Tac Cup 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking forward to some strong lineups in the Champs at Visy today, will be good to see who stands up from the weaker sides against the obviously much stronger Vic ones. Really have loved the way Michael Gibbons has gone about it this year and while he's on the short side, you can't question his work ethic and leadership.

I went to Box Hill oval this morning to have a look at the Ranges Vs the Jets, obviously Ranges had a number of players out due to Vic Metro commitments and to injury, the Jets also had a couple out that played yesterday. Both sides also had there Private school boys available.

A 100 point win to the Jets was unbelievable and their quality of play outstanding, the 3 top age boys played well, with McKenzie and Iaccarino continuing terrific seasons and amongst the dozen bottom age boys there is some fantastic talent. A lot to look forward to later this year and especially next year. All the younger players will be on the recruiters radar next year however Duggan is an absolute gun.

Magnificent looking double header at Box Hill tomorrow. Top three sides all playing, plus Sandy with all their private schoolboys in the side (say what you like about the effect school holidays have on BF posting standards, but they certainly improve the TAC Cup...). No Boyd of course, but still some real talent on display...

Much better day at the footy than I was expecting - I've been to some dismal slogs at Box Hill on wet days in the past, but today there was two tense and hard-fought - if not always pretty - games. Ground seemed in ok condition except for a mudpit in the middle, and as the day wore on and the wind picked up a bit, it seemed to dry some of the moisture up a bit, so blokes were able to handle the ball ok.

Sandy vs Eastern - well, I expected Sandy to win this comfortably given Boyd is out and they had their full private-schoolboys-included midfield to pick from. But the conditions were a handy leveler, and while Freeman is listed as having played I didn't see him all game, so maybe he went off early? (I got there early in the 2nd) Or maybe I'm just blind and/or demented. Anyway, Sandy had the edge in class and managed to stay a couple of goals up for most of the game without breaking away, but late in the 3rd Honeychurch had a purple patch and kicked a couple, and then early in the 4th Eastern's talls got on top and their mids were running the ball down the wing kamikaze-style and suddenly the ranges were up by 11 points, and it turned very serious indeed. Salem in particular turned it up a notch and the ball spent most of the latter part of the qtr locked in Sandy's fwd line with the Dragons peppering the goals, and Salem finally put Sandy 1 point up with seconds to go with a hurried round-the-corner snap from an insane crush about 15 out.

Salem probably best-on, just did a power of work, not all of which will show on the stats sheet, at the bottom of pack after pack after pack. Stepped up to the plate magnificently. He's aggressive enough, but isn't a natural wet-weather footballer for mine, but he gut stuck in with a will. I like the speed and creativity of his decisionmaking, he always looks dangerous when the ball's in hand (or nearby, he does like the little taps to advantage too)

Not really Kelly's sort of match - he's very much your outside, precision-delivery type, but he wasn't able to show that to best advantage very often. Very damaging with disposal as usual, one pass threading the needle of two converging defenders to hit Hayes on a full-tile lead was breathtaking.

Sean McLaren showed a bit in flashes I thought, big 197cm underaged ruckman type. Just liked his marking, and his mobility around the ground. One to watch.

Max Hayes always looked horribly dangerous, but at the end of the day probably didn't put the results on the board. Just very sure with his hands, gets into dangerous positions, a really nice mark on the lead. Played real kpf today, rather than the 3rd-tall role he'd be looking at if drafted, and was a constantly menacing presence - just missed too many shots on goal - damn near lost it for his side with his goalkicking late in the 4th, before Salem came through.

Merrett I tried to look out for, and he did a bit of linkup work and defensive running through the middle and into the fwd line, but again, not a day that suited his style, and I thought he was fairly unobtrusive. However, the TAC site disagrees with me and named him in the best.

For Eastern, i really loved the work of Belo and Welsh down back, they were up against some good opposition in Legrice and Hayes, and a midfield that was on the receiving end mroe often than not, but they really held it together back there and were a big reason why the Ranges were in striking distance later in the game. I'm covering them together because they were so similar, both attacking medium defender types (high 180cm range)who weren't afraid to leave their man and run at the footy, who played consummate wet weather football, kept the ball in front of them, used the ball well once they got it, and were rarely beaten (except when Hayes got perfect delivery). Neither had spectacular dominant matches, but they were right up there with most influential.

