Coaching Staff Sydney Swans Assist Coaching & Recruiting Staff: The Brains Trust

Remove this Banner Ad

Current Sydney Swan Coaching Staff:

Head Coach: John Longmire Thread for Head Coach can be found here
Executive General Manager Football: Leon Cameron
Dean Cox
Jarrad McVeigh (VFL Coach)
Mark McVeigh
Ben Matthews
High Performance: Shane Lehane
Swans Academy:
Colin O'Riordan (Male Academy)

Last edited:

Footy Department updates

Harmit Singh has been appointed as the Talent and Coaching Director of the QBE Sydney Swans Academy

Jarrad McVeigh will take over as Head Coach of the Sydney Swans VFL team

Adam Kennedy has joined the Sydney Swans as an AFL Development Coach

Footy Department updates

Harmit Singh has been appointed as the Talent and Coaching Director of the QBE Sydney Swans Academy

You are unbelievable only realised it 4 mins ago and i was about to type lol
Do you just sit on stuff

Footy Department updates

Hope all go well. It's good to see people coming in from other clubs and bringing their knowledge with them.

You are unbelievable only realised it 4 mins ago and i was about to type lol
Do you just sit on stuff
He's part of the Swans media team.

Footy Department updates

Anyone know much about Adam Kennedy? Not knocking the guy but is a recently retired player the best choice as a development coach? Reads more as a mentor than skills development.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Singh looks like a quality appointment - very experienced. I particularly like that he has lots of experience working with Indigenous and multicultural communities because we need to get more diversity into our players (and, incidentally, at board level - don't think it's so much of an issue with the other staff).

Anyone know much about Adam Kennedy? Not knocking the guy but is a recently retired player the best choice as a development coach? Reads more as a mentor than skills development.

Development coaches are a lot more about mentoring than skills I think. Brett Kirk is in charge of development but also 'Wellbeing' which shows how development is not merely (or even primarily) about developing skills. The article does say "Kennedy will spend most of his time mentoring the club’s 1st–3rd-year players."

I think the performance and line coaches are more the ones that work on skills. It's valuable to get a player with recent experience (and a long career) as a development coach. It's also not that easy to do because they are taking a big cut in salary. I imagine our extensive links with GWS created the opportunity but also very good intel on whether he was a suitable recruit. (There has been so much crossover between the clubs in the past couple of years - of which I think we have come out in front.)

Last edited:
Look like good changes. I echo the point on getting more diversity in.

I wonder if any other coaches will be incoming? As it stands it looks like we are down one line coach with McVeigh going to reserves but up one cross cutting coach with Kennedy coming in. We did go after Dew, so I suspect they we still seeking a new line coach?

The only other assistant coach that I've seen leave their club recently was Greg Stafford from the Demons, but not sure if he's in consideration or if he's even interested.

Love the Kennedy appointment. Bloke had to fight and scrap each year for his GWS career. If he's teaching our 1st-3rd year players about resilience, not taking anything for granted and the game as a whole, there might not be anyone better than him to do it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaching Staff Sydney Swans Assist Coaching & Recruiting Staff: The Brains Trust

Remove this Banner Ad

Back