#StandUpForRough: 2nd minute, 2nd quarter, Friday Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I too love the idea but think it will be a bit awkward if for example Buddy marks it inside 50 and we end up giving him a standing ovation. Perhaps it could be done pre game, 2 minutes before the bounce.
Buddy would be right behind this sort of initiative, very close with rough and i hear he is quite upset with what has happened, he may even drive it himself amongst the swans boys, you cant really go wrong with something like this everyone will be well and truly on board.

Buddy would be right behind this sort of initiative, very close with rough and i hear he is quite upset with what has happened, he may even drive it himself amongst the swans boys, you cant really go wrong with something like this everyone will be well and truly on board.
Well, apart from the tiny fact that Roughy and the club don't want it...

Well, apart from the tiny fact that Roughy and the club don't want it...
You know that 90+% of the crowd will do it anyway, right?

20,000 people will do it & when they do 20,000 others will follow, then the rest will get up.

If people think they can give back anything, the slightest bit of support or the slightest show of love, they'll be in it for Roughy. And I include Sydney supporters in this.

Thought it was beautiful. Nothing over the top. Pure class.

Thank you to everyone for getting this going. Hawthorn, Sydney, and all other fans.

While I appreciate that the club and the man himself wanted to keep it low key, I feel like this is a reminder to all that the fans are still deeply connected to their club and players, and in hard times want to show their support in the way that supporters do best.

Thought it was beautiful. Nothing over the top. Pure class.

Thank you to everyone for getting this going. Hawthorn, Sydney, and all other fans.

While I appreciate that the club and the man himself wanted to keep it low key, I feel like this is a reminder to all that the fans are still deeply connected to their club and players, and in hard times want to show their support in the way that supporters do best.

Sorry, I disagree. It was a lovely gesture, but the club and Roughy via the club had made it clear they didn't want anything done. Given that had been clearly communicated , I think it was disrespectful. The club isn't just being respectful of Roughy's interests in this regard either. It is also looking after the club. Focusing on Roughy's terrible news mid game seems likely to be upsetting to the playing group. Sydney kicked 5 unanswered goals immediately after this. Loss of focus from our side? Perhaps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry, I disagree. It was a lovely gesture, but the club and Roughy via the club had made it clear they didn't want anything done. Given that had been clearly communicated , I think it was disrespectful. The club isn't just being respectful of Roughy's interests in this regard either. It is also looking after the club. Focusing on Roughy's terrible news mid game seems likely to be upsetting to the playing group. Sydney kicked 5 unanswered goals immediately after this. Loss of focus from our side? Perhaps.
Completely agree. People were told by Hawthorn not to do it and continued to do it and it came out as being disrespectful. You could see that it affected the players on the ground as directly after it happened Sydney kicked a goal.
It was also awkward timing and didn't really make any sense as there were so many people who didn't know what was happening. Once it was over it was just pointless. He's not dead. We all want to support him during this time but have some respect and don't go against what the club clearly said not to do.

I saw that it happened and I have mixed feelings. Is it like when you are asked not to bring a gift to a party but you do anyway? Or is it a case of an uneeded reminder of a bad situation? Not sure. I can't help but think that on some level Roughy would have appreciated it despite what he said previously. Sometimes you say you don't want a fuss made but that doesn't mean it isn't nice to see people express that they care like that.

Not sure. But I do think that we and everyone really do need to focus on business as usual from this point on, give Roughy his privacy, let his friends and family take care of him, and just hope that things go as well as they can.

Yes. Like I said, It was a touching gesture, but misguided IMO , given what the club had said during the week. It was difficult not to get caught up in the crowd emotion, but I didn't participate.

That question wasn't directed at you tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back