Keedle is one I've been talking up for a while, but I thought he was really good again (though once again, the official bests disagree with me). He's a slim waify sort, and again, much more of a smooth tricksy dry-weather footballer, but he was good enough today to play dry-weather football a lot of the time. Very smart, good vision, and has a lot of time in traffic, was instrumental in the Ranges comeback. Can drift in and out of it at times, but today was one of his better ones.

Petracca started deep forward and Ranges seemed to be trying to play him as a mini-Boyd, which - even though his contested marking is ok for a bloke his size - he just ain't. Got a lot of high balls coming in to him, which did him no favours. He's a strong kid, contested hard, and put in his trademark second/third/etc efforts, and ended up with a couple, but I can't help but feel he'd have been handier in the guts on a day like today (assuming he's got the engine of course)

Cavarra buzzed around and did a lot of running, was able to break lines with pace a couple of times. Kicking let him down a bit though.

O'Sullivan is another personal smokey favorite of mine who nobody else seems to talk about. He was used a bit in the ruck today, which isn't really his thing, but I reckon he could be a handy roaming CHF once he unskinnies a bit. Very mobile, good height, nice knack of taking contested fingertippers, and doesn't lose his head when tackled or when the ball is on the ground. Bit to work with here.

Gippsland vs Geelong was a structural battle as much as anything. Low-scoring arm wrestle, Gippsland with the dominant midfield but questionable forward line leaving them lacking in firepower, Geelong with an absolute fortress of quality defenders down back but not often getting it past half-forward. And Geelong won the chocolates, Gippy absolutely bombarded the goals at the Whitehorse Rd end in the 3rd quarter for three-fifths of bugger-all as their reward, but Geelong made it count from limited opportunities when they had that end in the final qtr, kicking away to a (probably flattering) 4 goal win.

McCartin carried on his good champs form with some excellent work up fwd for geelong early, and in the ruck later on. Good mark, mobile, quick on the lead.

Fraser Fort and Darcy Gardiner were absolutely impassable down back, and were the reason that the falcons won it in my book. Worked together (and with the other Geelong talls when they dropped back) really well, sandwiched Josh Scott continually and didn't let him get a sniff, and played the percentages and the system in a very cool, professional manner. Gardiner probably the more natural footballer and his disposal is superior, Fort has better size and (I think) athleticism.

Lewis Taylor worked hard - he's got such a low centre of gravity and turns so quickly, is amazingly hard to tackle. His disposal is good, but I think he often handicaps himself in that department by trying to take on one too many blokes, or squeeze through a gap that isn't really there, or run past looking for the handball when someone's on his hammer, and forces himself to kick under pressure which limits his hurt factor. You love to see a kid take the game on, but he needs to look for the first option a bit more often I reckon.

Aaron Christiansen (brother of...) isn't what i can honestly call a reliable path to goal, but he did just keep finding himself in positions to kick them, via smart crumbing or losing his direct opponent in the forward traffic. Handy game, for a skinny small to kick 3 in such a low-scoring high-pressure match from limited opportunity. Mind you, he's so thin I'm not actually sure what is connecting his hands to his shoulders - he doesn't seem to have any visible arms - and he disappears when he turns side-on, but he's got some talent, some slipperiness, and some goal sense.

For Gippsland, well, i'm staggered not to see Lukas Webb on the bests list because in my book he was by far the best player on the ground. Incredibly clean hands off the ground or going for the mark, on a day when there was plenty of pressure and plenty of fumbling. Not quick, but had a bit of time, accumulated a mountain of it, cut off Falcons attacks through the middle, and used the ball safely and well (though without monstrous hurt factor, it has to be said). Maybe he didn't do the 'gameplan' thing, I dunno.

Hildebrand was also really good, solid, stocky kid who loved the conditions but who wasn't disgraced on then outside either. Quality player. So was Carr, who was very prominent early and maybe a little less so later in the game. Muir pretty useful too. the Power midfield unit in general was comfortably superior to the Falcons, as i saw it.

