Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s going to be difficult to climb next year as a number of teams around us also expect to improve after having had productive trade / draft periods and getting players back from injury.
Yep, the competition is getting more and more even around the middle of the ladder. It actually looks very, very difficult to crack the 8. All teams will need a bit of luck with their own list and also probably rely on others dropping winnable games.

After their off-seasons, Brisbane and Geelong have to be the favourites.
Dees are still a big threat.

After that, Swans, Bulldogs, Collingwood, Fremantle, Richmond and Carlton are the bracket we want to compete with.

That’s 9 teams already who most would say are above us, so we have to be consistently better than two of those teams just to scrape in.

Essendon, Saints, GWS. These teams could be trash or solid. They can easily beat us (and have beaten us this year) on their day, or even have a miracle turn-around with new coaches and move a few rungs up.

West Coast, Adelaide and North would all be looking to improve their percentage with some new recruits or players back from injury.

Hawks look like the weakest list on paper.

So yeah, finals are no guarantee at all. I can definitely see why many ‘experts’ don’t have us making it.

We talk about our natural progression. But every team has natural progression, so we just have to hope ours is a faster and higher in quality.

Yep, the competition is getting more and more even around the middle of the ladder. It actually looks very, very difficult to crack the 8. All teams will need a bit of luck with their own list and also probably rely on others dropping winnable games.

After their off-seasons, Brisbane and Geelong have to be the favourites.
Dees are still a big threat.

After that, Swans, Bulldogs, Collingwood, Fremantle, Richmond and Carlton are the bracket we want to compete with. ALSO PORT

That’s 10 teams already who most would say are above us, so we have to be consistently better than two of those teams just to scrape in.

Essendon, Saints, GWS. These teams could be trash or solid. They can easily beat us (and have beaten us this year) on their day, or even have a miracle turn-around with new coaches and move a few rungs up.

West Coast, Adelaide and North would all be looking to improve their percentage with some new recruits or players back from injury.

Hawks look like the weakest list on paper.

So yeah, finals are no guarantee at all. I can definitely see why many ‘experts’ don’t have us making it.

We talk about our natural progression. But every team has natural progression, so we just have to hope ours is a faster and higher in quality.
You forgot port who should be right around the mark too

Rioli, JHF and an improving rozee gives them a decent boost.

They lost their first 5 games of the year and just missed finals in the end.

You forgot port who should be right around the mark too

Rioli, JHF and an improving rozee gives them a decent boost.

They lost their first 5 games of the year and just missed finals in the end.
True, I don’t know how I missed them. So yeah, lots of teams fighting for those precious spots. Should make for an entertaining (and hopefully not too disappointing) year all round.

As a competiton, we would prefer to have more teams vying for finals and compeitive. Makes the season a lot more enjoyable. But the more teams improve, the more even it becomed where some unlucky teams will miss out. Percentage could become important.

