Neville Bartos

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2004
Perth, WA
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Doc Rivers' LA Clippers
On this magnificent forum where intellects match wits, exchange brilliant thoughts and challenge one's mind, there are often times when the number of premierships are brought forward as an effective weapon of argument.

For example, "Essendon 16, Hawthorn 9" or "St Kilda haven't won a premiership since the Beatles were popular" and so on.

Another trend is the discrediting of premiership due to salary cap rorting, draft concessions, players drug use, father son rule and so on.
From what I've gathered these are some of the reason why the last bunch of premiers shouldn't have won the premiership

2007: Geelong - Half the team was drafted as Father/Sons
2006: West Coast - The team was so coked up that they were Supermen
2005: Sydney - A gift from the AFL
2004: Port Adelaide - Brisbane felt sorry for them after choking so often
2003: Brisbane - Salary cap and draft concessions
2002: Brisbane - Salary cap and draft concessions
2001: Brisbane - Salary cap and draft concessions
2000: Essendon - Salary cap cheats in 93, so must have cheated in 00
1999: North Melbourne - Wayne Carey threatened to beat all the Carlton players' wives.

and so on and so on.

Personally I think it's pretty pathetic, but what excuses can you see being dished up next year if Geelong, Hawthorn, W Bulldogs, Sydney, Adelaide or St Kilda win the premiership?

Sydney had salary cap concessions as well as the Hall gift. You can discount any SA or WA premiership by saying they hid the talented youngsters from interstate scouts. Old premierships were all due to the unfair zoning system.

Personally I think it's pretty pathetic, but what excuses can you see being dished up next year if Geelong, Hawthorn, W Bulldogs, Sydney, Adelaide or St Kilda win the premiership?

You know as well as I that the bolded part is your real question, and I suspect you also know the answer:

How can any of us respect a team that deliberately lost less than 5 games in order to get a priority pick.

Without that terrible rule that required clubs to be pathetic to exploit it, you wouldn't have Buddy.

It is simple.

If you ever get there.....TAINTED.

You know as well as I that the bolded part is your real question, and I suspect you also know the answer:

How can any of us respect a team that deliberately lost less than 5 games in order to get a priority pick.

Without that terrible rule that required clubs to be pathetic to exploit it, you wouldn't have Buddy.

It is simple.

If you ever get there.....TAINTED.

Norf fans fear Buddy, fear us, keep losing, the skies are blue (not just in Goldie) :p

Hasn't worked out for you yet.

By saying this, are you actually insisting that Geelong's 07 flag is tainted for some reason?

Of course it isn't.
Geelong never pursued a policy of being pathetic for picks.
They have never received a priority pick and they haven't had a bottom three finish since the draft was introduced.

Of course it isn't.
Geelong never pursued a policy of being pathetic for picks.
They have never received a priority pick and they haven't had a bottom three finish since the draft was introduced.

You and I know that Zeb, but I'm not sure about Mccawk. By complaining that Cats fans will say our flag wasn't tainted, it's logical that he believes it is tainted...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My favourite is that "Sydney's premiership is tainted because someone had hold of someone's jumper as Leo Barry took the mark and it should have been a free kick to the Eagles." :eek:

you do know the year we picked up hodgey we finished 4th after finals and narrowly missed out on playing in the Grand Final?

It's not the point though is it.

No-ones considering the facts when labeling Geelong's 2007 Flag tainted, so why should I?

On this magnificent forum where intellects match wits, exchange brilliant thoughts and challenge one's mind, there are often times when the number of premierships are brought forward as an effective weapon of argument.

For example, "Essendon 16, Hawthorn 9" or "St Kilda haven't won a premiership since the Beatles were popular" and so on.

Another trend is the discrediting of premiership due to salary cap rorting, draft concessions, players drug use, father son rule and so on.
From what I've gathered these are some of the reason why the last bunch of premiers shouldn't have won the premiership

1999: North Melbourne - Wayne Carey threatened to beat all the Carlton players' wives.

and so on and so on.

Nice post dumb ass.
Unlike most teams, including your own, Geelong haven't had the luxury of priority draft picks & our highest draft picks have been pick 7. Every club has the opportunity of the father son rule.

My favourite is that "Sydney's premiership is tainted because someone had hold of someone's jumper as Leo Barry took the mark and it should have been a free kick to the Eagles." :eek:

I would have thought the Hall non-suspension would be the sticking point...

But it is hard to say Sydney did anything but earned it considering they won because of a very high quality core and a supporting cast that work their arses off and followed a game plan meticulously.

And look at how they acquired their core:

Barry Hall (best player in the league in 2005) - trade.
Goodes (dual brownlow medallist) - pick 43
Brett Kirk ( Gun, spiritual leader) - rookie
Tadhg Kennelly - Irish experiment - risk
Leo Barry - concession pick

Only Barry was a concession, but he is the least important out of those four.

Sydney earned their flag.

Nice post dumb ass.
Unlike most teams, including your own, Geelong haven't had the luxury of priority draft picks & our highest draft picks have been pick 7. Every club has the opportunity of the father son rule.

You really are a few beers short of a six-pack...

If you actually read the OP, you'd realise that those reasons for previous premierships being tainted were the collective arguments of Bay 13 from the last 6 months. I never said that it was MY opinion.

People appear to be taking this thread seriously, here's a hint: don't.
I would have thought the Hall non-suspension would be the sticking point...
For mine the biggest thing is salary cap concessions. In a closely regulated competition, like the AFL, being able to pay 10 or 20% over the salary cap is a huge advantage. Sydney used this advantage to trade for experienced, quality players like Hall.

and so on and so on.

1999 The Blues players had no problem with Carey's threat to beat there wives up, the problem was what he was threatening them with:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Tainted Premierships

Remove this Banner Ad

Back