AFLW SUNS AFLW Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Not much exciting to look at. No real flow in passages or clear movement. Very stoppage based. Relying on Rowbottom to win the ball and that’s about it.

Hawks a far superior team this season though.

6 games zero wins.
I’ll be there with my daughter on Sunday for more torture.

I probably should be reported to child services for putting her through it.
It’s not like you haven’t been tortured before for the men’s team… only seems fair you’d do it for the women too.

Best game from a very low bar. It’s not much of a wrap.
Was easily the best game for the year as a team. Hawthorn have been playing good football and easily beat St Kilda who smashed us in round 1, plus beat Geelong who also smashed us. Had Dupuy passed to Stanton in the last quarter, they would most likely have been in the lead early in the last quarter.

It was good to see some of the younger players getting some game time - Fullerton, Smith, Oliver etc. Might as well see if they can develop and play at the level.

Rowbotham and Darcy try their guts out, but their lack of efficiency hurts. Rowbotham at 43% and Darcy with 11 turnovers out of 23 possessions isn't going to win games. Need to find ways for them to be more efficient or get it into the hands of better users more often.

In all honesty the margin was a lot closer than I expected, and to keep Hawthorn under 60 points was a good effort. The only other team to do that has been Adelaide so far this year.

I would say it was probably our best game for the season. Speaking to Mark Evans post game, he agrees.

I don’t care what Mr Evans said. A loss is a loss and holding up the bottom of the ladder winless is ridiculous
The coach is out of his depth continually getting outcoached
The head of football is out of her depth continually making poor list decisions
Both must go

Was easily the best game for the year as a team. Hawthorn have been playing good football and easily beat St Kilda who smashed us in round 1, plus beat Geelong who also smashed us. Had Dupuy passed to Stanton in the last quarter, they would most likely have been in the lead early in the last quarter.

It was good to see some of the younger players getting some game time - Fullerton, Smith, Oliver etc. Might as well see if they can develop and play at the level.

Rowbotham and Darcy try their guts out, but their lack of efficiency hurts. Rowbotham at 43% and Darcy with 11 turnovers out of 23 possessions isn't going to win games. Need to find ways for them to be more efficient or get it into the hands of better users more often.

In all honesty the margin was a lot closer than I expected, and to keep Hawthorn under 60 points was a good effort. The only other team to do that has been Adelaide so far this year.

Hawthorn coach has coached 6 games and already out coaching Cameron Joyce.

Hawthorn coach has coached 6 games and already out coaching Cameron Joyce.
Webster is a very good coach. But I would argue that he has a list far more advanced than Joyce has access to.

That may well be due to recruiting but that can't be changed at the moment. Based on who was on the field yesterday, it was a better effort.

Credit to the girls for a very competitive 2nd half.
More pressure at the ball slowed their ball movement, which kept us in it.

But the AFLW has evolved. What was good 3 seasons ago is not good enough now. Feels like we are a team that would easily make finals in seasons gone by. Not now.

Now you need better runners, better and longer kickers, and skills. Move the ball with more speed. The young players coming into the comp in other teams seem to have a lot of that. Hope the academy starts throwing out some of those players, or we are toast.

Rowbottom and Daisy D'Arcy are 21. Have we got anyone younger than that who fits the bill of running, kicking, skills? Atm, no. Davies at 19 looks like she can play as a ruck/fwd. Gee and McMullen got ACLs so not sure. Pretty sure for every other team rising up the ladder the answer is yes.

A lot of the older players are what they have always been. A bit on the slow side, so don't get as much pill as the oppo. Bella disappointing as a ruck with not enough influence and who seems unable to take a mark.

To sum up: Toast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whitfort being out (for two games this week with concussion, due to the short turnaround ) did seem to hurt our stoppages. Just don’t quite have the speed in there.

Wasn’t a terrible game, besides that third quarter. But I’m not sure where the improvement comes from.

Just got home
Sack Joyce
Sack Sesseyaro
The forwards coach is a lady, make her the interim coach.

Highlights of the game were the kids bubbles section, kids face painting, kids prize wheel and the berry blast slurpees.

As for our women’s team, good grief.

Last edited:
Just got home
Sack Joyce
Sack Sesseyaro

Highlights of the game were the kids bubbles section, kids prize wheel and the berry blast slurpees.

27 to 36 is a decent quarter time score
Does anyone know the final score?

Sent from my SM-A546E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just got home
Sack Joyce
Sack Sesseyaro

Highlights of the game were the kids bubbles section, kids face painting, kids prize wheel and the berry blast slurpees.

Jessica Sedunary. We lose her end of the year as she has been announced as coach of Perth in the WAFLW

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW SUNS AFLW Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back