Roast Stephen Hill

Remove this Banner Ad

Fyfe was named our best, he was under alot of pressure but he still managed to have a good game and did some nice things. Hill on the other hand was a non entity until they moved shaw off him.
and 30% of his possessions were clangers, versus 16% of Hills 18. Hill did more to help us win than Fyfe really, as evidence by as soon as he started getting the ball, we started playing better. Fyfe is given this giant golden ticket because he gets a lot of the ball, but when will everyone realise that it isn't how much you get it, but what you do with it. People are too obsessed with numbers.

Oh and Fyfe wasn't even named in the top 5 of our best. He was awful today.

What a blatant lie. Tagging Fyfe reduces his effectiveness, all you have to do is watch today, when he was under massive pressure he kicked it poorly, one time he tried to kick off balance and sliced it OOF.

Both need to learn how to break a tag. Hill is working hard, you can see it because he is exhausted trying to run from his man. He finally broke it in the second half when they shifted Shaw to Barlow and put Jack on him. The other problem was, this game was not very open and never was going to be so that always limits his effectiveness. Pretty hard to use your two dominant weapons when the ball is surrounded by 20 players all the time.

The people on this forum that constantly bag players like this make me feel ill to be a supporter of the same club. Especially when it is the same supporters week in week out. It is like they don't actually support the club, but would prefer to bag it to make themselves feel better. Last week Pavlich finally broke his "choker" tag according to Bellend, now Hill is shit. Every week Ibbo cops a roasting from you, even when he does well. Mundy was also your favourite player to bag for a long time. Then there was the whole "Steves" and jumper colour bullshit. Have you ever said a good word about the club?

Yeah! Totally agree good to have your opinions but we lost one game so what. Let's support our club with mature debate slagging our players off won't help.

The people on this forum that constantly bag players like this make me feel ill to be a supporter of the same club. Especially when it is the same supporters week in week out. It is like they don't actually support the club, but would prefer to bag it to make themselves feel better. Last week Pavlich finally broke his "choker" tag according to Bellend, now Hill is shit. Every week Ibbo cops a roasting from you, even when he does well. Mundy was also your favourite player to bag for a long time. Then there was the whole "Steves" and jumper colour bullshit. Have you ever said a good word about the club?

Mundy used to frustrate people so much because they could see his potential - now he has lived up to it. Huzzah.

Ibbo 'the pullout king' is on my shitlist because he consistantly fails to impact the contest.

and 30% of his possessions were clangers, versus 16% of Hills 18. Hill did more to help us win than Fyfe really, as evidence by as soon as he started getting the ball, we started playing better. Fyfe is given this giant golden ticket because he gets a lot of the ball, but when will everyone realise that it isn't how much you get it, but what you do with it. People are too obsessed with numbers.

Oh and Fyfe wasn't even named in the top 5 of our best. He was awful today.

Yeah, Matthew Boyd's a dud too. You seriously lose credibility when you knock Fyfe like that. The SCG is the type of ground where disposal efficiency counts for less and if it weren't for Fyfe we would of lost by 50 points. You do realize that in a team like ours with a lot of forwards who can't mark for shit disposal efficiency goes down even if the kick is to a target. You're also forgetting that Fyfe is carrying our entire midfield at the moment unitl Barlow comes on.

Was almost an exact replica of last weeks game. First half he was extremely quiet, second half (really the last quarter) he came alive and was influential. He's still young I am willing to give him time but its frustrating when we know what he is capable of. Sooner or later its gonna click and he will tear a few teams apart and not look back.

Yeah, Matthew Boyd's a dud too. You seriously lose credibility when you knock Fyfe like that. The SCG is the type of ground where disposal efficiency counts for less and if it weren't for Fyfe we would of lost by 50 points. You do realize that in a team like ours with a lot of forwards who can't mark for shit disposal efficiency goes down even if the kick is to a target. You're also forgetting that Fyfe is carrying our entire midfield at the moment unitl Barlow comes on.
Since when did I mention Matthew Boyd? I wasn't aware I was posting as Arcassius too.

