PC Star Wars: TOR

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone have any "ways" of getting this game?

You can send 7 day free invite trials to people. Gives them access to download the client and 7 days play.

If you want PM me your email and I can certianly send you an invite? :thumbsu:

You get 25 x invites. I've only used 1 of them.

This game still worth getting? I played a little bit of the beta for like 15 levels and thought it was great but I've heard once you to max level and there's no leveling or story to get through the game sort of is bland and not great.

Anyone from here still play it regularly? Has the game kept it's popularity or is it dropping off like most other non WOW mmo's?

This game still worth getting? I played a little bit of the beta for like 15 levels and thought it was great but I've heard once you to max level and there's no leveling or story to get through the game sort of is bland and not great.

Anyone from here still play it regularly? Has the game kept it's popularity or is it dropping off like most other non WOW mmo's?

Im still playing it at the moment, untill Diablo comes out. But i have seen a drop off of some population in the later planets (Level 40-49), but for PVP etc i think its the same as it always was.

The PVP has actually increased its fun factor because all the casual noobs have left and now just mainly the hardcore MMO base.

Is worth getting untill Guild Wars 2 is released.

Diablo is getting a bit of hype but I've seen a few videos and doesn't look too appealing to me. Might wait and try GW2.

Did you play Diablo 2? Was an epic game, they are still making copies for sale almost 10-12 years later.

All the hype is from all the fan boys (including myself) that played the original 2 games.

Will be a massive seller.

Did you play Diablo 2? Was an epic game, they are still making copies for sale almost 10-12 years later.

All the hype is from all the fan boys (including myself) that played the original 2 games.

Will be a massive seller.

Nah, I didn't. Mostly Wow over the years.

Could anyone please explain to a MMO noob like myself what the different servers actually mean?
Different instances, each server I think has about 2500-3000 characters? (not subscribers as obviously you can have multiple characters).

Could be completely wrong on this though.

Unless you mean the difference between the PVP, PVE, and RP-PVE

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could anyone please explain to a MMO noob like myself what the different servers actually mean?

A "server" is basically a "computer" that hosts the game and it's players. Depending on how many resources (CPU power, RAM, HDD space etc) it has depends on how many players it can host.

In most MMOs servers are divided in to a few different category combinations:

1) PvE or PvP
- PvE = Player versus Environment... this the most common type and is where players mainly play against computer and complete the game content created by the developers (it is like single player campaign or co-op multiplayer against he game). You mainly play against the computer, other players can't attack you... unless you join in specific PvP (see below) in-game events or if "agree" (via setting an option) that you want to play as PvP. Basically, PvP is optionally and most of the game is PvE.

- PvP = Player versus Player... is where everyone in the game is open to attack anyone else in the game. The single player content is still there to complete, but whilst completing the tasks other players could attack you at any time and vice versa. So things are a lot more “free for all”.

2) RP
- RP = Role Play… this category extension can apply to both PvE and PvP servers (PvE RP or PvP RP). Again these servers follow the above standards, however, players are encouraged to “role play” (via msg chat or voice chat and actions) in accordance to their character and game. It is about “acting/living your character” for fun. It is less common and mostly reserved for the extreme fans/geeks and is a throw-back to the pen and paper version of Dungeons & Dragons on which most RPGs/MMOs are based.

3) Region & Location (which have slightly different effects for the players depending on the developer):
- Region… normally means which part of the world the server is setup to serve. Mainly so that most of the players from that region are drawn to it and will play at the same time together (ie instead of Aussies logging on to a US server and finding most of the players are sleeping). They also have their time settings set to that region too for convenience.
*** Servers are normally still down for updates though during region peaks times (for Aussies).
*** Also Region has no effect on latency at all as the servers are normally still hosted with all the other servers (commonly in the US).

- Location… this is where the server is physically located in the world… which DOES effect latency. The best example of this is SWTOR which is one of the few MMOs to have servers located in Australia. The result is instead of playing with a latency of ~300ms (on servers in the US) Australian gamers can enjoy latency of ~40ms (on the servers in AUS) and enjoy better game play.
HTH

So... does anyone still play this? What are the subscriber numbers like?

I'm still spending my gaming between this and D3. Still on my 1st toon... lvl 23 Vanguard, Rebel Alliance, Light Side. Currently wrapping up a number of missions on Taris.

Without knowing the actual numbers... their seems to be a solid population running around on the Aussie PvE server. Solid numbers on Taris within the 18-25 level range, and normally stacks of people running around either the Galactic Fleet hub or Corescent hub.

I'm about 14 of the way through, is it even worth it for 7 days haha.
I say no. I played it for a couple months with a heap of close friends. Never did it actually feel like I was playing with friend. Cant use vent cause everything is voice acted, in essence they were doing their own story. Really didnt feel like a true multiplayer game.

A "server" is basically a "computer" that hosts the game and it's players. Depending on how many resources (CPU power, RAM, HDD space etc) it has depends on how many players it can host.

In most MMOs servers are divided in to a few different category combinations:

1) PvE or PvP
- PvE = Player versus Environment... this the most common type and is where players mainly play against computer and complete the game content created by the developers (it is like single player campaign or co-op multiplayer against he game). You mainly play against the computer, other players can't attack you... unless you join in specific PvP (see below) in-game events or if "agree" (via setting an option) that you want to play as PvP. Basically, PvP is optionally and most of the game is PvE.

- PvP = Player versus Player... is where everyone in the game is open to attack anyone else in the game. The single player content is still there to complete, but whilst completing the tasks other players could attack you at any time and vice versa. So things are a lot more “free for all”.

2) RP
- RP = Role Play… this category extension can apply to both PvE and PvP servers (PvE RP or PvP RP). Again these servers follow the above standards, however, players are encouraged to “role play” (via msg chat or voice chat and actions) in accordance to their character and game. It is about “acting/living your character” for fun. It is less common and mostly reserved for the extreme fans/geeks and is a throw-back to the pen and paper version of Dungeons & Dragons on which most RPGs/MMOs are based.

3) Region & Location (which have slightly different effects for the players depending on the developer):
-Region… normally means which part of the world the server is setup to serve. Mainly so that most of the players from that region are drawn to it and will play at the same time together (ie instead of Aussies logging on to a US server and finding most of the players are sleeping). They also have their time settings set to that region too for convenience.
*** Servers are normally still down for updates though during region peaks times (for Aussies).
*** Also Region has no effect on latency at all as the servers are normally still hosted with all the other servers (commonly in the US).

-Location… this is where the server is physically located in the world… which DOES effect latency. The best example of this is SWTOR which is one of the few MMOs to have servers located in Australia. The result is instead of playing with a latency of ~300ms (on servers in the US) Australian gamers can enjoy latency of ~40ms (on the servers in AUS) and enjoy better game play.
HTH
Thanks mate, much appreciated!

Do most people play PVE or PVP? I guess PvP could get "annoying" at times?

Remove this Banner Ad

PC Star Wars: TOR

Remove this Banner Ad

Back