tackling technique

Remove this Banner Ad

it seems over the last 6 weeks that players are grabing arm and pulling it, or chicken winging it in a tackle

this way the player cant handball, and hopefully they drop the ball

there is going to be a huge increase in shoulder injuries
both sides were doing it today, didnt look great

I noticed Joel doing it a bit early, a few were almost chicken wing like. There was one particular one in the first quarter at a stoppage that didn't look great, he grabbed the arm again and looked straight at the umpire appealing for a holding the ball. Had there been a bit more effort put into it, Joel may have had a question to answer this week again.

In saying this, gee our tackling pressure was good early.

It's no doubt a response to the dropping of the knees and ducking... grab a blokes arm and he can't get rid of it or slide the tackle up over his head.

I agree it's not a great look, so no doubt 1 person will actually get hurt and the whole AFL will overreact and the rules will be changed

it seems over the last 6 weeks that players are grabing arm and pulling it, or chicken winging it in a tackle

Yep. Agreed. Have seen a few arms pulled back past what would be a comfortable point and mentioned it -I think- when Selwood got pinged recently. Could turn nasty but the AFL will wait for the injury report to be published at the end of 2017 before stepping in and banning the technique.

Yep. Agreed. Have seen a few arms pulled back past what would be a comfortable point and mentioned it -I think- when Selwood got pinged recently. Could turn nasty but the AFL will wait for the injury report to be published at the end of 2017 before stepping in and banning the technique.

Cyril Rioli does a similar thing but somehow seems to hogtie the guy with the ball so there is no risk of injury.

noticed the same thing in the game, pulling the arm back rather than wrapping it round a la Rioli, so thanks Mahlepi for the thread.

Also - felt a couple of Steve Johnson's tackles just were not sticking, or am I being too harsh?

One of the most sensible comments on the tackling issue came from Alex Rance a few weeks ago which, because it wasn't controversial, got very little wider media coverage. It was on774.

It related more to the swing tackle but it's relevant here. Rance said players make a choice when they tackle. They can choose to tackle within the rules which is to wrap-up an opposition player, drop the knees and drag him to the ground. Or choose illegal tackles such as a swing tackle of the one you mention. Claiming there was no choice was nonsense in Rance's view.

One of the more thoughtful interviews from a player who expressed himself very well.

One of the most sensible comments on the tackling issue came from Alex Rance a few weeks ago which, because it wasn't controversial, got very little wider media coverage. It was on774.

It related more to the swing tackle but it's relevant here. Rance said players make a choice when they tackle. They can choose to tackle within the rules which is to wrap-up an opposition player, drop the knees and drag him to the ground. Or choose illegal tackles such as a swing tackle of the one you mention. Claiming there was no choice was nonsense in Rance's view.

One of the more thoughtful interviews from a player who expressed himself very well.
I heard that too AM and had the same reaction.

I'm not sure if I like the dropping the knees any more than the "swing tackle" or the "pin the arm"- Kelly got an injury from someone dropping his knees into the back of Kelly's leg and I've seen that technique look nasty at times. If the tackler comes in on an unusual angle and drops the knees into his opponent's leg, I can see ACL, PCL, etc injuries becoming more frequent.

Maybe they're doing the one that gets the best result: a free kick?

the injury to parker is a direct result of the afl failing to address the tackling technique issue, players are pinned and rolled to the ground to immobilise them

however there is no concern for where their legs are in the process

too many players will have leg injuries because of this

the injury to parker is a direct result of the afl failing to address the tackling technique issue, players are pinned and rolled to the ground to immobilise them

There will be a new rule come out if these shit techniques that have developed recently. The tripping of an opponent and and the twisting of his legs is highly dangerous and tonight we saw the result of something that IMO could've been prevented if the AFL had stepped in earlier and outlawed the technique.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think tackling has further evolved from grabbing arms to wrapping legs around as part of tackle to further reduce ability to dispose of ball. There have been a few this year like parker where legs of tackler trap player with balls lower leg while twisting the body causing stress on ankles and knees. I don't have a solution but have noticed the technique and result.

I'm not sure if I like the dropping the knees any more than the "swing tackle" or the "pin the arm"- Kelly got an injury from someone dropping his knees into the back of Kelly's leg and I've seen that technique look nasty at times. If the tackler comes in on an unusual angle and drops the knees into his opponent's leg, I can see ACL, PCL, etc injuries becoming more frequent.
I guess broken legs come under the "etc" in my earlier post. Had not thought that deeply about the consequences but I guess it was inevitable.

I think tackling has further evolved from grabbing arms to wrapping legs around as part of tackle to further reduce ability to dispose of ball. There have been a few this year like parker where legs of tackler trap player with balls lower leg while twisting the body causing stress on ankles and knees. I don't have a solution but have noticed the technique and result.
kelly was injured in a similar incident

That part of the technique looks like it's meant to bring the player to ground. It's a bit hard to focus on getting rid of the ball when you're trying to keep your balance.

The more the AFL change the rules, the more the techniques will develop to get around the changes. I don't have a solution either but I just hope our game doesn't evolve into a different version of touch rugby. :(

Remove this Banner Ad

tackling technique

Remove this Banner Ad

Back