Sydney's record in grand finals needs scrutinising

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m starting a change.org petition to ban them from GFs, the rest of us shouldn’t have to put up with this.

Get a load of this, they want a best of 3 series!

Goodfellas GIF

Sydney's Grand Final record under coach Longmire is 1 win and 4 losses.

That is a self destructive, horrendous and horrific record. Sydney fans should be embarrassed by that stat.

It just shows that Home & Away footy means absolutely nothing...all it does is set a team up for a Premiership win.

It's Finals Footy that wins a team a Premiership.

Sydney keep turning to water, they keep crumbling like a cheesecake biscuit base. Pathetic really.

What is it with Collingwood fans being dicks today? Had around 3 or 4 Collingwood fans who were trolling on the Swans board during the game.

Karma, payback…

But it’s a great day for everyone who’s put up with the Swans fans arrogance all year long.

That is a self destructive, horrendous and horrific record. Sydney fans should be embarrassed by that stat.

It just shows that Home & Away footy means absolutely nothing...all it does is set a team up for a Premiership win.

Sydney keep turning to water, they keep crumbling like a cheesecake biscuit base. Pathetic really.

and the 1 win was largely still a Paul Roos side that valued clearances and contested football.

Its not just the losses, its the manner.

3 of them over by half time. How is that possible to be that uncompetitive?

I’m starting a change.org petition to ban them from GFs, the rest of us shouldn’t have to put up with this.
Like the petition that we started banning Essendon from winning a final again? Think that petition started in 2004 from memory

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They really know how to kill a vibe for neutrals. For the love of God, to whoever may face them in the prelim next year just make sure they don't make it so everyone can enjoy the day next time.

I don't think it is an outside of the top 4 thing. I think it is Longmire's lack of interest in clearances that is the problem.

It’s not that simple.

Barely a player winning their position all over the ground. Most look scared, a step behind. Out marked, kicking to nobody.

Just bizarre.

Longmire’s 1-4 record is flattering.
They were lucky to win the 2012 grand final. Check out the stats from that game.
Contested possessions
Haw 170 Syd 144
Clearances
Haw 58 Syd 35
Inside 50’s
Haw 61 Syd 43
Scoring shots
Haw 26 Syd 21
We have put the Buddy curse on them.
2014 - Hawks smash swans.
2016 - Clarko assistant Bevo.
2022 - Isaac Smith norm smith.
2024 - Clarko assistant Fages.

But isn’t that why you recruited Mr September Brodie Grundy and Taylor Adams?

Yes, and Longmire refused to play Adams.

He also refuses to play Sheldrick, who is a clearance beast but is only really capable of playing as an inside midfielder.

Longmire just does not value that, he values players who can play in many positions, so essentially a "jack of all trades, master of none" philosophy.

Longmire’s 1-4 record is flattering.
They were lucky to win the 2012 grand final. Check out the stats from that game.
Contested possessions
Haw 170 Syd 144
Clearances
Haw 58 Syd 35
Inside 50’s
Haw 61 Syd 43
Scoring shots
Haw 26 Syd 21
We have put the Buddy curse on them.
2014 - Hawks smash swans.
2016 - Clarko assistant Bevo.
2022 - Isaac Smith norm smith.
2024 - Clarko assistant Fages.
We had heart in 2012, shame it went since though

I would honestly rather be a St Kilda fan who never has hope at all than a Sydney fan who gives their fans hope and then without mercy crushes that hope.

You realise St. Kilda had been through all this for much longer.

You guys won two amazing flags inside the last 20 years. You're doing better than a lot. You're at the Collingwood/Geelong phase of some losses, but your club will continue to be up there and snag them as the years go by.

My advice is don't base your hope around a football club you just watch. You're not involved, they sucked today, it sucks, but you have your own life. Get involved in something else.

I've coached my kids to 5 basketball grand finals in the last 2 years. I only won the first one. I've lost 3 in the the last 12 months alone. My oldest son has won 3 all up (2 with other teams) and lost 2 other grand finals.

But you know what? It's ****ing hard to win the ultimate. You put everything into it, someone has to lose, a lot of the time shit doesn't go your way you can't control. Just keep competing and give yourself the opportunity to go again.

And remember, other than Brisbane, everyone lost their opportunity this year. You guys get the suckiest feeling as you were the closest, but you gave yourself the opportunity. Gotta just keep going again next year.

Go watch that 2012 flag again. It was ****ing awesome. 05 was eh, though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney's record in grand finals needs scrutinising

Remove this Banner Ad

Back