Super League/ARL conflict

Remove this Banner Ad

Agent_Smith

Rookie
Sep 3, 2004
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
I'm currently developing an essay about the effect of mass media using the Super League/ARL war as an example. I'm writing this post for help in getting information and research for me essay.

Can anyone help me out? :D

You will always get two schools of thought. Those whose clubs remained in the ARL and those whose clubs joined Super League. News Ltd might have a lot to answer for but the idea had some merit. only it got out of hand. World Series Cricket was not exactly a bad idea to build upon was it? The ARL as an administrative body did not inspire confidence as they weren't very progressive. If Demetriou stays in charge of the AFL too long, they will find the same level of dissatisfaction and only lessons learned from League will stop a similar situation occurring.

The Old Dark Navy's said:
You will always get two schools of thought. Those whose clubs remained in the ARL and those whose clubs joined Super League. News Ltd might have a lot to answer for but the idea had some merit. only it got out of hand. World Series Cricket was not exactly a bad idea to build upon was it? The ARL as an administrative body did not inspire confidence as they weren't very progressive. If Demetriou stays in charge of the AFL too long, they will find the same level of dissatisfaction and only lessons learned from League will stop a similar situation occurring.

agree with all of that.

it also would of helped the Australian Rugby League get away from Rugby Union more by having a completly different name.(SuperLeague) i liked some of the ideas of SuperLeague but just didn't like the way it all came about.
just hope the idiots who started the war know how to fix it, 10 yrs time we will find out if it was good for the game or bad.

Get a copy of Mike Colman's "Super League The inside story". A very well put together book that shows both sides good and bad. I came away from reading it constantly thinking "if only this..." and "why didnt they..."

melbournestorm said:
Get a copy of Mike Colman's "Super League The inside story". A very well put together book that shows both sides good and bad. I came away from reading it constantly thinking "if only this..." and "why didnt they..."
Exactly!! The whole episode is the greatest missed opportunity in the game. If only they had worked together, as originally planned, then the ARL competition would be kicking butt today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Super League/ARL conflict

Remove this Banner Ad

Back