Tadhg Kennelly Gone!

Remove this Banner Ad

hes pretty damn lucky aswell
having his off season operations paid for to fix the shoulder and groin
will be ready to go back to footy over there but wasnt fit enough to see out less than 7 months over here...im a little peeded off right now

I personally think what Fosdike and Kennelly have done to the club is pretty poor.

They are more than aware of the system and the club are now 2 players down numbers wise for the year and could have recruited another good player or two.

The club has paid them thier contracts in good faith for many years and to walk after the draft is ordinary.

Both great servants of the club, but they were well paid to play a sport they love and should've had more respect for the club and pulled the pin prior to the Draft.

Just my opinion !

In Fosdike's case if he'd retired before the Draft his 2009 salary would have been counted in our 2008 total player payments, pushing us over the cap.

As for Tadhg, I'm a little disappointed he didn't come to this decision earlier, as really there was not a lot left for him to achieve with the Swans in '09 while we're in a rebuilding phase. Yes, it leaves us a player down but it will still give another player on our list an opportunity that he may not otherwise have had. Time to move on!

Besides, I'm sure there must have been a LOT of pressure on him to come back when he went home for Christmas. I don't really think the homesickness would have been much of a factor after so many years away, more so worrying about how his body would stand up. It's a punishing game physically, much more than Gaelic footy.

hes pretty damn lucky aswell
having his off season operations paid for to fix the shoulder and groin
will be ready to go back to footy over there but wasnt fit enough to see out less than 7 months over here...im a little peeded off right now

He got those injuries playing for the Swans which means even if he retired in October the Swans are legally required to pay for his surgery.

sad to see him leave thought he was a great character of the game .

will never forget seeing him try and put his shoulder back in right in front of where i was sitting last year that would have hurt like anything and he still tried getting the ball with his shoulder still out . ouch !

best wishes to him in he Irish footy career !:thumbsu:

I'm personally furious not just at Kennelly but at the club. For weeks now we've had random newspapers in Ireland reporting on stuff that was completely denied by the Swans. That those tossers over in Ireland were being kept in the loop and we were being lied to is down right wrong and exteremely bad form by the club and Kennelly.

Now we're two players down - I don't see how a retirement has ever caused salary cap concerns before so Fossie should have done it last year - because two blokes made hard decisions. Fossie I could understand, but Tiger was saying he was looking great for the coming year.

Hi just a thought guys,if a club cancelled a contract on a player they would surely have to pay out the agreed salary etc but what compensation does a player who breaks his contract have to give to the club? As previously mentioned you guys could have used another pick in the draft had you known. Aside from that I wish him all the best in Kerry and we will miss him in AFL. Hope he gets his dream of an all Ireland final.

I'm personally furious not just at Kennelly but at the club. For weeks now we've had random newspapers in Ireland reporting on stuff that was completely denied by the Swans. That those tossers over in Ireland were being kept in the loop and we were being lied to is down right wrong and exteremely bad form by the club and Kennelly.

Now we're two players down - I don't see how a retirement has ever caused salary cap concerns before so Fossie should have done it last year - because two blokes made hard decisions. Fossie I could understand, but Tiger was saying he was looking great for the coming year.
that part of this is the sad part rumors going about people denying them when in the end it was true
:(

My favourite Irish player. Sad to see him go but completely understand his motive.
heard his reason too and understand too still sad that people were told that he was staying when he was not , maybe he was thinking about it and when his shoulder went out in the hawks match he may have thought more on leaving instead of staying so he could honor his dad by trying to become a great Irish player over there which i do hope for that he does

He was always going to leave. It was a matter of when, so I did half expect him to go when those reports were surfacing. His skills for the round ball are silky smooth. I'm sure he'll end up with an All Ireland medal.

Thanks TADGH :thumbsu:....for the massive effort and memories.

Me thinks that off season operation was of doubtful success?. One of the most painful injuries possible was seemingly so bad /loose ...it seemed to eclipse pain.:confused:

Very unlucky consistent injury periods denied him a a chance at club B&F (Championship)... but IS / WAS a champion... ANYWAY!

Good luck and ....GO ....County KERRY!
Unbackable odds tomorrow I would expect?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kennelly can retire when ever he likes, but it should be the same as Basketball.
If you retire you cannot play that sport unless you go back to your old contract.

