SaintsSupporter

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 25, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St. Kilda
I've been saying it for ages - why is everyone getting so worked up about the Swans going on a 6 match winning streak? People are saying they're in a better position than last year, but look who they beat:

1) Geelong - were and still are in a massive form slump, were hardly competitive on the night bar a late comeback. Only beaten by 4 goals.

2) Brisbane - were in a bigger slump than Geelong, and were looking the wooden spooners at the time. Only beaten by 5 goals.

3) Richmond - fair enough, I'll give Sydney this one. Richmond were starting to get a little form about them and got thumped.

4) Western Bulldogs - were well down on their early form with key injuries to Minson, Giansiracusa among others. Only beaten by 3 goals.

5) Hawthorn - a convincing win, but look at what Hawthorn have done since. Nothing.

6) North Melbourne - the worst of their 6 wins. Were down by 5 goals at one stage and only just pinned back this year's spooners.

--------------------------------------

What do these all have in common?

1) All were either a) out of the 8 last year, or b) out of the 8 this year.
2) Besides the Richmond game, none were overly convincing.
3) Are ALL in bad form at the moment, and can barely string 2 wins together.

In their 11 games this year, Sydney has only played finalists from last year FOUR TIMES - Port Adelaide, Melbourne, St. Kilda and Geelong. They lost to Port AT HOME, Melbourne AT HOME and the Saints AT HOME, and beat a Cats side who won't make the 8 this year.

In the next two months, they play COLLINGWOOD, ADELAIDE, WEST COAST at SUBI, PORT ADELAIDE at AAMI and MELBOURNE at the MCG, all of which they will lose.

After 19 rounds this year, the Swans will be 10 and 9 and will play tough games against Geelong at Skilled and Brisbane at TS which will determine whether they make the 8 or not.

And don't reply with a St. Kilda bash, I think we're going in the same direction, but I fail to see why Sydney's dodgy winning form is going unnoticed.

SaintsSupporter said:
And don't reply with a St. Kilda bash, I think we're going in the same direction, but I fail to see why Sydney's dodgy winning form is going unnoticed.

This has been the way for years....I have not known a year in which the swans have actually been considered a genuine contender...that's why very few notice us.

I haven't talked up the swans at all yet given the teams they have beaten. I'm just happy to be in the position that we are. The next 4weeks will be the real test. If we can win 3/4 of those matches, then I'll start suggesting we are a threat

SaintsSupporter said:
I've been saying it for ages - why is everyone getting so worked up about the Swans going on a 6 match winning streak? People are saying they're in a better position than last year, but look who they beat:

1) Geelong - were and still are in a massive form slump, were hardly competitive on the night bar a late comeback. Only beaten by 4 goals.

2) Brisbane - were in a bigger slump than Geelong, and were looking the wooden spooners at the time. Only beaten by 5 goals.

3) Richmond - fair enough, I'll give Sydney this one. Richmond were starting to get a little form about them and got thumped.

4) Western Bulldogs - were well down on their early form with key injuries to Minson, Giansiracusa among others. Only beaten by 3 goals.

5) Hawthorn - a convincing win, but look at what Hawthorn have done since. Nothing.

6) North Melbourne - the worst of their 6 wins. Were down by 5 goals at one stage and only just pinned back this year's spooners.

--------------------------------------

What do these all have in common?

1) All were either a) out of the 8 last year, or b) out of the 8 this year.
2) Besides the Richmond game, none were overly convincing.
3) Are ALL in bad form at the moment, and can barely string 2 wins together.

In their 11 games this year, Sydney has only played finalists from last year FOUR TIMES - Port Adelaide, Melbourne, St. Kilda and Geelong. They lost to Port AT HOME, Melbourne AT HOME and the Saints AT HOME, and beat a Cats side who won't make the 8 this year.

In the next two months, they play COLLINGWOOD, ADELAIDE, WEST COAST at SUBI, PORT ADELAIDE at AAMI and MELBOURNE at the MCG, all of which they will lose.

After 19 rounds this year, the Swans will be 10 and 9 and will play tough games against Geelong at Skilled and Brisbane at TS which will determine whether they make the 8 or not.

What does that make the Saints, who have you beaten.

Why in all hell was this post moved? It's not a dig at Sydney, it's pointing their form out and uses some basic facts to point it out. Stupid to move it.

Truth Personified said:
What does that make the Saints, who have you beaten.
Can't you read? I said this in the posti:

SaintsSupporter said:
Why in all hell was this post moved? It's not a dig at Sydney, it's pointing their form out and uses some basic facts to point it out. Stupid to move it.

I know. The melbourne/magpies slide thread is still in the main forum. Perhaps you needed to have a different title?

I'm surprised that I didn't notice that, it's a lot like Collingwood before they played Melbourne, although there is a difference between those two teams when you consider last seasons form.

Another thing is that they beat the Bulldogs -albeit in Sydney, which should count for something.

Overall it seems like they got a good draw. Richmond, Port, Essendon, Melbourne, Geelong, Brisbane and Carlton twice. Of those only Melbourne is currently in the top 8.

agree

plenty of people question the pies as a real threat saying they haven't beaten anybody yet

but the swans haven't played any of the top 3 teams on the ladder yet(those teams have been the top3 all season too!!)

