Skills Tackling

Remove this Banner Ad

kreuze control

Team Captain
Mar 28, 2008
Strathmore
AFL Club
Carlton
this is the one area of my game that really lets me down. i'm fine tackling someone from behind but far too often, players run around me and shrug off my tackles and also in close i am not a good tackler either. it's weird because the best part of my game is my own evasiveness and agility, i'm very quick and change direction and shrug off tacklers well so it's not as if other players break my tackles easily because they are more agile than me.

i've been told to focus on the hips of the player and found this helped a bit but i still struggle. i know it's more of a will thing than a strength thing and i am not a strong person physically but there are many players smaller than me who tackle much better than me.

any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I was going to say look at the players hips, and it really helps, you kinda see where they're moving before they do...

once youve got contact hold on as hard as possible and onto anythin u can then once u can do that start worrying about if youre pushing them in the back or not

strength can play a part in tackling but only players bigger then you, you still should be able to take blokes down the same size but it's 90% will and wanting to tackle them

don't be flat footed, you need to be on the move and stay strong through the entire body

a little secret is to try and get a hold of the the jumper where the band wraps around the arms and shoulders...you know what i mean?

strength can play a part in tackling but only players bigger then you, you still should be able to take blokes down the same size but it's 90% will and wanting to tackle them

don't be flat footed, you need to be on the move and stay strong through the entire body

a little secret is to try and get a hold of the the jumper where the band wraps around the arms and shoulders...you know what i mean?

Yeah getting your fingers in the "arm hole" of the jumper is great. Especially if you're tackling from behind as you can drag them straight down easily and not push them in the back. But you have to be careful not to get them high.

A good trick I was taught is when you go in for the tackle, try and get your chest on them as well as it means you are using the strongest part of your arms to tackle rather then trying to grab them as they run past. Obviously the best way to achieve this is by watching their hips

I think there is a difference between being a strong tackler and am effective tackler. When tackling a player, i like to try and grab a wrist or fore arm to really affect there ability to dispose of the ball essentially pinning one arm.

Stay low and use strength from your legs and core, try to avoid tackling with just your arms, i.e. if you try and tackle a player by throwing out you arms only, it is a lot easier to brush the tackle. If you use your body strength to stop him, then it makes it a lot harder to get past.

maybe do some situps, crunches and planks to work on ur core? If u got a strong core itll give u the start off for putting a good tackle (not to mention evading them i.e. Gary Ablett).

Always watch the player, be on the move and remember its 90% will and 10% skill/ strength.

Tackling is almost all mental. If you can't tackle its likely because your afraid of really putting your body on the line.

Change your mentality and you should be fine. Set yourself a goal of say, 5 tackles this weekend whenever you play. If you make it a focus, your output should improve

Watch the hips but make sure you dont look at their feet. Be on the move and dont be stagnant, 'tread-water' if you have to similar to tennis and cricket players. And mentally just get angry and tell yourself "this ba***** is not going to get around me!"

Depends on the angle for this. If you running at someone then you should break down to tackle them, running at them full throttle just makes it easier for them to run past.

Tackling is all angles. Shutting down and closing angles are the key. You need to firstly limit where a player can go, if you run head on they can go left or right, close down an option, force them to go right or backwards for example by closing off their left. Then it is just about judging speed and taking the right angle to get to them and then it is will, just grab hold, if you get the chance, "break down" into an almost squat like stance to better explode through the player you are tackling.

A key thing to remember is that you don't need to take a player down in AFL tackling, just tie them up or hold on. Tackling is 95% mental, if you take a good angle and you want to tackle you will generally make the tackle, occasionally someone will just shake you, it happens to everyone, but if you prepare mentally for a tackle you can make it. Bloodlust is both a positive and a negative.

Always remember though, the worst thing you can do when tackling is overcommit. If you do that you are beaten, you become the ball handlers puppet and he can move you as he pleases.

In close tackling is different to when a player is running. There is far more technique involved and less angles, practice wrapping up a player though, as in get both arms around them, you ideally want to be able to touch your hands behind their back and if possible get an arm pinned in there. Again though, willingness to get in there is the key.

Remove this Banner Ad

Skills Tackling

Remove this Banner Ad

Back