Sydneyfan

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2000
Brisbanópolis
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S’roos, Brisbane Lions, N Syd Bears
Read an interesting article in last Sunday's Sun Herald about the Russian, Chinese, Japanese and American Rugby Confederations organising a yearly Supernations Cup, in the same vein as the Tri Nations and 6 Nations Cups.

Rugby in the US and Japan is stronger than in Russia and China presently though Rugby is growing rapidly with the Chinese Army keen on Rugby and regular big crowds in Russia. They reckon within a couple of decades these 4 nations, all with large populations, will be close to a similar level as traditional Rugby superpowers which is good for the game. :cool:

If Japan ever won any line out ball against England I would be ashamed.:D

Having said that I seem to remember that they tend to recruit the odd foreigner for the second row positions.

Yeah rugby's definitely growing, they're mad for it in Siberia & Georgia & the US seems to pick up players who weren't quite good enough for pro Gridiron but who make more than useful rugby players.

It's good to see it grow but at the same time it's nice to be a country where you're one of the superpowers don't if I'd be to happy if we slipped well down the rankings behind the US, russia & china(a long way off granted).

When the Lions toured here about 18 months ago, we met some rugby players from NEW York who came over especially for to see the Wallabies and Lions play in Melbourne (as part of their holiday). They did mention the game is growing in America...so I was happy to hear that.

The SP cup aint a bad concept.

All four countries have almost 2 billion people between them, so even if you interest 1% of people - thats like 20 million.

I hope the IRB stick to this plan for at least 10 yrs, cause it will be in the long term were we can see results.

Japan already has more rugby players than Australia would you believe. The US in the last couple of years have started to see a huge growth in the game in high schools - many kids are starting to try sports other than the current big 4 in America. In Russia, half of all rugby players are pre-teen kids which is great because in the next 10-15yrs Russia might be making some big waves. In China the game is growing quite fast in the universities, and the army is getting involved too. I one time read an article where a chinese army official asked a NZ rugby official if he knew where he could find 3,000 coaches to teach the game :D - his jaw dropped when he hear that. China is definitely keen, but they need quality coaches - lots of them. I think they have many tall guys in China, China's only NBA player Yao Ming stands at 7ft 6 - with a guy that tall you will win the lineout all the time.

I say by 2020, all 4 countries will be making waves in rugby.

Originally posted by DIPPER
If Japan ever won any line out ball against England I would be ashamed.:D

Having said that I seem to remember that they tend to recruit the odd foreigner for the second row positions.

Yeah rugby's definitely growing, they're mad for it in Siberia & Georgia & the US seems to pick up players who weren't quite good enough for pro Gridiron but who make more than useful rugby players.

It's good to see it grow but at the same time it's nice to be a country where you're one of the superpowers don't if I'd be to happy if we slipped well down the rankings behind the US, russia & china(a long way off granted).

But in Russia. Rugby League is the faster growing sport. Reasons? We Russians like the harder legaue version of rugby.

Yawnion is also the fastest shrinking sport in England and Wales.

BTW, it's Rugby Union if you don't mind. Read the histories of the two codes before declaring that yours is the real code of rugby.

What does it matter? Union got there first, they can keep the name rugby.

If you want to argue about it, their game is closer to original rugby school rules anyway. Does Rugby Public School play league at all?

There was a traditional game in Georgia called Lelos which was basically rugby without rules or goalposts - Lelos is now Georgian for 'try' and the name of the national team.

History Lesson:
Rugby League exists because the working class players in the north of england wanted compensation from time away from work but the Rugby Union wanted to be an amateur game. Hence the northerners started there own form of rugby.

Regarless though, why does it matter if you call union rugby when your in a union forum? Is there any reason to get offensive over semantics?

Its certainly a sore point between people that have been brought up on either code of rugby.
I can see both sides of the story, but its certainly a lot easier for converts to both codes to like both codes because there is no real history for us and all that emotion I suppose....

I do have a preference for League but also enjoy watching Union and would love to see a team down here in Melb.

Remove this Banner Ad

Superpowers Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Back