SWFL talent

Remove this Banner Ad

chris andrew wore number 23.

Thanks Cheif. Did notice the number 23 but not as much as I noticed the number 4, great extractor, we'll have to keep Faulkner quiet!:D

Does anyone remember that hack Cody Garlett? Former Swans districts player who played in 07 who didn't get drafted that year, then in 08 add a jail term and just recently now in 09 is playing back for Carey Park. Will he make a SD comeback in 2010?

Try and have an awesome year in 2010 and get drafted to the AFL? (21 y.o in oct - nov 2010)

Does anyone remember that hack Cody Garlett? Former Swans districts player who played in 07 who didn't get drafted that year, then in 08 add a jail term and just recently now in 09 is playing back for Carey Park. Will he make a SD comeback in 2010?

Try and have an awesome year in 2010 and get drafted to the AFL? (21 y.o in oct - nov 2010)

I remember him along with other garletts, clinton, dylan etc. why the jail term? he was a pretty good player.

What a surprise!

Clint Garlett (CP) was named in the Centre for the WAFL Colts team of the year. Kieran Butcher (EB) was named Ruck Rover, both from the SWFL.

Cody Garlett was, and probably still is a great footballer. He dominated the 2006 SWFL Grand Final at 16 and went on to play really good football for Swan Districts in his 8 League games in 2007 as a 17 year old. Granted he made a mistake but he still has the talent to make it at least at WAFL grade. He turns 20 in December so time is still very much on his side. It would only be beneficial for his rehabilitation to be back in a football enviroment and working towards team and individual goals. personally I hope he does.

I remember him putting in a pretty much best on ground performance when he was either 15 or 16 in the GF against HBL a few years ago.

I remember him putting in a pretty much best on ground performance when he was either 15 or 16 in the GF against HBL a few years ago.

You must be talking about the 2006 league grand final, Bayliss Obviously under estimated him and didnt play a quick, fit colt who would have kept him quite

You must be talking about the 2006 league grand final, Bayliss Obviously under estimated him and didnt play a quick, fit colt who would have kept him quite
Garlett was a quick and fit player then. Why would you play a colts player in a GF? If they were good enough they would play league all year.

He may have meant "colt" as in a youngster?

Maybe?

Yes,a colt who did played a league game that year. eg: perhaps a Chris Strano or a Anthony Morobito (although was only 15) was one of the four emergencies. But in saying this i dont have anything to do with HBL

can anyone tell me where the swfl sits in a league ranking ??

I am not quite sure what you are asking here

But the SWFL is the strongest country competition in WA and it can be argued that it is the strongest competition outside the WAFL along with the A-grade amatures giving stiff competition as a metro based competition

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not quite sure what you are asking here

But the SWFL is the strongest country competition in WA and it can be argued that it is the strongest competition outside the WAFL along with the A-grade amatures giving stiff competition as a metro based competition

exactly what i am after...

another question comparison to a vic league your opinon?

Sorry mate I have no idea of the standard of regional victoria leagues. But the strongest Victorian league out side the VFL would be similar in comparison to the SWFL.

All I know is there are multiple clubs in the SWFL that would have total player payments of over 100k a season. I know HBL did a few year ago and you'd think South Bunbury and Carey Park would as well these days especially the former.

from what i have heard, south bunbury HBL and Carey park offer a lot of money for anyone with an inch of wafl experience. some spending more per year on player payments than the wafl.. all it takes is 5 or 6 marquee type players on 500-700 a game for 20 games a year to build it up a bit.. 500 x 20 = 10000. so 10k a year for 5 or players and your already up around the 60k mark.. plus those players taht come in at 100 or 200 a game. with some guys fetching upto 900-1000 a game from reports. gotta love country footy

well that was a good call!
As Aaron has been quoted in the press, North were the first club to contact him.

Fantastic to see 4 former SWFL players drafted. Maybe another one could get rookied, Ben Howlett would have a lot to offer an AFL club. Interesting to note that 3 of the 4 (Black, Stratton and Jetta) all represented the SWFL at the Landmark carnival. In Stratton and definitely Black's case (10 Goals in GF) it may have made their WAFL zoned clubs sit up and take notice.

On the point of clubs spending $100k on players, that is a figure that is tossed around quite regularly and seems to hold some truth. I think it is detrimental to our league to have so many paid players. A recruit with minimal WAFL experience can demand, and recieve a hefty pay day to play in the SWFL. The points system used in the WAFL as of last year could surely have some application in Country Leagues. It has been used very successfully in Victoria. At the very least having a capped number of recruits will give opportunities to local/young players who would otherwise play in lower grades.

I think Howlett can get picked up as a rookie. Fremantle most likely. Would be interesting to see if he continues his part -time study at uni in Bunbury if this happens. I would also think he will no longer travel from donnybrook for training and games

To be eligible players must be under 21.
There are a lot of other promising young players playing league football.
AMR- Jordan Hughes, Marcus Atkinson.
Bunbury- Travis Grey, Jace Cormack, Trent Gribble.
Busselton- Mitch Howlett
Carey Park- Glen Garlett, Dylan Garlett, Kirk Ugle.
Collie Eagles- Wes Pullan, Shane Earl.
Donnybrook- Tim Davies, Callan Buckley.
Eaton Boomers- Matt Jas, Matt Tamm, Gino Catalano, Michael Russell.
Harvey Bulls- Kieran Germs, Dean Miller, Blake Piggott.
HBL- Matt Doherty, Daniel Lyon, Luke Morabito.
South Bunbury- Ray Daniels, Hayden Hutcheson, Chris Andrews.

It's actually Gray. Spoke to his mum not long ago and he is moving to perth soon to play for swans.

Remove this Banner Ad

SWFL talent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back