Sunday 7th September 1997

Remove this Banner Ad

For all of you too young or too stupid to remember, this is the date of the first ever Brisbane Lion's finals apperance.

More importantly the very same core of players that are now touted as the best ever.

Needless to say they got their arses kicked as we did tonight. They even went on to "win" the spoon in '98. Five years later they are considered the best ever. Pffft, get some bloody perspective! :rolleyes:

Everyone other than diehard Saints did not expect us to get within 10 goals of the Lions tonight and we didn't. If you were all so bloody confident we'd lose then you should have cleaned up at the TAB.

So enjoy it while you can. Especially you Hawk, Collingwood and Carlton supporters. Don't expect we'll be meeting any of you soon in September. :rolleyes:

JeffDunne said:
For all of you too young or too stupid to remember, this is the date of the first ever Brisbane Lion's finals apperance.

More importantly the very same core of players that are now touted as the best ever.

Needless to say they got their arses kicked as we did tonight. They even went on to "win" the spoon in '98. Five years later they are considered the best ever. Pffft, get some bloody perspective! :rolleyes:

Everyone other than diehard Saints did not expect us to get within 10 goals of the Lions tonight and we didn't. If you were all so bloody confident we'd lose then you should have cleaned up at the TAB.

So enjoy it while you can. Especially you Hawk, Collingwood and Carlton supporters. Don't expect we'll be meeting any of you soon in September. :rolleyes:

excuse me, but you have no right to compare stkilda to brisbane of 97.

they had talent, your core is finished, ie harvey, gehrig, hayes, hamill, hudghton, etc, they wont be there in 3 years.

karnaby said:
WOOHOO....more draft picks :rolleyes:

not bloddy likely thank you very much.

Woohoo - try keeping the ones you have racked up over the last 5yrs under the salary cap. Hamil, Reiwoldt, Ball, Goddard, Del Santo, Gehrig, Maguire, Clarke, etc... Looks like a great list, but, from experience, you aint going to be able to keep them within the next two years. Saying that, youre going to hope your side bounces up from tonight's mauling pretty bloody quickly cause there is no way in hell you will win a flag playing like that.

I doubt the Aints will play for a team performance like the Lions do. So many under their normal asking price at Brissie. With Hamill on a multi million dollar deal (assumed), Reiwoldt may be making the 1700km trek up the coast before you know it!

MOJOE said:
I doubt the Aints will play for a team performance like the Lions do. So many under their normal asking price at Brissie. With Hamill on a multi million dollar deal (assumed), Reiwoldt may be making the 1700km trek up the coast before you know it!
So what do they spend the TPP on? Steroids?

latrell said:
excuse me, but you have no right to compare stkilda to brisbane of 97.

they had talent, your core is finished, ie harvey, gehrig, hayes, hamill, hudghton, etc, they wont be there in 3 years.
Serious question, were you beaten as a kid? Picked on?

JeffDunne said:
So what do they spend the TPP on? Steroids?

That sounds like a bitter supporter...

I dont know? I dont support them. What I do know is that their team is awesome and ripped the saints a new hole tonight.

MOJOE said:
...there is no way in hell you will win a flag playing like that.
Oh really?

As for list management, I think we might be able to take some lessons from other sides :rolleyes: who've trodden this path before us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

karnaby said:
Oh really?

As for list management, I think we might be able to take some lessons from other sides :rolleyes: who've trodden this path before us.

If you think that you can win a flag by playing the same way you did tonight, you have got to question whether you should be an AFL fan.

Yes, Essendon had some probs managing our 2000 squad - and I made sure I mentioned that in my above post. The Saints, whilst assembling a great list of young talent, will also have that same problem - barring a miracle from Vladamir. They either win one soon - or it will be a wasted 'process'.

latrell said:
why do you ask?

is that a fetish of yours mungrel?

if it is then this is not the forum
Absolutely not. I ask because you have a problem. Maybe something happened to you in childhood. I seriously don't know whether to bag the crap out of you, or feel sorry for you.

The Phat Side said:
haha rationalising already

Youre only fooling yourself.
C'mon, fess up Phatty, you'll be cheering the cats this week.

I know it's a little embarrising following the cats, but they're back in the eight now. You can own up.

MOJOE said:
If you think that you can win a flag by playing the same way you did tonight, you have got to question whether you should be an AFL fan.
Your first comment was a statement of the bleeding obvious. Just so you can understand - if we play like we did tonight I don't expect to win any game, let alone a final.

JeffDunne said:

Okay.. now why are you telling us this?

Oh right.. gee yea. you're right so far, they are being touted as exactly that.

Still don't know why you're telling us this though.

Your saying then.. that you play your first finals series.. lose badly..drop back down to the bottom the following season and then five years on your going to be called the 'best ever'??

Sorry.. but where is the perspective in that. That's speculation and musing.. highly amusing actually.

Why didn't you expect to get within ten goals? Not like you were coming up against the .. I don't know lets call it.. the 'best ever'? Not if you have a bit of perspective about it.. well not that way according to some anyways...

What's to enjoy? My sides lousy, will be for awhile, your side's raw and learning (big lesson tonight). No.. no enjoyment there for this lil Hawk. As for meeting in Sept.. well.. we did that once before so I'll just live with that for now.

What happens for the future?.. Time will tell (as it always does).

JeffDunne said:

No - i suspect you won't meet us in September but let me remind you (from experience) if your team doesn't redeem some dignity next week your off-season will be more dismal and painful than anyone's - despite your round 22 ladder position.

And bte - i gained no enjoyment from last night's debacle - i literally fell asleep during one of the worst finals performances in recent history. I know all about our "shocker" in the GF but we have at least had the chance to see our team put up some sort of fight in finals matches in the past 2 years including some brave wins. I genuinely hope you get the same chance next week because the implications of a straight sets exit are grim.
Enjoy the wait!

JeffDunne said:

???

I thought St Kilda would've got to at least 2 goals due to 2 good players out, but DANG! that was road kill!

Remove this Banner Ad

Sunday 7th September 1997

Remove this Banner Ad

Back