Jimmy_the_Gent said:
I'm surprised that I didn't notice that, it's a lot like Collingwood before they played Melbourne, although there is a difference between those two teams when you consider last seasons form.

Another thing is that they beat the Bulldogs -albeit in Sydney, which should count for something.

Overall it seems like they got a good draw. Richmond, Port, Essendon, Melbourne, Geelong, Brisbane and Carlton twice. Of those only Melbourne is currently in the top 8.
sydney lost to

essendon - pies beat them
port - pies beat them
st.kilda - pies yet to play them
melbourne - pies lost to them too

pies have lost to
west coast - sydney yet to play them
adelaide - sydney yet to play them
melbourne - sydney did too

yet pies are rubbish, sydney are certain top4?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

skipper kelly said:
I think they did.
What makes you say that? Bay 13 is for non-fact based slinging matches between fans of different clubs. This is a) fact based, 2) not a 'slinging match', 3) not aimed at Swans supporters, moreso at their club and 4) is in no way meant to start an argument. Anyone that wants to argue this point is welcome to do so with facts and evidence, as I have presented.

This is why it should be back in the main forum.

If the person who moved it would like to contact me and let me know why they did actually move it, that'd be great.

SaintsSupporter said:
What makes you say that? Bay 13 is for non-fact based slinging matches between fans of different clubs. This is a) fact based, 2) not a 'slinging match', 3) not aimed at Swans supporters, moreso at their club and 4) is in no way meant to start an argument. Anyone that wants to argue this point is welcome to do so with facts and evidence, as I have presented.

This is why it should be back in the main forum.

If the person who moved it would like to contact me and let me know why they did actually move it, that'd be great.

you gave opinion.

If all posts were moved here because of opinion, then we wouldn't even have an Australian Football League section. To list that as your reason for it being moved here is scraping the bottom of the barrel - every single post on BigFooty contains opinion.

skipper kelly said:
Who is saying this?
Is this a majority view?
plenty of threads floating around saying pies are pretenders, haven't beaten anybody of note, will start a dramatic slide now that we play some "tough" teams, no depth, advantaged by the draw etc. etc.

yet exactly the same could be said for sydney

haven't beaten anybody decent
playing "tough" teams now
no depth as u have only used 24-5 players all season, pies have used 30+
get advantaged by the draw with away games at home

yet sydney are certainties for top4?

SaintsSupporter said:
If all posts were moved here because of opinion, then we wouldn't even have an Australian Football League section.

depends on the opinion.

To list that as your reason for it being moved here is scraping the bottom of the barrel - every single post on BigFooty contains opinion.
My reason?? I can assure you that I have nothing to do with this thread being moved.

doppleganger said:
plenty of threads floating around saying pies are pretenders, haven't beaten anybody of note, will start a dramatic slide now that we play some "tough" teams, no depth, advantaged by the draw etc. etc.

yet exactly the same could be said for sydney

haven't beaten anybody decent
playing "tough" teams now
no depth as u have only used 24-5 players all season, pies have used 30+
get advantaged by the draw with away games at home

yet sydney are certainties for top4?

Hey? How does using only 24-25 players indicate we don't have depth?? Are we supposed to play more than that (even without injuries) to show we have "depth?" It shows how well our players are managed in terms of injury prevention.

In terms of the last point, that's not our fault that teams play "home" games at our ground

skipper kelly said:
depends on the opinion.

My reason?? I can assure you that I have nothing to do with this thread being moved.
I didn't say you moved it, I said that the main section is for expressing your opinion on football matters, which my post does. It doesn't take a shot at supporters, it doesnt say SWANS SUPPOTERS ARE D1CKS or SYDNEY ARE F*CKING CRAP, it poses a question as to why they are being talked up when they factually haven't beaten teams of much substance.

swanniez1983 said:
Hey? How does using only 24-25 players indicate we don't have depth?? Are we supposed to play more than that (even without injuries) to show we have "depth?" It shows how well our players are managed in terms of injury prevention.

In terms of the last point, that's not our fault that teams play "home" games at ou ground
using only 24-25 players gives no indication that u have any depth at all

not collingwoods fault that melbourne clubs want to play us at home either??

but why are sydney certainties to make the top4 in most predictions, yet pies exposed and will slide??

doppleganger said:
using only 24-25 players gives no indication that u have any depth at all

not collingwoods fault that melbourne clubs want to play us at home either??

but why are sydney certainties to make the top4 in most predictions, yet pies exposed and will slide??

Ah but you said we had no depth because we had only used that many players ;)

I never said they are certainties. the opinions of people on Bigfooty doesn't represent the entire community. People have their opinions but nothing is set in concrete. The top 4 teams may fall out of the 8 if they stuff it all up

swanniez1983 said:
Ah but you said we had no depth because we had only used that many players ;)

I never said they are certainties. the opinions of people on Bigfooty doesn't represent the entire community. People have their opinions but nothing is set in concrete. The top 4 teams may fall out of the 8 if they stuff it all up
i was comparing sydney to collingwood, people are saying the pies are doing well as we have had no injuries, when we have 5 changes in one week we lose, said that people could also question sydney re no depth as they have only used 24-25 players

i think collingwood & sydney will both make the top4, but funny how pies come under fire from all angles yet sydney seem to slip under the radar when the seasons to date have been very similar!

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney aren't much chop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back