Discussion Strange or Interesting AFL Photos

Remove this Banner Ad

A mates Grandad has this and doesn't know what exactly it is or where it came from.

Attachments

• IMG-20211216-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20211216-WA0001.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG-20211216-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20211216-WA0000.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 187
I remember those I had a Geelong one, came out in 1996 and was from a Rebel Sports or something.
They had those and I am also sure they had duffle coat style with the same logos and badge, and maybe even singlets or tees as well.

My neighbour had a Saints one, if he still has it Ill try and get a photo.

I remember those I had a Geelong one, came out in 1996 and was from a Rebel Sports or something.
They had those and I am also sure they had duffle coat style with the same logos and badge, and maybe even singlets or tees as well.

My neighbour had a Saints one, if he still has it Ill try and get a photo.

My late uncle bought me this as a birthday gift in the late 90's. About 3 months later I stupidly left it at footy function one night at a country pub. I called the next day, no worries they had it and asked if I wanted it sent back to my footy club via courier - nah, I'll drive down next weekend I said - problem was, two nights later the pub was totally gutted by fire..!

Hawks jacket.jpg

Hawks jacket back.jpg

Last edited:

Actually I was sure I had something in my collection of random footy stuff that had an ad for Vivid gear, and I found it! 1996 Select sticker album. Ad on the back page and competition on the inside to win stuff. According to the competition terms, those “Letterman style” jackets were $400. That was a fortune in 1996!

3670CDBF-03DF-4D65-B7D6-255D22A058F4.jpeg 068EA32E-A895-468A-AB8F-05A7CE2316C4.jpeg

Those bomber jackets were worn exclusively by older gentlemen with white moustaches when I was a kid first going to the footy, around the turn of the century.

You'd always see a couple at the ground. Haven't seen one in years now though.

Actually I was sure I had something in my collection of random footy stuff that had an ad for Vivid gear, and I found it! 1996 Select sticker album. Ad on the back page and competition on the inside to win stuff. According to the competition terms, those “Letterman style” jackets were $400. That was a fortune in 1996!

View attachment 1299185View attachment 1299186
You are a legend!

I had the Geelong version of that singlet, had no idea it was all the same company.

Vivid used to advertise with the slogan, "It's not black and white. It's Vivid."

I was a fresh teen when those jackets were released. I never wanted one, because I looked at the price and thought, 'yeah, right!'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Factory error Cats guernsey (no cuffs). Josh Walker, round 21 2013 v West Coast.
299419.jpg

299398.jpg

In 1894 a banked cycling track around the SCG was commissioned but due contractual disputes the surface remained base concrete up to 1896, so the SCG then organised motorcycle races. There were regular events undertaken and even some during half-time at football games. Due to waning popularity and other venues being built, the track was removed in 1920.

1909 SCG bike track.jpg

In 1894 a banked cycling track around the SCG was commissioned but due contractual disputes the surface remained base concrete up to 1896, so the SCG then organised motorcycle races. There were regular events undertaken and even some during half-time at football games. Due to waning popularity and other venues being built, the track was removed in 1920.

View attachment 1331865
Think a lot of those moved to the old Showground next door - definitely remember they had a dirt track in older photos

D388ED29-2C27-4422-85BF-593A2AF1B86C.jpeg
Awkward photo post draft for Josh Battle who was flown up to Sydney as a first round draft prospect and then unceremoniously slid to pick 39 on the second night of drafting. Good chance there were no saints jumpers on hand given they didn’t have any draft picks in the first round.
Interesting also that this was in that brief window during late 2016 where St. Kilda were with BLK before they folded and were replaced by Xblades for the season proper.

View attachment 1299185View attachment 1299186
What was the difference between the Letterman-style wool jacket and Wave jacket?

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion Strange or Interesting AFL Photos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back