Rex

All Australian
Sep 16, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
sydney swans
I've been really impressed with the Sydney Morning Herald's coverage of footy in 2009.

They have been really impressive during the off-season with several from page headlines focussing in on footy.

Saturday's Herald is traditionally the biggest selling newspaper on the week, excluding Sundays, and footage dominates the entire front broadsheet page with Paul Kelly West Sydney story. There is virtually no space devoted to the NRL.

The coverage of Sydney's off-season recruits has been second-to-none and much bigger than for individual clubs of rival codes. It appears at least one paper is coming around to the great game of football in Sydney.

Is there any coverage of the Storm in Melbourne's papers. I doubt it. :)

SMH is a Fairfax rag, so they could theoretically pull content from The Age. Caro, etc, are Age writers so they have some talent.

I like The Age for footy because they are NOT the official AFL paper and are able to write stuff that isn't clearly being fed to them by the AFL!

Is there any coverage of the Storm in Melbourne's papers. I doubt it. :)

Newcorp's Hun usually has a page dedicated to the storm att he start (or end since you read backwards) of the sports section when the season is on.

I think it must be their policy as they really seem to stretch for content some days.

But no you wouldn't want to be a Storm fan without the Hun, The age doesn't give it the same attention.

I've always found it funny that the Terror claims to be the OFFICIAL paper of the Sydney Swans yet their coverage is limited to game reports and a weekly puff piece. Two when the Swans are doing well. God help you if you were relying them on trade or off season information.

SMH is a Fairfax rag, so they could theoretically pull content from The Age. Caro, etc, are Age writers so they have some talent.

The majority of articles are not simply lifted from the The Age, most of the stuff I'm talking about is written by Sydney writers.

Today's big story for instance is written by Michael Cowley and Danny Weidler. Weidler is better known as a rugby reporter on Cha Nine in Sydney.

You get some days where there is more football than rugby league in the Sydney Morning Herald.

I'd like to compare the Storm's run in the Age compared to the AFL. :)

hahaha

It's just amusing that you keep reading on this board about the fear that is apparently endemic in Sydney and how Melbourne is apparently the sporting capital, and yet there is boasting about the Age barely having RL coverage and praise of the independant Sydney paper that, rightly so, provides reasonable coverage to all the major codes in Australia.

hahaha

It's just amusing that you keep reading on this board about the fear that is apparently endemic in Sydney and how Melbourne is apparently the sporting capital, and yet there is boasting about the Age barely having RL coverage and praise of the independant Sydney paper that, rightly so, provides reasonable coverage to all the major codes in Australia.

That's because bumsniffin is about as relevant as marble game between kids at a school ground. I for one am proud our papers don't waste too much space on reporting such unimportant crap.

That's because bumsniffin is about as relevant as marble game between kids at a school ground. I for one am proud our papers don't waste too much space on reporting such unimportant crap.

proud huh? and so you should be, well done mate something to be very proud of and keep up the good work son...:thumbsu:

proud huh? and so you should be, well done mate something to be very proud of and keep up the good work son...:thumbsu:

Our papers are already filled with too much gossip tabloid nonsense. At least they're upholding our sport section to a decent standard and not lowering it by reporting on thugby crap, that is something most Melburnians are definitely proud of. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney Morning Herald is Sydney's official footy paper

Remove this Banner Ad

Back