Stuff the Irish!

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't recall any of the Irish posters using any excuse for the loss, let alone the amateur status excuse. Universally, they acknowledged that the better team won. The complaints were about the roughhouse tactics applied by the AFL players, not their skill or fitness.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - lol :rolleyes:

All it had was the irish and their persecution complex after they kneed a bloke in the back, kicked Brown in the ribs so hard he couldn't rununtil after Xmas, and headbutted a player, but it was the Australians that were rough.:rolleyes:

No, no excuses from the gutless cowardly Irish. They started the fight. lost it and the game and then whinged and whined and pointed fingers, and complained and bitched and moaned.

P!ss the pathetic game off with the pathetic excuse of a country full or persecution complex whinging shiela's.

...We'd be better off playing an AFL hybrid of gridiron with USA or something for a spectacle. Or a hybrid of rugby against the NRL.
It's OK to go out and bash up weekend amateurs. There's no way the clubs would permit their players to come up against bigger, stronger, professionally trained bodies, particularly American footballers who all weigh a ton and can break evens.

You really are a dolt.

Must hurt when a bunch of amatuers beat these wonderful proffesionals.

Last time i checked an Irishman had won your sports highest individual accolade. :rolleyes:

So it can't be that hard. ;)

Yeah funny that when the Australians get serious the Irish fold. Furthermore, the poor performances in the earlier games by the Australians can be directly linked to team selection.

Once Sheedy took over and selected players suited the 'hybrid' game, in the main, the Australians have easily accounted for the Irish.

As I have said, give away the tackling and use an AFL ball. If this were the case, the gap between Australia and Ireland would be larger. Imagine the speed of transference of the ball from defence to account if an AFL ball was used and the Australians had no tackling pressure to contend with - it would be a massacre.

Personally I hope they get rid of the game - win or lose, I am happy if any Hawthorn players selected are not injured during the game.

Ah the Irish, go back to making water proof tea bags, becuase they can't handle the heat.

It's OK to go out and bash up weekend amateurs. There's no way the clubs would permit their players to come up against bigger, stronger, professionally trained bodies, particularly American footballers who all weigh a ton and can break evens.

Ah D Mitchell is back. Problem was the Irish tried to bash us and couldn't succeed.

I remember rolling around with laughter seeing ireland's tough man Geraghty (I think that's the spelling). The guy resembled an draftee in terms of size.

I wonder what will happen when Australia players Ireland in the super eight game on April 13. No doubt the Irish manager will be furious at the on-field sledging and threaten to take his players from the field.

All it had was the irish and their persecution complex after they kneed a bloke in the back, kicked Brown in the ribs so hard he couldn't rununtil after Xmas, and headbutted a player, but it was the Australians that were rough.:rolleyes:

No, no excuses from the gutless cowardly Irish. They started the fight. lost it and the game and then whinged and whined and pointed fingers, and complained and bitched and moaned.

P!ss the pathetic game off with the pathetic excuse of a country full or persecution complex whinging shiela's.

I have to agree that the Irish male appears to have a 'persecution complex' as you term it. Sounds like the women are stronger mentally and physically than the men.:D ;) :p

I don't think the IR series should even be contemplated unless:

a) they conduct a proper tribunal hearing to identify who really was responsible for the 'thuggery' in the last series

b) Sean Boylan is punished appropriately for bringing the game into disrepute, which should include being stood down as coach (manager).

You really are a dolt.

Must hurt when a bunch of amatuers beat these wonderful proffesionals.

It may or may not hurt. Be when it happens the whole nation of Australia doesn't go into a whinge for a week, the AFL doesn't cry non-stop about "Irish thuggery", and we don't say the rules should be changed to be even more in our favour everytime we lose a game. See the difference? Ireland = worst losers in the world.

Yes Ireland killed the series. I couldn't stand it if the AFL go ahead with changes. It sort of sucked enough as it was without pussifying it even further.

If Demetriou is paid financial incentives based on AFL earning growth, as was suggested on another thread, no wonder he is so keen. Another $300,000 into AFL coffers when the series is played in Aust. Even though it only breaks even in on the Ireland leg, it still means he gets to go on an AFL funded jaunt every second year as well. For him, its all upside. I mean, he's already sold our great game out in so many ways, so why not bend over for the Irish and sell out once more.

All it had was the irish and their persecution complex after they kneed a bloke in the back, kicked Brown in the ribs so hard he couldn't rununtil after Xmas, and headbutted a player, but it ....
Another even handed, reasoned, thoughtful contribution from the resident Gaelophobe.

i luv the IR!!! its way good. especially seeing as both teams hate each other and aus usually snap those btches. it provides an incentive and reward for our players. if it is abolished, they aren't able to represent their country. i know nowadays its not hte best players in the comp who are chosen, but more the ones who are suited to the game best, but i think it helps in the development of some young blokes. eg i think kade simpson from carlton benefited from it. there are plenty of rewards for hte players, crowd numbers are always high, if some of hte problems are sorted n the irish stop their btching, i think there's definately a place for IR

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You gotta be irish ..you whinge and whine too well not to be
Where's the "whinge" or "whine" there ? That's reality. The clubs won't let their players risk unneccessary injury, it's in their contracts. There's very little risk of an AFL player getting seriously injured in International Rules. It would be different story entirely putting them up against professional rugby players or gridiron players. Somehow I suspect that "toughies" like O'Keefe, Davey, Lovett, Gilbee etc mightn't be so forthcoming.

Where's the "whinge" or "whine" there ? That's reality. The clubs won't let their players risk unneccessary injury, it's in their contracts. There's very little risk of an AFL player getting seriously injured in International Rules.

