Stadium update

Remove this Banner Ad

I really hope when they build the new stadium they make the playing area the same size as the current one at subiaco oval, and not make it small and chokey like the ones in melbourne

I really hope when they build the new stadium they make the playing area the same size as the current one at subiaco oval, and not make it small and chokey like the ones in melbourne

Actually Subi is only longer than every other stadium, its actually one of the narrowest grounds in the comp.

Thanks to AFL Insider tonight for that - they went through all the dimensions of all grounds which was really interesting.

Should mirror the size of the MCG I reckon.
I'm with you Carts, the new ground should be as close to Subiaco's dimensions as possible. I'd hate to see the new ground being the same size as the 'G, just for the possibility of one day playing in the GF.

Different size grounds makes for teams having to adjust their plans each match, which i think is a good thing.

I'm with you Carts, the new ground should be as close to Subiaco's dimensions as possible. I'd hate to see the new ground being the same size as the 'G, just for the possibility of one day playing in the GF.

Different size grounds makes for teams having to adjust their plans each match, which i think is a good thing.

Nah, i'd rather it be like the MCG as the MCG has all finals for foreseeable future. It just means each time the WA teams play in GF, they will have to "adjust their plans" where Melbourne based teams can just play their standard football. If the AFL was to say the GF was in a different state year by year I'd agree with you but till then.

I detect sarcasm :confused:

Apparently we will only have to wait seven more years for a new stadium.

Link

Even then it'll be over-time and over-budget. We probably won't see it completed until 2021. (Unless we hire some German contractors to build it - then it might be built by 2014.)

Col's going to have to jack up the mining royalties again and/or screw even more revenue out of the utilities to pay the 2-3 billion it's going to cost by then. Can't see the Feds tipping in much cash after the Premiers recent carry on.:(

Nah, i'd rather it be like the MCG as the MCG has all finals for foreseeable future. It just means each time the WA teams play in GF, they will have to "adjust their plans" where Melbourne based teams can just play their standard football. If the AFL was to say the GF was in a different state year by year I'd agree with you but till then.

Firstly that would be fair, professional and truly epitomise a national competition so it's not going to happen.

Secondly (and more seriously), I blieve the MCC have some sort of 'got you by the happy-sacks' type contract with the AFL which means that every GF until 2035 or something like that must be played at the MCG.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The idea that the size of Subi is a distinct advantage is a wrong one in my opinion. When Freo and WC are playing well they win home games when they aren't, they don't. AAMI is not the same size as Subi yet our recent record there is quite good, because the Adelaide sides are currently so piss poor.

Making the ground less oval and more rounded like the G means you could more likely have the ground on a north-south rotation and you could play cricket there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Stadium update

Remove this Banner Ad

Back