Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
Official Ashes 09 thread

As the Ashes start next week i thought it was time to talk cricket.
I will start by saying that Brett Lee is finished and Pontings loyalty to some players could affect our chances.
My team for Cardiff ( what a shocking place to start the series)
1 Hughes
2 Katich
3 Ponting
4 Hussey
5 Clarke
6 North
7 Haddin
8 Johnson
9 Macdonald
10Siddle
11 Clark

Hauritz is a spud and couldn't even get CAS or Bonza out, Lee is finished and Watson should look after his looks because he can attract the hotties (thats in roomies terms)

Re: Official Ashes 09 thread

I will start by saying that Brett Lee is finished and Pontings loyalty to some players could affect our chances.
1 Hughes
2 Katich
3 Ponting
4 Hussey
5 Clarke
6 North
7 Haddin
8 Johnson
9 Macdonald
10Siddle
11 Clark

Hauritz is a spud and couldn't even get CAS or Bonza out, Lee is finished and Watson should look after his looks because he can attract the hotties (thats in roomies terms)

Im worried about McDonald's length in England. Looks like a Vic bias in selection to me bedford.

You know you guys are only just giving K another reason not to study... :p

But it was in his last test innings against a better attack than the pommy pie throwers Cas and i hope you are smart enough to know that.

Which has what to with deciding to select him?.

You didnt rate him as a top seven batsman and with Johnson, Clark, Siddle and Lee I dont think he play the first test

haha yeh Roy would make all the difference...

Hauritz is such a nuffie of a bowler but i'm worried about going in with no spinners, how can Haruo really be the best spinner in Australia?

anyway i'd go with:

1. Hughes
2. Katich
3. Ponting
4. Hussey
5. Clarke
6. North
7. Haddin
8. Johnson
9. Hauritz
10. Clark
11. Siddle

I'd start the series with Hauritz and see how he goes, but if and when he loses it, i'd be bringing Hilfy in to see how much swing he can manufacture and using Pup, Katich, North as spinning options.

HOW CAN HAURITZ BE THE BEST SPINNER IN AUSTRALIA?!?!?!

1 Hughes
2 Katich
3 Ponting
4 Hussey
5 Clarke
6 North
7 Haddin
8 Johnson
9 Macdonald
10Siddle
11 Clark

He probably could Bedford :p (I was hopeless at cricket)

Seriously I doubt Clark will be in the team... I want him to be but the selectors seem to always favour Lee....

And Hauritz will probably be named.... He can bat a little as well... And we may not use him as an attacking bowler but someone who can tie up an end... He can bowl a bit... But it is really unfortunate that no one like Casson has taken the next step up... You have to play a spinner in England unfortunetley..

1 Hughes
2 Katich
3 Ponting
4 Hussey
5 Clarke
6 North
7 Haddin
8 Johnson
9 Hauritz
10 Siddle
11 Lee

If we do give Hauritz the flick and play Macdonald or Clark instead... I am actually quite confident in North, M Clark and Katich providing supprt witht here part time spin...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cmon malfan, Liverpool taking a break from their premier league duties, surly you can follow the cricket as a gap before our teams do battle in the premier .... oh Wait :(... FA cup :eek:

I probably should. Unfortunately I just haven't had any time to follow the cricket closely over the past couple of years. I look at the names you're talking about and just think wtf? Who are these people? I'll admit the departure of Gilly, McGrath and Warne caused me to lose more than a little interest in the game. Not to mention the fact we're captained by a puncy little Roos supporting w***er.:thumbsdown:

Errr... c'mon aussie c'mon... better?

Hughes and Ponting were soft dismisals against the English Lions, for those that have Foxtel it is on Fox sports 1

The English bowlers will give Hughes a serious workout. Harmison made him look ordinary.

Don't be surprised if he's out of the team by the Third Test, and that might prove an indication of how well the team's going by that stage.

The English bowlers will give Hughes a serious workout. Harmison made him look ordinary.

Don't be surprised if he's out of the team by the Third Test, and that might prove an indication of how well the team's going by that stage.
Right, and who's going to open instead of Hughes? Get real.

Right, and who's going to open instead of Hughes? Get real.

Who knows, and I don't much care. Haddin. Clarke.

You're avoding the issue, anyway.
They can keep going with a bloke who might be struggling to get past single figures. I'm just making an observation.

He has a very questionable technique from a traditional Test opening bat's position, surely you can't argue that.

If he fails early, the selectors are going to have to do some quick thinking.

An observation based on what in particular? One admittedly poor innings against Steve Harmison? How about taking your observations from:
- a first class average of 69.
- a great English domestic stint.
- a amazing bounceback after that horrendous first Test innings duck.

An observation based on what in particular? One admittedly poor innings against Steve Harmison? How about taking your observations from:
- a first class average of 69.
- a great English domestic stint.
- a amazing bounceback after that horrendous first Test innings duck.

An observation based on almost four decades of watching Ashes cricket.

The kid's a fighter, and he's from NSW, I'm an expat, so I'm on his side, but he got lucky in South Africa because they were dumb. Thought they could just bounce and bully him, and he thrived.

The English will have learned just as much from his time in England as he would've learned, but you don't think they might have held a fair bit back?

Harmison is not even in the Test side and he made him look pretty bad, and that will be the first blueprint. England's bowlers are smart, canny and experienced on their turf.

Look, Grim, we don't need to blue about this, I really hope he makes a fool of me (MORE of a fool of me).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back