Roast Stephen Hill

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been on Freo forums a few times now saying the same thing over and over.

I'll say it again! Hilly's taggers should feel like they have to look over their shoulder in fear that someone is going to lay a fierce, crunching block. Fair but crunching, currently they get away with stepping on his toes, blocking his run, hanging off of his jumper an pushing him around. That's were Hill's next level will come from, his teammates.

In the game against Brisbane I noticed at one stage Raines pushing Hill in the chest
putting Hill on his backside, before standing over him and getting stuck into him verbally. Freo were happy to let that happen unbelievable.

At this stage Hill's going to have to break tags on his own, just until Freo really become that championship team and not a team of champions.

Agree...i think this Friday nights game is a good place to start.

Carazzo out injured is a big bonus for him.

Means he can go into the middle without being thrashed for clearances. And that he will get their second best tagger.

I've been on Freo forums a few times now saying the same thing over and over.

I'll say it again! Hilly's taggers should feel like they have to look over their shoulder in fear that someone is going to lay a fierce, crunching block. Fair but crunching, currently they get away with stepping on his toes, blocking his run, hanging off of his jumper an pushing him around. That's were Hill's next level will come from, his teammates.
...<snip>
At this stage Hill's going to have to break tags on his own, just until Freo really become that championship team and not a team of champions.

I seem to recall De Boer having a crack at Jones just before the first bounce, but that was about all. Wasn't very emphatic as statements go.

Looked to me like Hill lost him by going inside in the 3rd Quater and by halfway through the last Jones simply couldn't keep up. Really, the turn around is astonishing when you stop to think. Someone who used to be blowing before quater time at stages over the last three years just out-ran one of the comptetions elite endurance athletes. I mean we all wanted him fitter but where did this come from?

He's always been a good endurance runner. Just had a proper preseason this year. Interesting watching Carlton going after Heppell today. Good young players will have to wear it at some stage. It's how you work through it. Hilly is a champ. A bit shy & humble but very very determined.

Hill had two clearances.

Of course he can win his own ball, but it's not his natural role, he's not a natural bash and crash inside ball winning magnet.

He's never going to have the inside instinct or skills of a Barlow or Fyfe or Mundy, so I struggle to see the push to get him there.

His game tonight was fantastic, he out worked his opponent through will and fitness.

Loved it toward the end.

Well Pav, it seems the coaching staff are more aligned to myself and Clay's view.

Word for word said it's easier for him to lose him man on the inside. 2 minute mark:

[YOUTUBE]tjdbaQQxSmU[/YOUTUBE]

Well Pav, it seems the coaching staff are more aligned to myself and Clay's view.

Word for word said it's easier for him to lose him man on the inside. 2 minute mark:

[YOUTUBE]tjdbaQQxSmU[/YOUTUBE]

Well which is it Chops, he's a pure inside mid or he's not?

Of course it's easier to lose your man in traffic, but is he a natural clearance inside ball winner?

Absolutely not.

Anyone catch the Dons vs Blues? Lonergans tackle on Carrazzo broke his collar bone in the first, gave away a free but put their best tagged out of the match.

Stanton gets off the leash and dominates.

Well which is it Chops, he's a pure inside mid or he's not?

Of course it's easier to lose your man in traffic, but is he a natural clearance inside ball winner?

Absolutely not.

Anyone catch the Dons vs Blues? Lonergans tackle on Carrazzo broke his collar bone in the first, gave away a free but put their best tagged out of the match.

Stanton gets off the leash and dominates.

It's a stupid question, because he is neither a pure inside mid or an outside receiver.

Yes, I do think he is very effective with clearances because of his agility he is able to get into space with a couple of steps and set up play.

What you're getting confused with is a first hands player. No, I don't believe he is your Haselby/ Barlow type tap receive player. But yes, he is a natural clearance player. And yes, he is effective at stoppages because of his ability to clear the ball.

It's a stupid question, because he is neither a pure inside mid or an outside receiver.

Yes, I do think he is very effective with clearances because of his agility he is able to get into space with a couple of steps and set up play.

What you're getting confused with is a first hands player. No, I don't believe he is your Haselby/ Barlow type tap receive player. But yes, he is a natural clearance player. And yes, he is effective at stoppages because of his ability to clear the ball.

I'm not confused at all.

You're right he's not a first hands player, he's best served being the second or third link in the chain from the stoppage.

As Lloyd said some of Mundys class draws attention away fro
Hill and allows him to play his game more freely.

I agree with what you're saying in regards to using that agility and pace to burst free from congestion, but he'll never be that Judd/Ablett type who win the hard ball and then burst clear, he's best when he's given the ball.

Of course it's easier to lose a hard tag in traffic, and when he's getting the ball inside he's obviously playing better than when he's not, but he's simply not an inside mid.

Mitchell, Watson, Bartel and Selwood etc, they're inside mids. Hill's game in close isn't even comparable. Without even going into the physical aspects of it, he hasn't got the hands required and his right foot is still poor.