JON RALPH TIPS THE FIRST SIX ROUNDS​

Predicted winners in capitals

ROUND 1

Richmond v CARLTON, MCG

GEELONG v Collingwood, MCG

NORTH MELBOURNE v West Coast, Marvel Stadium

Port Adelaide v BRISBANE, Adelaide Oval

MELBOURNE v Western Bulldogs, MCG

GOLD COAST v Sydney, Metricon Stadium

GIANTS v Adelaide, Giants Stadium

HAWTHORN v Essendon, MCG

St Kilda v FREMANTLE, Marvel Stadium

ROUND 2

Carlton v GEELONG, MCG

BRISBANE v Melbourne, Gabba

COLLINGWOOD v Port Adelaide

Adelaide v RICHMOND, Adelaide Oval

WESTERN BULLDOGS v St Kilda, Marvel Stadium

FREMANTLE v North Melbourne, Optus Stadium

SYDNEY v Hawthorn, SCG

ESSENDON v Gold Coast

WEST COAST v Giants, Optus Stadium

ROUND 3

WESTERN BULLDOGS
v Brisbane, Marvel Stadium

Collingwood v RICHMOND, MCG,

HAWTHORN v North Melbourne, UTAS

Giants v CARLTON, Giants Stadium

ST KILDA v Essendon, MCG

PORT ADELAIDE v Adelaide, Adelaide Oval

Gold Coast v GEELONG, Metricon Stadium

MELBOURNE v Sydney, MCG

FREMANTLE v West Coast, Optus Stadium

ROUND 4

BRISBANE
v Collingwood, Gabba

North Melbourne v CARLTON, Marvel

ADELAIDE v Fremantle, Adelaide Oval

Richmond v WESTERN BULLDOGS, MCG

ST KILDA v Gold Coast, Marvel

SYDNEY v Port Adelaide, SCG

ESSENDON v Giants, Marvel

West Coast v MELBOURNE, Optus

GEELONG v Hawthorn, MCG

ROUND 5

Adelaide v CARLTON, Adelaide Oval

Fremantle v GOLD COAST, Norwood

Sydney v RICHMOND, Adelaide Oval

North Melbourne v BRISBANE, Adelaide Hills

Essendon v MELBOURNE, Adelaide Oval

PORT ADELAIDE v Western Bulldogs, Adelaide Oval

GEELONG v West Coast, Adelaide Oval

HAWTHORN v Giants, Norwood Oval

St Kilda v COLLINGWOOD, Adelaide Oval

ROUND 6

FREMANTLE
v Western Bulldogs, Optus Stadium

PORT ADELAIDE v West Coast, Adelaide Oval

GIANTS v Brisbane, Manuka

Geelong v SYDNEY, GMHBA Stadium

Hawthorn v ADELAIDE, UTAS

CARLTON v St Kilda, Marvel

GOLD COAST v North Melbourne, Metricon

MELBOURNE v Richmond, MCG

COLLINGWOOD v Essendon, MCG

HOW THE LADDER COULD LOOK AFTER ROUND 6​

1. Carlton 5-1
2. Melbourne 5-1
3. Geelong 5-1
4. Fremantle 4-2
5. Brisbane 4-2
6. Richmond 3-3
7. Collingwood 3-3
8. Sydney 3-3
----------------------
9. Western Bulldogs 3-3
10. Port Adelaide 3-3
11. Hawthorn 3-3
12. Gold Coast 3-3
13. GWS 2-4
14. St Kilda 2-4
15. Essendon 2-4
16. Adelaide 2-4
17. North Melbourne 1-5
18. West Coast 1-5

As a competiton, we would prefer to have more teams vying for finals and compeitive. Makes the season a lot more enjoyable. But the more teams improve, the more even it becomed where some unlucky teams will miss out. Percentage could become important.

Strange tipping from Jon Ralph...

ESSENDON v Gold Coast, Marvel Stadium
ST KILDA v Gold Coast, Marvel Stadium
Fremantle v GOLD COAST, Norwood Oval
GOLD COAST v North Melbourne, Metricon Stadium

I don't quite understand how he has us beating Sydney in round 1 and then losing to Essendon and St Kilda in rounds 2 & 4. I understand they are away games but Essendon and St Kilda aren't particularly great teams at the moment so I would have thought we'd at least win one of those games. I'm also not convinced we're going to beat Fremantle in round 5.

Oh well. Getting out of the first 6 rounds with 3 wins would be a decent effort from us but I'd be aiming a bit higher than that. 4-2 with a place inside the top 8 will do me just fine going into our round 7 clash against Richmond at Marvel.
Good get.
Seems like it when you consider the Swans only missed the finals 3 times during Berbakov's 15-year stint in Sydney.

Strange tipping from Jon Ralph...

ESSENDON v Gold Coast, Marvel Stadium
ST KILDA v Gold Coast, Marvel Stadium
Fremantle v GOLD COAST, Norwood Oval
GOLD COAST v North Melbourne, Metricon Stadium

I don't quite understand how he has us beating Sydney in round 1 and then losing to Essendon and St Kilda in rounds 2 & 4. I understand they are away games but Essendon and St Kilda aren't particularly great teams at the moment so I would have thought we'd at least win one of those games. I'm also not convinced we're going to beat Fremantle in round 5.

Oh well. Getting out of the first 6 rounds with 3 wins would be a decent effort from us but I'd be aiming a bit higher than that. 4-2 with a place inside the top 8 will do me just fine going into our round 7 clash against Richmond at Marvel.

Seems like it when you consider the Swans only missed the finals 3 times during Berbakov's 15-year stint in Sydney.
I suppose he counters in the interstate games are harder to win?

Besides maybe the Freo game, my predictions are similar.

We were utter cheeks at Marvel this year and the way we play makes it easy for other teams to cut us up on the rebound with quick ball movement in perfect conditions. Until we’ve proven otherwise, I don’t trust us to beat anyone under the roof.

