Discussion Steven Baker's Chest

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone on SEN ( might have been Brereton , not sure ) commented that both players were going at each other throughout the game, but both of them were being careful not to be seen by the umpires.

SEN probably believe in the tooth fairy too! (but if it was Brereton maybe it was only the peroxide leaking again).

At one stage they were going at it in the middle of the ground! There is an umpire behind them, a goal umpire, and an emergency umpire who would have a full view of what was going on.

Chris - reckon you're battling on that one too. Plenty of real solid defensive efforts tonight and a great inclusion by Lyon (particularly after Baker's eye was split open behind play).

Haha I don't think so Squizzy. He played pretty well but almost everybody else played out of their skins as well. It was just that sort of game. And if you remember, Aaron Fiora used to play alright, when the team played well too.:)

Haha I don't think so Squizzy. He played pretty well but almost everybody else played out of their skins as well. It was just that sort of game. And if you remember, Aaron Fiora used to play alright, when the team played well too.:)

Time will tell.

I think people are selling him short, or expecting him to rebound like Sam Gilbert (and when he doesn't or makes a blue he's no good).

Playing him as a defensive forward was a mistake, particularly doing it in a GF when he'd hardly played in the position all year (and in addition he'd had no pre-season due to the knee injury and was back in Rnd 15 after doing the knee in Rnd 22 the previous year).

He's got no left side, isn't our most ferocious tackler, and doesn't get alot of it. Sure.

But he's 192cm, is faster than most on our list, is a good spoiler, does numerous team-oriented acts during a game, and can kick 55m. You need to accept that's a Ross Lyon prototype!!!

The game against Geelong was a hot contest, and anyone not up to it would have been exposed on the night. Geelong had 52 inside 50s (that's plenty of forward entries). Dempster laid 4 tackles and produced 4 spoils (only Sam Fish had more).

Really not sure what we're expecting from the bloke.

I cant wait to see Stevie Baker running out in the Saints colours, bum out, chest puffed up, head turning left and right just checking out who is where.

Then he sees an opportunity, his head dips and suddenly he displays a surprising turn of speed. He's not going to the ball. He's puting himself between the ball and the opponent, his arms wide, he's shepherding - protecting our player as he collects the ball.

Now Stevie leaves the opponent he shepherded away and runs forward again at a surprising pace, heading towards CHF. Our player with the ball has been coralled and given the ball off to a team mate running past, but the region is getting congested and forward momentum is stalling.

Then they see Stevie Baker. He has bullocked his way through heavy traffic and now is past the congestion. Goddard chips it to him and within 0.5 sec Bakes has got it to his boot aiming for the area that Riewoldt is running forward to.

Mark. Goal.

Everyone comments on the burst of speed that Riewoldt had shown to get clear of his opponent. Others had commented on the amazing ability of Goddard to give off the precise kick to Baker while under so much pressure.

Not many recognised that the real workhorse was Baker. His skills may not be as sublime as his more august team mates but his footy brain and work ethic are so valuable to us.

Anyone who thinks all he does is tag opponents is just not watching footy.

I love the guy.

I love the way he thinks.

and I wish he was immortal so we'd never have to play without him.

Latest Steven Baker tweets:

I smell - 6:24pm July 25th

Think Jack got on my twitter account. He's been banned from my computer now.. Ha - 7:43pm July 25th

zacd_6 (Zac Dawson) RT Rooey's cooking a feast for the Baker house....and robs still rambling.... - About 4 hours ago.

I'll keep posting the latest tweets from the great man:

Tough weights session this morning, off to Pods once again. Maybe some golf later - About 6 hours ago

Just played 9 holes of golf... It's fair to say I'm terrible at the sport, did provide some comic relief for the boys though! - About 1 hour ago

I'll keep posting the latest tweets from the great man:

Tough weights session this morning, off to Pods once again. Maybe some golf later - About 6 hours ago

Just played 9 holes of golf... It's fair to say I'm terrible at the sport, did provide some comic relief for the boys though! - About 1 hour ago

"Ouch" I've got to say I wouldn't like to be playing golf in the company of Fisher and Goddard.

"Ouch" I've got to say I wouldn't like to be playing golf in the company of Fisher and Goddard.

I wouldn't want to be Fish or BJ putting up with Bakes' sneezing and coughing "f_ckyou" during their backswing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion Steven Baker's Chest

Remove this Banner Ad

Back