It'd be great if he can improve that side of his game to the point where opposition can't really shut him out of games like they do now, but the in close physical part of playing inside is never going to be one of Hill's strengths.

Anyways, from Hilly's game last night, when we feed it out to him, he's really starting to be agressive with how he's using his pace, which is great to see. The vast majority of players can't come close to him over those first few metres, and when he can get a clean break away from packs like that, he's going to murder some teams.

It's also good to see how he's running out matches. Every game so far he's started the 1st half pretty quietly, then come home hard in the 2nd. Clearly it's not a coincidence. The massive preseason is starting to pay off.

Looking forward to seeing him having a good first half sooner or later, will be nice to see a 4 QTR performance.

His right foot is still poor. Are you serious you have no idea IAMJUNGLEMUFFIN.

No idea!!! Hills right foot is immaculate as far as the wrong side of the body goes.

Armfield will come back in to tag Hill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His right foot is still poor. Are you serious you have no idea IAMJUNGLEMUFFIN.

No idea!!! Hills right foot is immaculate as far as the wrong side of the body goes.

Armfield will come back in to tag Hill.

I agree. One shank on his right last night and all of the sudden it's "poor". He has a great right foot.

I don't get it. I watched the game again today, and while he didn't have the ball on a string in the first half, he wasn't deplorable.

Does he have to get 7 possessions every single quarter to not be a complete dud or something?

I don't get it. I watched the game again today, and while he didn't have the ball on a string in the first half, he wasn't deplorable.

Does he have to get 7 possessions every single quarter to not be a complete dud or something?
I reckon he suffers from the 'NicNat' Syndrome. Meaning he was recruited to play to his greatest attribute, this being his speed and secondary his pinpoint burst kicking.
Now when this doesn't happen during the game, people get upset and write him off. They tend to not look at his gametime overall. What I personally liked from Hilly on Friday was his defensive game was very very good and he really seems to enjoy the running back flanker type of role. THE PAV highlighted in the last qtr how IMPORTANT it was to shepard for Hilly when he has the ball.

This thread was started after the Brisbane game I think. But yes the principle remains. Hill is held to higher standards than anyone else in our team due to where he was taken in the draft and the players taken after him. Revisionist love to point to the likes of Hartlett & Ziebell or Hurley who they were absolutely stone cold positive at the time would be stars.
He (Hill) can be a bit of a soft target as he can be a little, well, soft at times. He's a shy young man who's perhaps a bit humble to fully display his talents yet.
We thrilled to the free wheeling young gazelle he was before his incredibly damaging skills brought the wrath of oppo taggers down upon him.
About 1/3 of the way through 2010 one of the footy shows displayed a stat that Hill was the number one player in the comp for goals scored off his inside 50 balls and they also showed how far he was carrying the ball on average (I think).
Around this time teams began to send there biggest thug out to teach Hill what it's like to play with the big boys and like many before him (including those as great as Kerr and sometimes even Judd) he found it a bit harder to get hold of the ball when he was getting scragged, punched and pinched every time he went near it.
He developed shin splints at the start of 2011 and the recently retired Paul Haselby declared our season dead in the water before it began such is how highly he rates Hill's importance to the Freo machine.
With reduced fitness and the fact our other decent mids were all injured making him easier to tag, he had a poor year by his standards despite still finishing top 6 or so in most statistical indicators and of course footballer watchers with limited patience were forced to conclude that he was washed up at 21 and a waste of a draft pick and he joined a long line of distinguished whipping boys here on the Freo boards.
Ross Lyon (who of course knows little about football compared to the great minds here) commented upon joining our fine institution that in his opinion he always put most of his planning into stopping Hill because he's such a devastating player on the burst. Ross went on to say that he considered Stephen to tracking perfectly in his development for his age (shows how much he knows right?).
This year having completed a full pre-season we are seeing the next stage of his development as he gradually learns the business of playing at the elite level with the company of a tagger. As well as having prodigious burst speed Hilly is an elite distance runner and he's learning the tricks of the trade to outwit a minder. All of 22 years of age he has a few years left in him yet. He has an excellent work ethic, works both ways hard and is running out games really nicely now.
As our other elite mids become fit and available Stephen's job should get easier and by the time we have Mundy, Barlow, Fyfe & Morabito (please God let it be soon) lining up alongside him in the centre he will be causing carnage regularly.
It is interesting to note that when a Crowley or McPhee tags a superstar like Judd or Hodge (elite footballers in the prime of their career) out of a game we think it's natural, that the tagger has only done what's expected yet when Hill is tagged out of a game by one of other elite stoppers in the game he is pilloried as lazy and soft.
It is however true to say that he doesn't go as hard as he could sometimes and it's fair that he cops a whack every now and then for taking short steps or dropping his head but players develop at different rates and he's still quite immature in some respects. If he keeps tracking the way he is he's going to be a sensation by the time he's 25 or so.
(apologies for the short essay, I just finished writing a Uni essay and clearly still had a bit in the tank).

