Strange Hypothetical

Remove this Banner Ad

Roundhouse

Club Legend
Feb 9, 2006
AFL Club
Fremantle
This isn't a troll and it isn't about any particular club, or clubs. It is a just a hypothetical question I want to pose to all footy supporters.

Question Which club in these two scenarios (over a six year period), would you say has been more successful. Why?

Club A
Year : 2046 2047 2048 2049 2050 2051 2052 2053
Position: ? 9th 10th 1st 10th 9th 10th ?

Club B
Position : ? 2nd 3rd 2nd 3rd 2nd 3rd ?

Some points to clarify.
  • The position indicated is the position after the finals, not the regular season.
  • It is in the distant future, so we don't know whether the clubs have had recent premiership success or not.
  • The club's position at either end of the five year period is unknown. It could be first, or last, or anywhere in between. It is about judging this six year period, not about what happened before or what could happen after.
  • It is concerned with a random six year period in the future because this is not about your club's list at the moment. It is about defining success, and how you measure it.
  • All current AFL rules regarding drafts and trading apply.
  • I realize that there are heaps of unknowns, and that this is reason enough to reserve your opinion. Fair enough. If you think this is stupid, don't post.
  • It is clear that neither scenario is ideal.
  • It is clear that neither scenario is likely to happen.
  • Am interested to read what all posters have to say.
  • Most importantly! Please state why when giving your choice.
Cheers!
RH

Club B of course, but Club A has a much brighter future, providing the draft situation stays the same.

Yes it's true, I didn't really read your conditions. :p

A.

I'd rather win one premiership over a 6 year period, than lose 3.

buuuutttt, if team B can get the worst pf the draft and be that successful over 6 years that's pretty good.

Success is primarily if not solely, based on premierships, hence A.

As Jules would say - Example, my sorry arse club - 1989 - 2nd, 90 - 10th, 91 - 3th, 92 - 2nd, 93 - 7th, 94 - 2nd, 95 - 2nd.

4 seconds and 1 third in 7 years and by no means successful, infact downright heartbreaking!

Roundhouse said:
This isn't a troll and it isn't about any particular club, or clubs. It is a just a hypothetical question I want to pose to all footy supporters.

Question Which club in these two scenarios (over a six year period), would you say has been more successful. Why?

Club A
Position: ? 9th 10th 1st 10th 9th 10th ?

Club B
Position : ? 2nd 3rd 2nd 3rd 2nd 3rd ?

Some points to clarify.
  • The position indicated is the position after the finals, not the regular season.
  • It is in the distant future, so we don't know whether the clubs have had recent premiership success or not.
  • The club's position at either end of the five year period is unknown. It could be first, or last, or anywhere in between. It is about judging this six year period, not about what happened before or what could happen after.
  • It is concerned with a random six year period in the future because this is not about your club's list at the moment. It is about defining success, and how you measure it.
  • All current AFL rules regarding drafts and trading apply.
  • I realize that there are heaps of unknowns, and that this is reason enough to reserve your opinion. Fair enough. If you think this is stupid, don't post.
  • It is clear that neither scenario is ideal.
  • It is clear that neither scenario is likely to happen.
  • Am interested to read what all posters have to say.
  • Most importantly! Please state why when giving your choice.
Cheers!
RH
looks like richmond v collingwood...

so richmond is still another 40years off a premiership? damn...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Change Team A's 1st to another 9th and you'd still just about pick them as the team you'd rather have - imagine losing 3 grand finals and 3 preliminary finals in six years! You'd be slitting your wrists and would rather you had never made the finals at all!

Remove this Banner Ad

Strange Hypothetical

Remove this Banner Ad

Back