Pantsless

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2003
Auckland, New Zealand
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Storm, Arse, Victory
Not sure why I haven't seen this on here yet, but in Punchlines in the Hun yesterday there was a tiny paragraph about the Storm playing to OO for the next 2 years whilst the CG and the redevelopment happen.

In theory, its a good temporary move.... but the 64 thousand dollar question is what is transport access and parking like, and what about the possibility of Melbournians not wanting to attend Carltons old home ground..?

Optus sits on a tram line and would have more parking than OP. Also, Royal Park train station isn't too far away either.

It's only 2 kms from the CBD.

The only problem is viewing a rectangular game in an oval. I've seen a couple of RL games there in the past and it wasn't bad from memory.

littleduck said:
In theory, its a good temporary move.... but the 64 thousand dollar question is what is transport access and parking like, and what about the possibility of Melbournians not wanting to attend Carltons old home ground..?

5min walk from Jewell Train Station on the Upfield Line.

avg 10,000 people there should be no drama's for parking

just hope they set up the ground so its 1/2 decemt to watch the game, have seen some soccer matches played there and it is pretty ordinary.

good temp move

Never been to OO, so this is good incentive to take a look.

Wonder if there's any promotional value in the fact that the Storm are reviving a historical boutique ground for a year or two?

I hope they do well out of it but the viewing would be as bad as OP. It's a big ground.

Balmain played two games there in 1994 and the famous Ashes test of 1992 was played there (GB won 33-10).

Jeffles said:
I hope they do well out of it but the viewing would be as bad as OP. It's a big ground.
Apart from viewing remaining the same, almost certainly spectator comfort and the standard of facilities would be way up.... my only concern is Optus Ovals longstanding connection with Carlton and the general Melbourne public avoiding the ground on that reason.

littleduck said:
Apart from viewing remaining the same, almost certainly spectator comfort and the standard of facilities would be way up.... my only concern is Optus Ovals longstanding connection with Carlton and the general Melbourne public avoiding the ground on that reason.

We all fell sorry for Carlton now.

Except when we smashed them in Rd 21...that was great!

Seriously, I wouldn't think it was an issue.

Would there be any marketing potential in having some sort of offer for old season ticketholders etc from when Carlton were still there? Might be something to tap into...

Also what are the corporate facilities like? The small offerings of Olympic Park are oversubscribed, the corporate sector love the Storm for some reason.

the corporate facilities are there.

don't see the crowd following. i expect attendance to be way down. storm should put a lot of a thought into this before deciding.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pantsless said:
Seriously, I wouldn't think it was an issue.

Well it wasn't an issue when we played there, when playing well we got half decent to very good crowds, so yeah I agree :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Storm to Optus Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Back