This thread was started after the Brisbane game I think. But yes the principle remains. Hill is held to higher standards than anyone else in our team due to where he was taken in the draft and the players taken after him. Revisionist love to point to the likes of Hartlett & Ziebell or Hurley who they were absolutely stone cold positive at the time would be stars.
He (Hill) can be a bit of a soft target as he can be a little, well, soft at times. He's a shy young man who's perhaps a bit humble to fully display his talents yet.
We thrilled to the free wheeling young gazelle he was before his incredibly damaging skills brought the wrath of oppo taggers down upon him.
About 1/3 of the way through 2010 one of the footy shows displayed a stat that Hill was the number one player in the comp for goals scored off his inside 50 balls and they also showed how far he was carrying the ball on average (I think).
Around this time teams began to send there biggest thug out to teach Hill what it's like to play with the big boys and like many before him (including those as great as Kerr and sometimes even Judd) he found it a bit harder to get hold of the ball when he was getting scragged, punched and pinched every time he went near it.
He developed shin splints at the start of 2011 and the recently retired Paul Haselby declared our season dead in the water before it began such is how highly he rates Hill's importance to the Freo machine.
With reduced fitness and the fact our other decent mids were all injured making him easier to tag, he had a poor year by his standards despite still finishing top 6 or so in most statistical indicators and of course footballer watchers with limited patience were forced to conclude that he was washed up at 21 and a waste of a draft pick and he joined a long line of distinguished whipping boys here on the Freo boards.
Ross Lyon (who of course knows little about football compared to the great minds here) commented upon joining our fine institution that in his opinion he always put most of his planning into stopping Hill because he's such a devastating player on the burst. Ross went on to say that he considered Stephen to tracking perfectly in his development for his age (shows how much he knows right?).
This year having completed a full pre-season we are seeing the next stage of his development as he gradually learns the business of playing at the elite level with the company of a tagger. As well as having prodigious burst speed Hilly is an elite distance runner and he's learning the tricks of the trade to outwit a minder. All of 22 years of age he has a few years left in him yet. He has an excellent work ethic, works both ways hard and is running out games really nicely now.
As our other elite mids become fit and available Stephen's job should get easier and by the time we have Mundy, Barlow, Fyfe & Morabito (please God let it be soon) lining up alongside him in the centre he will be causing carnage regularly.
It is interesting to note that when a Crowley or McPhee tags a superstar like Judd or Hodge (elite footballers in the prime of their career) out of a game we think it's natural, that the tagger has only done what's expected yet when Hill is tagged out of a game by one of other elite stoppers in the game he is pilloried as lazy and soft.
It is however true to say that he doesn't go as hard as he could sometimes and it's fair that he cops a whack every now and then for taking short steps or dropping his head but players develop at different rates and he's still quite immature in some respects. If he keeps tracking the way he is he's going to be a sensation by the time he's 25 or so.
(apologies for the short essay, I just finished writing a Uni essay and clearly still had a bit in the tank).

That's the most important thing to consider. Rioli had Scott Selwood giving him a hard tag and he was terrible until the last quarter. The main thing that had me a little concerned was that sometimes the players who tag Hill aren't taggers at all. Sometimes they are just as young or younger and completely nullify him. Eg Taylor Hunt in round 1 (although Hill still worked into the game in the second half). People on here should be a lot more enthusiastic after Hill played a blinder against Clinton Jones who is a great tagger and good player.

Under Ross Lyon Stephen Hill will become a superstar.

Some really good points you made E shed.

One thing I noticed hilly do in the second or third last nite which I haven't seen him do since I don't know when.Hilly was getting semi-corralled and then he put on the jets and zig-zagged at great pace,sort of like a gazelle being chased down.

I bagged him a couple of weeks ago through sheer frustration,but the last couple of weeks that has subsided.

I remember Lyon at the start of the season specifically challenged fyfe & hilly to take that next step,hilly seems to have taken up that challenge.

Jeez I'm seriously gunna froth when we've got mundy Barlow,fyfe,hill,sandi & mora setting up for a stoppage.That should translate into a few uncontested marks inside fifty.

Something I've noticed over the last couple of games is that just about every single time Stephen is on the ground (either tackling or tackled) the opposition player gives him a little push or knock afterwards. Not only intimidating, but also preventing him from getting up quickly and go to the next contest. Happens more to Hill than anyone bar Frodo, and we never remonstrate.

tumblr_m2uh8pehIh1rusgvyo1_500.jpg

Something I've noticed over the last couple of games is that just about every single time Stephen is on the ground (either tackling or tackled) the opposition player gives him a little push or knock afterwards. Not only intimidating, but also preventing him from getting up quickly and go to the next contest. Happens more to Hill than anyone bar Frodo, and we never remonstrate.

I also noticed Mundy "helping" out his tagger when he could. An unlikely source. But good to see. You need that comradery on the field.

I love how Dal Santo is down in the foreground with Crowley standing nice and quiet watching the contest.

^^^^^^ That's classic isn't it? Jones simply holds Hill down while Crowley puts his man down without the need to hold him down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Stephen Hill

Remove this Banner Ad

Back