Storm been stripped of premierships

Remove this Banner Ad

How is it the NRL's fault that the Storm cheated? Did they tell them to cheat? I am sorry but Brisbane have had to release players to be under the cap, and frankly Melbourne should have to as well.

It's not the NRL's fault, but this wasn't the smart thing to do. The NRL and the Storm are now a joke in Melbourne (and everywhere else), the club probably won't survive, and league may very well be on it's last legs in here.

Basically, by trying to kick the Storm's ass, the NRL also kicked their own ass. Not clever.

Yes ATO can and most likely will investigate Storm and the players.

Don't think the Storm players can sue as their legal contract would have only involve legal payments within the salary cap, the other money wouldn't be mentioned. Even if they did the ATO would have a say in it and investigate those players.

Correct

If you are receiving 'cash in hand payments' then you are very aware that this is the extra payments agreed to which is NOT known about by the NRL and not taxable as it doesn't exist.

Any player that has not declared their full income that equals the amount in the second set of books is equally as guilty as the club for knowing breaching the cap....... look out for some players being Fined / Taxed / Suspended.

There's a lot more to be played out here. Those implicated in setting-up the scheme would be quite concerned about what might follow.

I really feel for the majority of the club who were oblivious to the deception - they must be gutted. What is way over the top with the penalties is not allowing the club to play for points for the remainder of the year.

Any player that has not declared their full income that equals the amount in the second set of books is equally as guilty as the club for knowing breaching the cap....... look out for some players being Fined / Taxed / Suspended.

Gonna be a lot of talk about who these players are, they deserve bans too.

What is way over the top with the penalties is not allowing the club to play for points for the remainder of the year.
2010 is the year they have breached the cap by the largest amount, $700,000. It's stripping the premierships that is the harsh call but probably the correct call. Respect for the NRL went up, they have handled this well so far.

You have to be kidding right? I'm a passionate supporter of both NRL & AFL and this is horrible.

I'm a Parramatta supporter who could feel aggrieved by the fact we lost to the Storm last year. I don't want the premiership (nor are we getting it), and I wish this didn't happen.

Just when the code was starting to get some sort of continual positive press. After the hiding it took in the media last year with drunken incidents etc thanks to the momentum built at the end of 2009, 2010 was shaping up to be the best in a while.

So no, this is not a good day for any supporter. Not to mention now the eventual 2010 premiers will have a slight cloud of 'was Melbourne better than them?' hanging over.

Sorry then, it just seemed to be coming across that way. There is a lot of smugness from some posters, when really anyone with a true liking of League should be rueing this for the dark day it is.

Melbourne Storm are effectively dead, the timing of the Union team could not be worse for NRL.

Surely a full audit of all clubs needs to be undertaken, how could this happen for 5 years without no-one knowing? Anyone could be doing it. And now that they have set this precedent, they will have to mete out similar punishments if anyone else has breached.

You have to be kidding right? I'm a passionate supporter of both NRL & AFL and this is horrible.

I'm a Parramatta supporter who could feel aggrieved by the fact we lost to the Storm last year. I don't want the premiership (nor are we getting it), and I wish this didn't happen.

Just when the code was starting to get some sort of continual positive press. After the hiding it took in the media last year with drunken incidents etc thanks to the momentum built at the end of 2009, 2010 was shaping up to be the best in a while.

So no, this is not a good day for any supporter. Not to mention now the eventual 2010 premiers will have a slight cloud of 'was Melbourne better than them?' hanging over.

2010 was still throwing up another NRL **** up.

The Storm issue will just cover up the NRL's refereeing **** ups.

Isnt there 2 games this week with a different umpiring set up to the other games?

Farcial sport run by a bunch of clowns.

Please.

They cheated. Not once, but religiously. Got what they deserved and in the process put the game here in massive danger.

Shame on them.

Agreed.

There is no conspiracy out there against the Storm. This is where cheating takes you. Just ask the Bulldogs back in 02. On the way to success and then it all comes out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The NRL have got it wrong. Fine take away the flags, the minor priemerships, fine them, all OK with that.

BUT, to deny a side the ability to win when the club will be utterly on its knees is just stupid. How can the fans rally to save an endangered club?

Force them under the cap, suspend any players who colluded but let them play for something.

There's a lot more to be played out here. Those implicated in setting-up the scheme would be quite concerned about what might follow.

I really feel for the majority of the club who were oblivious to the deception - they must be gutted. What is way over the top with the penalties is not allowing the club to play for points for the remainder of the year.

Spot on, that will create a farce for all teams involved. They would be better off just folding up the club.

Please.

They cheated. Not once, but religiously. Got what they deserved and in the process put the game here in massive danger.

Shame on them.

Reckon there might be a few other clubs more than a little worried tonight.

I wonder whether the Melbourne Rebels will be seeking a new CEO in the next few days.?

Firstly, let me state my position.

I LOVE RUGBY LEAGUE AND HATE THE STORM!

This is a disgraceful day for the game in this country. This is a blatent disregard by certain storm administrators that could think that they are bigger than the competition.

Why would the NRL bite themselves like this when they now that the new TV rights are up in a couple of years.

Super League people can go screw themselves!

So you are telling me all the other clubs are clean.. BS.

Did I say that?

My own team effectivly ended their season when they cheated the cap. I wore that without blaming others and pointed the finger directly at the club. You should too.

Reckon there might be a few other clubs more than a little worried tonight.

I wonder whether the Melbourne Rebels will be seeking a new CEO in the next few days.?

If it took 5 years to find the Storm out, I'm sure there will be other breaches in the league. Obviously not of the amounts we've gone over.

Surely not. I can't see how Waldron will be able to maintain his job with the Rebels in light of this.

Is possible...Bronco's have been doing it for years.

Yet they have let go of Civonoceva, Hannant, Ennis, etc in recent years..plus Hunt! Who have Melbourne let go..Hoffman..well strike me pink, that is not legal I am sorry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Storm been stripped of premierships

Remove this Banner Ad

Back