What we need is a representative format that offers some real incentive, be it large sums of cash or major recognition.

With Rugby League SOO, it is a step on the path to playing for your country in your chosen sport. These non-club matches are where you can really make your name. Aussie Rules just can't match such a concept.

We need a format that steps it up a notch and recognises the best in our code, and if that format is never graced by certain players, then they should always have question marks over how they would have matched up against the best. Barrie Robran is a recognised legend, but by only playing SANFL, never regularly matched it against the best*, so doesn't get mentioned in the same breath as a Matthews, Barassi or Whitten.

I know he played SOO, and that's the main reason he gets respect in Victorian circles. Imagine if he never had such a concept to showcase his talents.

Well I see all you kids (most of you have to be under 15 surely) are all still on your angry tablets. Or is it angry powder now? No wonder some AFL players are such model citizens when they are worshipped by the likes of ye. Don't think many of your players would be let back into Ireland at this stage anyway so whats the point? We're fine for criminals and junkies thanks.:rolleyes:

Well I see all you kids (most of you have to be under 15 surely) are all still on your angry tablets. Or is it angry powder now? No wonder some AFL players are such model citizens when they are worshipped by the likes of ye. Don't think many of your players would be let back into Ireland at this stage anyway so whats the point? We're fine for criminals and junkies thanks.:rolleyes:

Mate, I'm not angry. I've got nothing against the Irish either. So there is no need to lower it down to insulting our country, but while we're at it:

You could always go and get pissed and neck yourself, Ireland having the highest alcoholic and suicide rate in world and all that. Must be a great place to live. :thumbsu:

So apart from the fact international rules resembles your pussy Gaelic football more than our own code (and you still can't win) and whinge at every moment about the rules, I can't see why we'd want to return anyway.

PS I'm only having a stir :D

I realise that suicide is a serious issue for all societies, as are drugs. Just wanted to make the point insulting others is the easy and mindless way to deal with issues.

Still, IR should be allowed to die a peaceful death.

Where did Horsebox insult Australia ?

I suppose we read it differently, although I admit perhaps I was being a little too sensitive.

I took his term 'by the likes of ye' to indicate a broader reflection of Australian society and then using that inference to suggest the result of such peoples support is having sportsmen who are junkies and criminals.

I suppose we read it differently, although I admit perhaps I was being a little too sensitive.

I took his term 'by the likes of ye' to indicate a broader reflection of Australian society and then using that inference to suggest the result of such peoples support is having sportsmen who are junkies and criminals.
"the likes of ye" clearly refers to "all you kids (most of you have to be under 15 surely)" i.e. posters on bigfooty. Anybody who reads the WCE-Cousins threads knows who and what he means by "criminals and junkies". His post is a light hearted dig at big footy posters.

When it comes to handing out insults, bigfooty posters are right up there. Take a look at the adjectives used to describe the GAA players, officials and populace itself in this thread.

"the likes of ye" clearly refers to "all you kids (most of you have to be under 15 surely)" i.e. posters on bigfooty. Anybody who reads the WCE-Cousins threads knows who and what he means by "criminals and junkies". His post is a light hearted dig at big footy posters.

It can be read that way, no argument, but I don't see it as clearly as you. As I stated, I took 'worshipped by the likes of ye' to be an inference to BF posters being representative of the broader community of football supporters, and with this being the case it is no wonder our football players are junkies and criminals.

It extends beyond the borders of these forums, and as such, I deemed it an insult the population in general. Yes, I know there are many similar such comments in this thread relating to the Irish, but I haven't made any derogatory remarks that relate to followers of the Irish game.

Anyway, as I also wrote, I was just having a stir. It may have seemed a bit harsh, but it was just a bit of friendly banter. Hence the :D

Mate, I'm not angry. I've got nothing against the Irish either. So there is no need to lower it down to insulting our country, but while we're at it:

You could always go and get pissed and neck yourself, Ireland having the highest alcoholic and suicide rate in world and all that. Must be a great place to live. :thumbsu:

So apart from the fact international rules resembles your pussy Gaelic football more than our own code (and you still can't win) and whinge at every moment about the rules, I can't see why we'd want to return anyway.

I didn't insult your country. I made a tongue in cheek remark about the current West Coast situation and I referred to "the likes of ye", ye being bigfooty posters that are obviously kids, and pretty angry kids at that. In response you said Ireland has the highest rate of alcoholism and suicide in the world. Neither of which is true by the way. Regardless of the statements accuracy, it was a pretty low thing to say, and was obviously said in the heat of the moment, going by your subsequent "only having a stir" post. The fact that such a comment passes for having a stir on bigfooty says a lot. The petulance of it would lead me to believe that you are pretty young. I hope to god for your sake that's true, because if you're a grown man it is quite disturbing that you would say "You could always go and get pissed and neck yourself" and consider it friendly banter. We can't all live in a utopian paradise like Australia where alcoholism and suicide are obviously non-existent. Bear that in mind in future.

Horsebox I come from an Irish background and would never allow thegreatest little nation on earth be insulted but the reaction in Ireland to what was admittedly a bit over the top physicality was way too pussyish. Unfortunately the Irish overreacted to what was the natural consequence when professionals up the physical ante against amateurs. if your players were pros and ours amateurs the same would happen as well.

The series is over because unfortunately 2 of the great sporting nations - Ireland punches hugely aboove its weight - couldn't get it together to make it work and instead of friendship we were fostering enmity as this thread shows.

PS Good luck against the Poms in the cricket on Friday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Stuff the Irish!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back