Luc Longley was a victim of this he wanted to return to Australia, but Phoenix i beleive it was didn't want to release him from his contract so he retired, but was not allowed to play in Australia because of this.

Kennelly should be able to leave but not to play another sport, he should have to sit out his contract first. Or Kerry should have to pay Sydney out, because they are losing a star.

I hope the AFL allows them to draft another rookie or some form of compensation

you don't get it do ya - he's not leaving the SWANS for a multimillion euro deal!! He is leaving to play an AMATEUR game in which his Father and Brother excelled. He will not be paid to play for Kerry - the most he can expect to get is a few cents for mileage expenses ! Tadhg will come home (to an increasingly economically crippled Ireland) and will have to try and find a job of some sort.. Work 9 to 5 in the Job and then travel (maybe a few hours) to training with the Kerry team. Finish training.. travel home and get up for work the next morning!

So if you think Kerry are going to pay the Swans it just shows how bloody ignorant you are to the whole situation!!! Do some homework before you make a comment like that again !

you don't get it do ya - he's not leaving the SWANS for a multimillion euro deal!! He is leaving to play an AMATEUR game in which his Father and Brother excelled. He will not be paid to play for Kerry - the most he can expect to get is a few cents for mileage expenses ! Tadhg will come home (to an increasingly economically crippled Ireland) and will have to try and find a job of some sort.. Work 9 to 5 in the Job and then travel (maybe a few hours) to training with the Kerry team. Finish training.. travel home and get up for work the next morning!

So if you think Kerry are going to pay the Swans it just shows how bloody ignorant you are to the whole situation!!! Do some homework before you make a comment like that again !

Actualy, the real reason he is leaving is the 'tatters'

He used to love the baked tatters, the boiled tatters, the jacket tatters, the thick chips and the thin chips at the coogee bay hotel. Sadly, after a recent incident, he did not fancy the HP sauce.

Real shame

Hopefully you are finished because people in the AFL community are going to miss him, a very popular player from all supporters of OUR great game.
He is a superstar player and person, but has let the club and all its fans down by not making his decision in October

Tadgh Kennelly has been one of the great stories of AFL. Paul Roos was right when he said the Stynes and Kennelly have been the best two Irishmen to convert to AFL.

It would fair to say the Swans got a massive return on their investments.

Well done on a great career Tadgh and good luck for the future. :thumbsu:

his loyaltys to Ireland, his family and his sporting heritage are greater than to the swans, simple as that!
fair enuff too, but lets not pretend any different, you gotta admire, that quality in a bloke is good to see and becoming rare these days when its all about the dollar, good luck to him I say, its a family thing and I can understand that, but I still question his timing, but it was never gonna be easy either way, Go Tige, kick arse for Kerry, one arm an all...:thumbsu:!

his loyaltys to Ireland, his family and his sporting heritage are greater than to the swans, simple as that!
fair enuff too, but lets not pretend any different, you gotta admire, that quality in a bloke is good to see and becoming rare these days when its all about the dollar, good luck to him I say, its a family thing and I can understand that, but I still question his timing, but it was never gonna be easy either way, Go Tige, kick arse for Kerry, one arm an all...:thumbsu:!

Great post.

[My thoughts from another thread...]

Right call maybe - I don't begrudge the guy wanting to return home and shoot for an All-Ireland medal - but horrible timing. Unless he has re-injured something over the past few weeks which has considerably changed the outlook on his continued sporting prospects, then there is no reason he couldn't have arrived at this decision earlier and thus allowed the club to draft an extra kid. As it stands he has left the club at a distinct disadvantage, not to mention the gaping hole he'll leave in our team.

If his body wasn't going to hold up to another season of AFL footy then fair enough. But to leave the decision this late is poor form.

Anyway it's all done and dusted. He's been my favourite Swans player for quite some years and I hope he gets that Gaelic championship he so desperately wants. Guess I still have Malceski...

Congratulations on a super career Tadgh. My 6 year old has worn the #17 on his Swans jumper from day one - and what a wise choice that proved to be! And thankyou for signing it for him.

The Swans undoubtedly made a considerable investment back in 1999 and your output and return has been more than vindicated. Well done, thanks again and good luck to Kerry.

P.S You've been an absolute beauty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tadhg Kennelly Gone!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back