Swans declare war?

Remove this Banner Ad

Fire

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 12, 2003
New York
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I know that Roos and the swans waged a media campaign against GWS in the early stages, but now that GWS is going ahead, surely its time for them to adapt?

They have every right to look after themselves in terms of securing local talent, but now is the time for them to implement another model to cede the western suburbs to GWS. This will allow them focus their resources more directly on markets which they preciously didn't.

It makes no sense for the swans to invest time and money in a marketplace which will soon be covered. The teams should not be competing against each other at the cost of other areas.

Now that GWS is coming, it is in the Swans best interest that it does well. It will be devastating to the game and the swans brand if GWS were to fail, so it seems ridiculous that the Swans are focusing on 'taking a chunk' out of the Western Sydney marketplace.

Swans, the market has changed and it's time to adapt

It's a tough one as the Swans have approx 9,000 superpass members for ANZ Stadium games in western Sydney that they no doubt would like to not only keep but increase the numbers. I still firmly believe that competition in this market will be good in the long term for both teams.

It's a tough one as the Swans have approx 9,000 superpass members for ANZ Stadium games in western Sydney that they no doubt would like to not only keep but increase the numbers. I still firmly believe that competition in this market will be good in the long term for both teams.

But teh swans also have their own market which you can increase numbers from, wouldn't you agree?

Of the western based members, some will stay, some will go. But wouldn't both the swans and team GWS be serviced better by focusing on their own marketplace, rather than fighting in the same territory?

But teh swans also have their own market which you can increase numbers from, wouldn't you agree?

Of the western based members, some will stay, some will go. But wouldn't both the swans and team GWS be serviced better by focusing on their own marketplace, rather than fighting in the same territory?

Yeah I see where you're coming from and it certainly does make sense. North western Sydney and the Hills district could be problematic though. Where do you draw the dividing line? That said, I'm confident both teams will be ok and the market will grow with the addition of a new team. Both teams will benefit.

Possibly WS may I will however leave that for their fans to answer, The Swans on the other hand no. Our coach made it clear that West Sydney remains a place for our attention to get supporters.

That might be so, but from the Swans' point of view, the
"each in their own marketplace" idea is simply taking half the Swans' traditional market away from them. For obvious reasons, that is the half that had the most room for increased exploitation. It's a big step to go from the Sydney team to a "not-West" Sydney team, even if you've never been huge in the west.

"each in their own marketplace" idea is simply taking half the Swans' traditional market away from them. For obvious reasons, that is the half that had the most room for increased exploitation. It's a big step to go from the Sydney team to a "not-West" Sydney team, even if you've never been huge in the west.

I think both Sydney teams should promote themselves everywhere...get the argy-bargy happening now. People follow teams for all sorts of different reasons. Some people on the North Shore may like to be rebels and follow GWS just to aggravate the Swannies or they might have originally lived in Parramatta and want to support the home-grown team etc etc. Its important that the main AFL game in Sydney is GWS versus Sydney Swans...not AFL versus NRL.

Soon as Western Sydney get their marketing sorted (logo, jumper etc...) they need to start beating up the rivalry with the Swans, and in term the Swans with Western.

League is renowned for State Of Origin. So use that, they don't get to enjoy that geographical rivalry in Sydney (clubs are fairly close), QLD does however. Geographical rivalries bring out the tribalism and passion.

Yes but I'm asking why waste money to compete in a marketplace when you have a large one all to yourself? It's not like they are dominating their own territory and need to expand in order to grow. They have a lot of untapped 'potential' in their own market.

Their resources would be put to better use developing their own territory, rather than someone else's.

At least thats how I see it.

Yes but I'm asking why waste money to compete in a marketplace when you have a large one all to yourself? It's not like they are dominating their own territory and need to expand in order to grow. They have a lot of untapped 'potential' in their own market.

Their resources would be put to better use developing their own territory, rather than someone else's.

At least thats how I see it.

What you've got in mind is possibly how it will turn out in the long run. However, right now the way you are putting it comes across as nonsense.

How is it "expansion" to want fans in an area that you've worked in for the past nearly 30 years? When exactly did Western Sydney stop being the Swans' territory? What do you do with the resources you've already spent?

Apart from that, who is drawing the lines? <a href="http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16312206&postcount=19">This post</a> is interesting - there's going to be a fair amount of "middle ground", even if it does end up being a mainly geographical split between the two.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back