Leslie was ok in patches in the ruck, pushed back really well to help out his defenders, but even though he was often able to take good marks when pushing forward, he didn't manage to capitalise on them on the scoreboard (even when he handed it off, the mid running past missed the shot). I like his mobility and his work around the ground, I'm a bit less sold on his disposal by foot, pace off the mark, and his leap. Thomas didn't play for some reason - he would have been handy to stretch the Geelong defence. Cashman and Kearns weren't there either - Gippy were missing a few.

Anyway, one big bonus to Box Hill games - was able to duck out between games for some Szechuan noodle soup from a place I know on Station Street. Yes. Oh yes. Reckon I've eaten my last kiosk snag, this was nectar from the chilli gods on a cold afternoon, even though once i got back to the game and started to chow down, people looked at me and my chopsticks funny...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Horrible breeze here today at Warrawee Park Oval.

Yes the wind helped make it a scrappy game. However the Chargers were poor, their handball to kick ratio was shocking, weren't prepared to give their forwards a chance by kicking the ball with any length. I know they were missing 3 or 4 players but a couple of their players didn't do their reputation any good at all.

The Jets players seemed to do it very easily and coasted home, Sicily was a class above the Chargers, and certainly the top 5 players on the ground would have been Jets.

Yes the wind helped make it a scrappy game. However the Chargers were poor, their handball to kick ratio was shocking, weren't prepared to give their forwards a chance by kicking the ball with any length. I know they were missing 3 or 4 players but a couple of their players didn't do their reputation any good at all.

The Jets players seemed to do it very easily and coasted home, Sicily was a class above the Chargers, and certainly the top 5 players on the ground would have been Jets.

Luke MacDonald could have helped out :(

On Sicily, he was pretty darn good (unfortunately for Oakleigh) but another that I thought was OK was Jay Kennedy-Harris. Could be a first round pick, I have him locked in for the top 25. He has been the best Charger so far this year.

Luke MacDonald could have helped out :(

On Sicily, he was pretty darn good (unfortunately for Oakleigh) but another that I thought was OK was Jay Kennedy-Harris. Could be a first round pick, I have him locked in for the top 25. He has been the best Charger so far this year.

I watched Kennedy-Harris carefully on Saturday, I thought his first quarter was terrific, his willingness to run and take on opponents was very good. His second quarter where he played upforward was quiet.
After half-time he picked up possessions, however like most of his team mates handballed to team mates in worse positions. I counted at least 3 occassions where he handballed to a team-mate to was forced to handball back to him, he then handballed to another team-mate who handballed back to him and eventually he kicked to a contest. I would have much preferred him to continue his first quarter style of play where he ran and carried. So whilst his total possessions and handball effectiveness looked OK, they didn't result in any scoring opportunity.

Checked the stats today, the Chargers handball to kick ratio was 50-50 and they had over 50 more total possessions than the Jets including 60 more handballs.

I am sure the Chargers coaches will have a good look at the game and the amount of over possessing they did in very windy conditions.

I watched Kennedy-Harris carefully on Saturday, I thought his first quarter was terrific, his willingness to run and take on opponents was very good. His second quarter where he played upforward was quiet.
After half-time he picked up possessions, however like most of his team mates handballed to team mates in worse positions. I counted at least 3 occassions where he handballed to a team-mate to was forced to handball back to him, he then handballed to another team-mate who handballed back to him and eventually he kicked to a contest. I would have much preferred him to continue his first quarter style of play where he ran and carried. So whilst his total possessions and handball effectiveness looked OK, they didn't result in any scoring opportunity.

Checked the stats today, the Chargers handball to kick ratio was 50-50 and they had over 50 more total possessions than the Jets including 60 more handballs.

I am sure the Chargers coaches will have a good look at the game and the amount of over possessing they did in very windy conditions.
On Jay, that'll happen with the endurance issues. Massive hole in his game in this department.

Other than Sicily which jets players impressed you guys? Seems like not many of them are getting much attention compared to a lot of their counterparts.

