#StandforRoughy

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching AFL 360 on Tuesday night, I got the distinct impression from watching Jordan Lewis speak about Roughy's news that the prognosis is not good and is far worse than his first diagnosis of cancer last year, but I hope I'm wrong about that.

The fact that we're talking about the cancer spreading to other parts of his body is seriously concerning news for his welfare and long-term future.

Even if Roughy does make a full recovery from this latest health setback I don't think he'll return to football and frankly I wouldn't blame him as he's already achieved nearly everything that most professional footballers dream of when they first enter the system.

I'm not an oncologist but melanoma is very aggressive as cancers go. If Roughy has already had metastases I would think it's time to get your affairs in order. :(

why do i have the feeling weve seen the last of him as a player ?

may require frequent treatments over many years and be unable to recover sufficiently to train over the long periods necessary.

I hope not. Treatments impact each person differently, and hopefully they nip it in the bud and there isn't an ongoing regime, but if there is then at a minimum hopefully it is something that's not too debilitating and he can return to the footy field if that is what he wants to do.

I hope not. Treatments impact each person differently, and hopefully they nip it in the bud and there isn't an ongoing regime, but if there is then at a minimum hopefully it is something that's not too debilitating and he can return to the footy field if that is what he wants to do.

This is a life or death matter, no one cares about whether he'll play footy again any more.

This is a life or death matter, no one cares about whether he'll play footy again any more.

Thanks for the update. You clearly have far greater understanding of this situation than I do. All I'm aware of is that he's had a recurrence of his melanoma and that Lewis had indicated it's serious. I wasn't even sure that Lewis was making that claim because all cancer is serious or as a direct comment on Roughies current circumstance. It might be a little left field, but Roughy might actually care.

Thanks for the update. You clearly have far greater understanding of this situation than I do. All I'm aware of is that he's had a recurrence of his melanoma and that Lewis had indicated it's serious. I wasn't even sure that Lewis was making that claim because all cancer is serious or as a direct comment on Roughies current circumstance. It might be a little left field, but Roughy might actually care.

It is no longer just a skin cancer, it has spread to another organ although not specified which but skin cancer is among the most treatable cancers if treated early but now it has moved internally he requires chemo, radiation possibly and is a proper cancer patient.

Watching AFL 360 on Tuesday night, I got the distinct impression from watching Jordan Lewis speak about Roughy's news that the prognosis is not good and is far worse than his first diagnosis of cancer last year, but I hope I'm wrong about that.

The fact that we're talking about the cancer spreading to other parts of his body is seriously concerning news for his welfare and long-term future.

Even if Roughy does make a full recovery from this latest health setback I don't think he'll return to football and frankly I wouldn't blame him as he's already achieved nearly everything that most professional footballers dream of when they first enter the system.

It is very, very serious, a skin cancer that has spread to another organ is considered stage IV which is the most serious, which is what my mate with brain cancer has. Once cancer spreads it spreads quickly and it pretty much a terminal illness. :(

But look Roughy is young, fit and strong so he will give a hell of a fight and fingers crossed he can pull through.

I think a return of melanoma into the blood stream and onwards is an occurrence not to be wished on your worst enemy. That's just my observation not an informed opinion on Roughead's condition. Like anyone else I hope he somehow beats the odds and wins.

Once melanoma spreads the incredibly sad truth that no one wants to admit is it's often a case of "how long" not "will he beat it". Of course some people beat it, but right now Football is the LAST thing on Jarryd (and his poor family/partner's) mind right now.

I don't know Roughy but I feel like this is a huge blow for footy, the season will lose all meaning if the worst happens... Let's just hope a combination of good luck and the cutting edge of medicine can deliver a positive outcome. I don't think he'll ever play footy again, it can be a long battle.

Ah crap. This is just the worst news. To have your six month scan come back clear, then cop this, must be devastating for Roughy and his family. Hopefully he remains positive and puts everything he's got into this fight.

Maybe one day the world will realize how much money is wasted on crap. Money that could help solve some of words worst illnesses and diseases.
Are we still talking Jack Anthony at 300k a year for Freo here?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lance Armstrong, certainly it the nicest person ever, regardless of his sports ethics, had incredible recovery from cancer. I only bring this up, as in part it was his fitness that assisted. The advantage Roghead may have, is his physical fitness. Let's hope he recovers fully and has a long healthy life.

The return of cancer, that is scary. Looks like being found quickly and in small spots, sounds hopeful.

Our boards have list two posters of renown through terrible disease these past few years.

We are living longer in part to better medicines, let's hope the time comes when this dreadful disease is a thing of historical note only.

Sadly I don't think surgical invention would be possible in the lungs. I am surprised to learn his treatment is immune therapy which I had not heard of rather than traditional chemo and radiation.

Is that what Ron Walker Had?

I sadly say I be Shocked IF he plays Again

Ron Walker had it everywhere. 6 tumours in his brain, lungs, bones, even glands. That he got rid of it is a bloody miracle...

Isn't there some Wonder Drugs that cost a Fortune that made the Difference?

Yeah some 150 grand a year drug Walker tried to get on the PBS. Roughead will get access to it if it is suitable though, too many wealthy benefactors around AFL clubs would make sure of it.

I agree. Too many Rich People in the AFL that would not try and help Roughy.

Though IF it is this Miracle Drug that Walker claimed it to be. It should be on the PBS

Remove this Banner Ad

#StandforRoughy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back