Striving for the Premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

richie_cole#13

Senior List
Oct 8, 2003
Melbourne
Other Teams
Collingwood
I was bored the other day and jotted down our potential best team for 2008 and liked what I saw!!! But the concern was the ageing of Rocca, Wakelin and Presti etc... I looked over to the list of players not in the best 22 of 2008 and noticed a distinct lack of young midfield prospects. The problem was they are all already playing. I think we have a lack of younger depth midfielders coming through for the future years. It might seem obsurd to consider given the brilliance of Pendlebury, Thomas, Clarke etc but if you have a proper look we may struggle in future years. Therefore our draftees this year are likely to be midfielders I think.

(Our young big man stocks are skyrocketing!!!)

I was bored the other day and jotted down our potential best team for 2008 and liked what I saw!!! But the concern was the ageing of Rocca, Wakelin and Presti etc... I looked over to the list of players not in the best 22 of 2008 and noticed a distinct lack of young midfield prospects. The problem was they are all already playing. I think we have a lack of younger depth midfielders coming through for the future years. It might seem obsurd to consider given the brilliance of Pendlebury, Thomas, Clarke etc but if you have a proper look we may struggle in future years. Therefore our draftees this year are likely to be midfielders I think.

(Our young big man stocks are skyrocketing!!!)

We have the already mentioned Thomas,Pendles,Clarke. Swan is only 24 as is Didak who rotates through the middle. Iles,Stanley and Cook all youner then 21. Barham and Dyas already added over this off season. We are probably short another young inside mid but it's not exactly an alarming drought of midfield talent.

We will address our needs in the draft but we have young players such as Cook, Stanley, Wellingham, Iles, Dick and even Egan who are all young midfield options, yet unproven but have shown ability. Didak and Heath Shaw will become midfield options too in 2008 and Goldy will eventually make the move up the ground. Add Pendles, Thomas, Clarke and the experienced crew and we are doing very well.

More midfield options will be addressed as i said in the upcoming draft.

Wellingham may come in to the seniors too.

I would think though that apart from a ruckman, we would look to try and draft an inside mid in the mould of the classic rover. Hopefully this can be done with pick 31 and a ruckman with 47.

We don't have anyone that looks as promising as Thomas or Pendles coming through right now but those kids are only 20.

We have the already mentioned Thomas,Pendles,Clarke. Swan is only 24 as is Didak who rotates through the middle. Iles,Stanley and Cook all youner then 21. Barham and Dyas already added over this off season. We are probably short another young inside mid but it's not exactly an alarming drought of midfield talent.
It will be Wellingham, surprisingly good inside for a speedster

Hey guys i wish you guys would do you research better Swan is only 23 at the moment everyone seems to think he is older Didak is 24 the two are born in the same month February both one year apart. Maxwell is older than him. Just because his been at the club a lot longer people think he is older he was drafted at 17 not the usual 18 and buy the way not a bad pick for number 58 in the JUDD, Hodge and ablett draft i think if that draft was redone it would be different now. Don't add a year when it is warranted on to his age. If you look at age and games played i think that is more important not one without the other - look at how many games JUDD, Hodge, ablett has played compare that to others of the same age some have not caught up to them yet due to depth at club etc. Brent Reilly eg. At Adelaide getting better this year always in Riccuitto shadow now he may develop further.

Remove this Banner Ad

Striving for the Premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

Back