You do realise that 50% of Fyfes possessions went straight to the opposition. On a small ground, that hurts. Disposal efficiency hurts more on a smaller ground than on a bigger ground, because there is no space for you to smack a kick into and let players run onto it like he did last week. You have to hit a target or the ball is over your head and inside their 50 within two kicks, unlike 3-4 at Subiaco.

As for Boyd.. he is a bit of a spud. Good in and under like Priddis, but don't let him kick. That type of thing is letting the bulldogs down, kicking skills. They look 100% better with Griffin playing this week, someone who can kick the ball.

Would love to see him play as the sub- he'd have no tag and fresh legs. Would be amazing to see him break a game open.

Did you watch the game? How many of your possessions you think he grabbed it and hacked it forward cause every time someone picked it up they got driven in to the ground. It's easy to get a high disposal efficiency when you are in open space.

Hang on Bradesman.. arent you the guy that had a go at another bloke for taking easy pot shots at Dawson, Suban, Pearce et al. I see now.. you picked Fyfe to get stuck in to to be controversial and get an argument. Well played sir.

I really wanted an umpire to ping Shaw for holding Hill's jumper, he was attached like a bloody leach all game. Every stoppage, Stephen would TRY to run at the ball, but would be going at half pace because he was literally dragging Shaw through the pack. The umpires obviously aren't going to give him a free, so we need one of the bigger bodies to start ironing out his taggers (Crowley, Mcphee, Pav, Sandi, Clarke, Dawson). Gods if Sandi and Zac started Shepherding for Hill, his taggers would be very nervous.

If the opponent is fit, you will always struggle to break a tag yourself. It's a team effort to free a tagged player. Stephen does ok when he can get his hands on it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you tag a superstar like Judd or Joel Selwood they get cheap frees off the ball for holding or scragging, thats just the way it is. Unfortunately Hill started getting tagged before he could demonstrate to the umps that he is a champion so he isnt privvy to those calls.

Since when did I mention Matthew Boyd? I wasn't aware I was posting as Arcassius too.

You do realise that 50% of Fyfes possessions went straight to the opposition. On a small ground, that hurts. Disposal efficiency hurts more on a smaller ground than on a bigger ground, because there is no space for you to smack a kick into and let players run onto it like he did last week. You have to hit a target or the ball is over your head and inside their 50 within two kicks, unlike 3-4 at Subiaco.

As for Boyd.. he is a bit of a spud. Good in and under like Priddis, but don't let him kick. That type of thing is letting the bulldogs down, kicking skills. They look 100% better with Griffin playing this week, someone who can kick the ball.

Same with Josh Kennedy. His disposal efficiency was only 2% better yet he was still BOG and killed us. As for Boyd I was inferring that he makes a hell of a lot of mistakes yet is still one of the premier mids in the game.

So, if I'm reading this right, Shaw was sent to tag Barlow because he was starting to have an influence on the game .
If Mundy comes back in and regains his best form, then he would get the tagger that otherwise would have gone to Hill . Then when Morabito returns and starts having an impact with his run and long kicking into our forward line, presumably he will get the tagger that would have gone to Hill, which by now would be the third best tagger.

So, in essence, it is a case of when we line up with our prime midfield the sum will be greater than the parts.
Really, that's been the whole problem. They can't tag the entire team, ... can they ?

I wouldn't have said Kennedy was BOG. He was ok, but not great. McVeigh was best for them.

Boyd? Premier midfielder? He's not even good enough to be in the same postcode.

Of coarse you wouldn't say Kennedy was BOG, because that would crush your argument. Boyd's All Australians and high Brownlow vote numbers would also disagree with you.

Of coarse you wouldn't say Kennedy was BOG, because that would crush your argument. Boyd's All Australians and high Brownlow vote numbers would also disagree with you.
Yes because Brownlow votes are the be all and end all of everything.

That is something I don't get. Everyone bags out umpires as if they are **** but trust them to get the best player in the competition right?

And the whole Football community knows it. I just hope the club properly addresses it.

Rather simplistic view.

Hill is not without courage, he just has to learn how to contribute when he is off the pace.

I still wish they would give him a more specific role when he cops the tag - push back or even forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Stephen Hill

Remove this Banner Ad

Back