Sydney's record in grand finals needs scrutinising

Remove this Banner Ad

They were at least prepared to tackle in 2012. Can't stand Kennet but he was actually right in what he said after that game. You don't win a GF unless you're prepared to tackle and chase like a maniac. Swans had 33 in the first 3 quarters today...
Absolutely spot on. This was tge only reason Collingwood got so close to Brisbane in 2002. They were a 10 goal worse team than them but I think the pies broke the record for most tackles laid in a game until that point. Collingwood’s pressure was relentless. If your tackling game is on, you will always be a chance to win the GF

If you saw the crap Collingwood fans cop after any loss let alone grand final defeats you might gain an insight into the reasons for this shitty behaviour from a handful of our supporters.
Oh ourselves and Bombers fans would be on the receiving end of it as well! I do feel for the Swans here to tell you the truth.

A defeat like that for a second time in three years in a grand final, is bound to leave mental scars on both their players and supporters.

Stick in there mate. Your team was good enough to make whist another 16 teams were not (mine included). Most of those bagging the Swans are coming from teams who were absolute failures this year. Head up, the Bloods will be there again.
The Swans have failed dismally to deliver in three out of their last four grand finals.

As i said in my other post i feel for their supporters, but they deserve to be called out for being a club who just aren't capable of producing the goods in grand finals.

The Swans have failed dismally to deliver in three out of their last four grand finals.

As i said in my other post i feel for their supporters, but they deserve to be called out for being a club who just aren't capable of producing the goods in grand finals.

I put the blame on Longmire as ultimately he is the one responsible, especially since he refuses to correct the errors he is making in completely dismissing the need to make us a strong team at the clearances.

I put the blame on Longmire as ultimately he is the one responsible, especially since he refuses to correct the errors he is making in completely dismissing the need to make us a strong team at the clearances.
Or more simply, to win big finals away from Sydney. He has coached home town heroes over the last 12 years.

Just 45 tackles today. Didn't turn up at all.

Wilted under the pressure.

Lions brought the heat early in the game as did the Hawks in 2014. Similar blowout.
It’s become a trend for the Swans to just wilt.

Not quite.

At least modern Swans fans can recall at least one flag, maybe two.

Geelong's pain in losing those 4 flags was exacerbated by the fact we hadn't actually won one since 1963.

In saying that, they really underperformed today, no question.

True but today did look a lot like us in 95. Should have been right in it but didn't show up and annihilated again. Feel like this will be extremely difficult to come back again from for the Swans.

All credit to Longmire for that 2012 flag win, but the Swans have played in five grand finals under him for one win.

They were destroyed in three out of their four grand final defeats under him as well.

That grand final was legacy defining for both him and the Swans. They finished top of the ladder, they were spoken about as likely premiers all year.

They still got destroyed in yet another grand final though. The Swanwobbles are every bit as real and probably worse at this stage than the Colliwobbles!
Yeah, to be fair to the Pies, they tend to drag themselves into Grand Finals that they have no business being in.

They at least bring a contest pretty regularly, and have been unlucky enough to run into some super sides over the journey.

Sydney on the other hand have gone in as the minor premiers in 3 of the last 4 GFs, and been flogged in three of them.

It's one thing to sneak in when you're not really good enough and fall short, it's another to barnstorm your way in and not show up.

All year I thought: no-one is speaking about their terrible GF record. They get off so lightly with the media but now we know what the Bloods Culture really is.
I think the biggest problem is the mentality in Sydney media is the Swans making a GF is seen as massive achievement and they get all these pats on the back. Those swannies battling away make another GF.

Come GF day they get belted unless your in the Victoria the media afterwards don't really reflect on it and they dont get the heat.

It will be the same this week as everyone in Sydney's focus will be on NRL GF week.

There won't be much spoken about the Swans.

I think the biggest problem is the mentality in Sydney media is the Swans making a GF is seen as massive achievement and they get all these pats on the back. Those swannies battling away make another GF.

Come GF day they get belted unless your in the Victoria the media afterwards don't really reflect on it and they dont get the heat.

It will be the same this week as everyone in Sydney's focus will be on NRL GF week.

There won't be much spoken about the Swans.
I think that's a really good point about coverage in Sydney.

But I consume a lot of Victorian/ general AFL media and think they don't get the scrutiny they deserve. It'll probably come now but I was surprised the GF loss to Geelong was papered over after they also failed to turn up in 2014.

Not sure why but think it's something to do with the self fulfilling Bloods Culture and media power brokers both respecting and being terrified of Longmire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone remember squiggle with the tracker that tracks a clubs overall defence and offence .
I remember looking at squiggle once and noticed that clubs that have historically been stronger defensively than offensively namely Sydney, Collingwood and Saint Kilda have lost three times as many grand finals as they have won more or less.
That's just an observation I thought was interesting. In 1991 Hawthorn beat the more favoured Eagles in a grand final because Hawthorn had a more stacked forward line and the Eagles coach put too much emphasis on defence against the Hawthorn forwards rather than just fighting fire with fire imo.

Last edited:
Yeah, to be fair to the Pies, they tend to drag themselves into Grand Finals that they have no business being in.

They at least bring a contest pretty regularly, and have been unlucky enough to run into some super sides over the journey.

Sydney on the other hand have gone in as the minor premiers in 3 of the last 4 GFs, and been flogged in three of them.

It's one thing to sneak in when you're not really good enough and fall short, it's another to barnstorm your way in and not show up.
2002 and 2003 a good example, having a look at both teams GF lists and amazed we even got there with players such as tristan walker, matthew lokan and ben kinnear in the starting side. The Lions team were a juggernaut

Easy to blame Longmire, but Dunkley beating 3 Swans in a contest he shouldn’t even have been in, suggests the players are a problem.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney's record in grand finals needs scrutinising

Remove this Banner Ad

Back