The Jets have certainly flown under the radar in terms of draft discussion, not sure if it is because more than half the side each week is bottom age and a number of those players do provide the brilliance.

However it wouldn't surprise to see 2 or 3 Jets players picked up late in the draft or as rookies.

David Iaccarino is playing as an overage player, in reality he is only 2 weeks older than Sicily, tough, high possession gatherer, with the ability to finish. Left foot kicker which is also a bonus, you only have to look at his highlight package from his VFL game this year with Williamstown to see what he brings to the table. I would be surprised if he is not given a chance.

Others who have played well are Jake Greiser who did reasonably well in the Nationals, again very hard working player, who just needs a little polish on his kicking, nothing wrong with his ball drop so it is more just the execution.

Jason Robinson has been terrific across the half back line this year, very good size, strong mark and a thumping left foot kick. Jake McKenzie, brother of Trent, had a very good National last year and was stiff not to get at least a rookie position, continues to play well, has been slightly disadvantaged due to a couple of injuries this year.

Look out next year though, suspect a very high number of Jets will be on the radar.

The Jets have certainly flown under the radar in terms of draft discussion, not sure if it is because more than half the side each week is bottom age and a number of those players do provide the brilliance.

However it wouldn't surprise to see 2 or 3 Jets players picked up late in the draft or as rookies.

David Iaccarino is playing as an overage player, in reality he is only 2 weeks older than Sicily, tough, high possession gatherer, with the ability to finish. Left foot kicker which is also a bonus, you only have to look at his highlight package from his VFL game this year with Williamstown to see what he brings to the table. I would be surprised if he is not given a chance.

Others who have played well are Jake Greiser who did reasonably well in the Nationals, again very hard working player, who just needs a little polish on his kicking, nothing wrong with his ball drop so it is more just the execution.

Jason Robinson has been terrific across the half back line this year, very good size, strong mark and a thumping left foot kick. Jake McKenzie, brother of Trent, had a very good National last year and was stiff not to get at least a rookie position, continues to play well, has been slightly disadvantaged due to a couple of injuries this year.

Look out next year though, suspect a very high number of Jets will be on the radar.

Usually I get to 4-5 jets games every year but this year I've only managed the two. Have heard a lot about Iccarino and Mckenzie and would be surprised if they aren't given an opportunity as rookies. From the most recent game I seen the two that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere are Harrison King And Brett Bewley both of which have a number of solid attributes which should see them come into draft calculations later on in the piece.

Have to agree about their under agers though, there are some bloody good solid footballers among that bunch.

Usually I get to 4-5 jets games every year but this year I've only managed the two. Have heard a lot about Iccarino and Mckenzie and would be surprised if they aren't given an opportunity as rookies. From the most recent game I seen the two that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere are Harrison King And Brett Bewley both of which have a number of solid attributes which should see them come into draft calculations later on in the piece.

Have to agree about their under agers though, there are some bloody good solid footballers among that bunch.

King is an excellent mark who played early in the season as the focal forward, did some good things during games without dominating. Moved back in the second half of the year and played better. Unfortunately copped a bad knock against Ballarat.

Bewley was killing it pre-season then copped an injury which kept him out for a number of weeks. Came back and the first month looked underdone. His last 4 weeks have been terrific. If passed over this year he could be an excellent chance as an overage player next year.

King is an excellent mark who played early in the season as the focal forward, did some good things during games without dominating. Moved back in the second half of the year and played better. Unfortunately copped a bad knock against Ballarat.

Bewley was killing it pre-season then copped an injury which kept him out for a number of weeks. Came back and the first month looked underdone. His last 4 weeks have been terrific. If passed over this year he could be an excellent chance as an overage player next year.

I know of Harrison because I played against his older brother. When I saw him play he
Played back and he just looked like a natural defender. Reads the play well and backs himself to take intercept marks. Really like that about his game.

Bewley is just a workhorse. Good balance between inside and out. Not afraid to put his head over the footy,
Very strong, solid skills. Hopefully he gets some continuity in his game because he is the right size to make it as a mid in the big league.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tac Cup 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Back