I suppose he counters in the interstate games are harder to win?
In the Sydney game, yes, but he also knows we've got Sydney's number so for us it's not the top 4 opponent it would seem on paper.

We were utter cheeks at Marvel this year and the way we play makes it easy for other teams to cut us up on the rebound with quick ball movement in perfect conditions. Until we’ve proven otherwise, I don’t trust us to beat anyone under the roof.
I see what you're saying but those are the types of games we need to be winning if we want to play finals next year. The same thing happened this year when we played GWS in round 3, St Kilda in round 5 and Collingwood in round 7. Those were 3 winnable games for us this year and you can throw our round 18 loss to Essendon + our round 21 loss to Hawthorn in there as well. We win even half those games and we would have played finals this year.

Yes, we played our worst game against Essendon at Marvel but year before that we had 2 great victories there against Richmond and Carlton. I would say it had to more with non-existent pressure against Essendon, we were extremely flat after miracle victory the previous week against Richmond at Metricon.

Fox Sports are more optimistic about Suns next year (David Zita, Catherine Healey and Ben Waterworth)
Gold Coast makes the finals

After many false dawns, the Suns finally look set to break through for a maiden finals appearance in 2023. The fact they got close this year despite losing arguably their most important player in Ben King is a testament to Stewart Dew and the coaching staff along with the playing group. His inclusion back into this side could well be the missing piece and could more than make up for the missing firepower from the now-traded Izak Rankine. The pieces are in place and there’s no reason why Suns fans should be waiting any longer to see their team play finals football.
And Touk Miller wins the Brownlow Medal

He missed out by just two votes in 2022, but 2023 could be a watershed year for both Touk Miller and the Gold Coast Suns. Should the Suns make the finals that means more wins and likely more votes and recognition for Miller, who is already one of the competition’s best midfielders. The hard-runner is a tagger’s nightmare and a teammate’s dream and there’s no reason to think he won’t be in great touch in 2023. He has to be right in the mix for the Brownlow Medal.

Yes, we played our worst game against Essendon at Marvel but year before that we had 2 great victories there against Richmond and Carlton. I would say it had to more with non-existent pressure against Essendon, we were extremely flat after miracle victory the previous week against Richmond at Metricon.

He said this year, not 2021

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He said this year, not 2021

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I know and I said we played good games there in 2021. So, I would say we can play at Marvel. Just my opinion.

We did not change drastically the style from 2021 to 2022 and we did play a good game there in 2022 against North. In Saints game, Saints played a good footy in that time of season and we played probably only 2 good quarters in that game. Saints got on top of us in the middle.

Oh for sure, it will be a great early indicator of where we’re at, as we should be putting in good performances in those games. Just saying we will need to be on, as the margin for error is so small there and if we are a tiny bit off we will get jumped.

I think if we are to play finals next year, it will be a Brisbane/Freo like jump out of ‘nowhere’ where we come out and establish ourselves in that top 6 teams early on, rather than sitting around that 7-11 spot and scrape in.

Oh for sure, it will be a great early indicator of where we’re at, as we should be putting in good performances in those games. Just saying we will need to be on, as the margin for error is so small there and if we are a tiny bit off we will get jumped.

I think if we are to play finals next year, it will be a Brisbane/Freo like jump out of ‘nowhere’ where we come out and establish ourselves in that top 6 teams early on, rather than sitting around that 7-11 spot and scrape in.
Yes, it's incredibly even competition. Probably 14 teams have a shot at finals. Anything can happen. It would be great if we could string together 3-4 wins and get on a roll like e.g., Collingwood. Collingwood players confidence went through the roof with winning.

Reasonable run with injuries, please.

Yes, it's incredibly even competition. Probably 14 teams have a shot at finals. Anything can happen. It would be great if we could string together 3-4 wins and get on a roll like e.g., Collingwood. Collingwood players confidence went through the roof with winning.

Reasonable run with injuries, please.
Belief is a powerful thing.
That and the ability to fight til the end, you'd rather risk it all to try win, than play safe and lose.

9kg.
Wow. Must really be 185cm, 85kg or something similar now.

I thought he was already quite strong, often able to stay standing and handball off when tackled despite his lithe frame.

Could be special Wil.

Someone hit the Eggnog too hard

so dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back