Sunday night footy

Remove this Banner Ad

I work on weekends so Sunday nights and Mondays are great for me. Although the same can be said for Thursdays and Fridays.

For the convenience of players getting a full weeks worth of rest we might be better avoiding Mondays for now.

I would ditch Thursday night football for Monday night in an instant. Friday to Monday football.
2 matches Friday night in different states,
2 matches Saturday night,
1 match late Saturday afternoon,
3 matches Sunday early afternoon, late afternoon and early evening.
1 match Monday night.

Keeping the Saturday lunchtime and early afternoon free means people can head to local sports and help support them after years of being ravaged by covid.

Australian eastern time, how does it fit SA &/or WA time?

Ok. Is this because you see every single game (home and away) live or you have stuff to do on Mondays?
Interested in the answer.

I go to every Geelong game in Victoria. I work FT and have to get up early on Tuesday. Going to a game on a Monday night, and getting home at 11.30pm or later, would make me sluggish for a couple of days. Not to mention having to go to the game straight from work, having to finish work early if I’m travelling from Melb to Geelong etc. Bit of a logistical nightmare really.

Could handle us playing interstate on a Monday night once in a while, but that’s about it.

Last edited:
The more prime time spots you create the more crappy teams get promoted in to them, the more people complain about the game being broken/boring etc.

For that reason alone we should be careful to not create too many tv windows. I know people get annoyed when games overlap but it's actually a pretty good way to make sure people watch the good games and not the rubbish ones.

And then there's the more important reason that our game revolves around crowds and families. That's how you generate life long fans, who are members, who stick by clubs through thick and thin.

Sell out for TV dollars and you erode that connection between supporters and clubs. Erode it too much and people lose interest. Short term cash costs you long term.

Also the time difference allows for WA to host a number of games that are Sunday twilight/Sunday night on the East Coast whilst staying as afternoon fixtures for the local teams.

So aside from public holidays there's no need for standalone Sunday night footy.

Thursdays should also be restricted to a minority of rounds. When there's Thurs/Fri/Saturday night footy you can guarantee at least 1 and up to 3 howlers of games in those slots. Especially when you're mixing in short breaks.

No Sun evening games unless Mon is a public holiday, wont someone think of the kids?

No to Mon, Tues & Wed night games, Thurs night games are bad enough

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok. Is this because you see every single game (home and away) live or you have stuff to do on Mondays?
Interested in the answer.

As a Sydney fan surely you'd know how bad Mondays would be! We work all around the city you try getting to the SCG from out west after work, lets not mention it finishing 11pm which means you aren't home till 1:30

If you want to watch every game live :
7.30pm Thursday
7.30pm Friday
1.30pm Saturday
4.30pm Saturday
7.30pm Saturday
1.30pm Sunday
4.30pm Sunday
7.30pm Sunday
7.30pm Monday
Would last 6 weeks before the AFL realises no one will turn up to the Sunday and Monday 7.30 games

They tried Sunday night games in 2014 and Collingwood Carlton only got 40k

Monday 2nd May is a qld public holiday. Sunday night there should be a game in qld either gabba or metricon.

Monday 6th june is a wa public holiday. Should be a sunday night game the night before at optus.

Monday 13th june is a public holiday in all but wa and qld. Should be a sunday night game somewhere.

And i think monday 1st august is a nsw public holiday so sunday night again should be a night game on at scg or showgrounds.

Its not hard but afl never look at this non vic stuff. They’ll put a queens birthday monday game on when wa and qld are working ffs.
These could be awesome...have a big, high profile Victorian club play against the locals and broadcast it on FTA into Melbourne. Brisbane V Richmond on the Sunday night will draw huge numbers for example. You could have the Eagles and Collingwood on the June one and then give two high performing but not necessarily one of the Big 4 teams (the home team from Melbourne) on the 13th of June eve

These could be awesome...have a big, high profile Victorian club play against the locals and broadcast it on FTA into Melbourne. Brisbane V Richmond on the Sunday night will draw huge numbers for example. You could have the Eagles and Collingwood on the June one and then give two high performing but not necessarily one of the Big 4 teams (the home team from Melbourne) on the 13th of June eve
Its such a no brainer. But A(V)FL don’t think about it

Would last 6 weeks before the AFL realises no one will turn up to the Sunday and Monday 7.30 games

They tried Sunday night games in 2014 and Collingwood Carlton only got 40k

Would work in the states I mentioned earlier like SA, WA, maybe QLD and NSW. Just needs to be decent match ups and it'll draw.

Its such a no brainer. But A(V)FL don’t think about it
Just like how they keep playing one off state of origin games in Victoria and combine SA and WA. The contest is always more meaningful for the little brother in the relationship so they need to play it as SA or WA AT HOME to Victoria. It will sell out and draw a massive audience.

Monday 2nd May is a qld public holiday. Sunday night there should be a game in qld either gabba or metricon.

Monday 6th june is a wa public holiday. Should be a sunday night game the night before at optus.

Monday 13th june is a public holiday in all but wa and qld. Should be a sunday night game somewhere.

And i think monday 1st august is a nsw public holiday so sunday night again should be a night game on at scg or showgrounds.

Its not hard but afl never look at this non vic stuff. They’ll put a queens birthday monday game on when wa and qld are working ffs.
Sunday night is where 7 puts their most highest rating shows, so they're not really interested in playing a Brisbane/West coast/Sydney match on 7mate on a Sunday night.

Sunday night is where 7 puts their most highest rating shows, so they're not really interested in playing a Brisbane/West coast/Sydney match on 7mate on a Sunday night.
Brisbane v collingwood
Sydney v essendon
West coast v richmond
They would rate. On main channel

Bit backwards....Sunday night is historically the peak TV viewing time in Aus.

It makes sense, people winding down for the week and would settle in front of the TV.

With transition to streaming, LIVE sport is one of broadcaster big ticket items re content now.

The balance to get right is that it isnt a fan friendly spot from an attendance perspective.

The Monday pub holiday around the country idea to play a big vic team on a Sunday night is a no brainer!! But just keep it to the rare event, dont make it a regular fixture.

Also have different broadcast partners

C7 v Subscription

C7 has the Friday night "event", big public holiday games, Sunday 3pm to lead into news, and is now pushing hard for Thursday night. So a few public holiday events, put the big C7 game on at 7pm instead of the 3pm game.

Foxtel standalone games are normally the early Sat or Sunday games. Hardly prime slots from a neutral viewer perspective.

Perhaps Foxtel want to push for a different slot?? Go for a slightly later Sunday twilight slot circa 5:20EST? Or try the alternate Friday double....have C7 game be 7:10 EST, and then have a Foxtel game circa 8:20 EST.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sunday night footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back