Footy Dept. Talent & Operations Manager Matt Rosa

Remove this Banner Ad

Think our build is somewhat on the right track. Our list profile positionally needs a couple of tweaks but I have faith.

Depends if Dodo has his hands still all over the recruiting department.

Rosa has a big job ahead of him...Hopefully Dodo's leave turns permanent.

I know Rosa turned around Peel Thunder, but was it risky to appoint him with no AFL list management experience?

Depends if Dodo has his hands still all over the recruiting department.

Rosa has a big job ahead of him...Hopefully Dodo's leave turns permanent.

I know Rosa turned around Peel Thunder, but was it risky to appoint him with no AFL list management experience?

Appointing any list manager is pretty speculative IMO, unless you've got a long-long term history like Beatson at Sydney, you really don't know. Is it them? Is it their scouts? Is it their development? Is it their head coach?

Rosa is the footy operations guy (read: does the admin for the GM-footy), and also doing the draft stuff so comes in over the top of RFK.

He's picked up the contracting stuff while Dodoro is on leave at the moment.

Remembering that our CEO wants to have his hands all over the list management stuff though, I don't think Rosa gets the last say on that even with Dodoro out of the way.

Rosa is the footy operations guy (read: does the admin for the GM-footy), and also doing the draft stuff so comes in over the top of RFK.

He's picked up the contracting stuff while Dodoro is on leave at the moment.

Remembering that our CEO wants to have his hands all over the list management stuff though, I don't think Rosa gets the last say on that even with Dodoro out of the way.

So what does RFK do? Just talent identification? And then pass on his knowledge/suggestions, and the final call is Rosa’s to make?

Google says he's a scout (that means he goes to games personally) and also supporting Rosa

Interesting. Seems like they all ‘report’ to Rosa, which I like. Wonder if either of them have any WA tricks up there sleeve this year, a la Bassett with Fantasia.

Interesting. Seems like they all ‘report’ to Rosa, which I like. Wonder if either of them have any WA tricks up there sleeve this year, a la Bassett with Fantasia.
yeah everyone in recruiting except Dodoro, it seems.

And then Rosa reports to Dan McPherson as GM Mens footy.

Dodoro, Scott and McPherson report to the CEO.

I think...?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If El Hawli is a sign of things to come then it is positive. EFC looking for more guys who can kick, tackle, take a mark, have anticipation, natural goal sense, commit their body and have a bit of footy intelligence.

If El Hawli is a sign of things to come then it is positive. EFC looking for more guys who can kick, tackle, take a mark, have anticipation, natural goal sense, commit their body and have a bit of footy intelligence.
Agree.
Will be interesting to see if El Hawli gets contracted for 2025. Surely in his brief appearances he showed enough to not be playing for his spot on the list in the last few rounds (just back from injury).

Agree.
Will be interesting to see if El Hawli gets contracted for 2025. Surely in his brief appearances he showed enough to not be playing for his spot on the list in the last few rounds (just back from injury).
He even seemed to be limping a bit at stages on the weekend and I think that is normal - I remember Guthrie said it took him a while before he felt completely comfortable again even with kicking after copping the same injury. It will tell us a lot if they get rid of a guy like him and I admit to being a bit nervous what they will do. He will be close to a ready made senior player after a proper pre season and his age.

He even seemed to be limping a bit at stages on the weekend and I think that is normal - I remember Guthrie said it took him a while before he felt completely comfortable again even with kicking after copping the same injury. It will tell us a lot if they get rid of a guy like him and I admit to being a bit nervous what they will do. He will be close to a ready made senior player after a proper pre season and his age.

I don't think we'll necessarily have massive list churn or take a heap of picks at the draft unless we're trading some bigger names out (e.g. Stringer, Shiel, Parish etc..).

Heppell obviously out.

Unfortunately for Hunter I think he'll be gone, not sure which but can't see all of Weideman, Setterfield and Baldwin staying on the list.

Goldstein may or may not go on for another year. Draper is unlikely to play a full season so we'd need to be very confident that Bryan can be a genuine AFL ruckmen and rely on Wright as our backup, or still replace that spot with a ruck option.

Kako to come in. I think they'll be hoping to get a pick in before Kako to make it 2 x players inside the first round (or so, depending where the Kako bid comes). I could see Jayden Davey getting a rookie downgrade.

I think El-Hawli stays, showed enough in his couple of games that he's probably physically more able to make an impact than Menzie as a forward.

Club still working on securing Goldy, Lav, Package and Kelly for the next 5 years, so we’ll have to wait a bit. Think Hepp took our list management team by surprise when he retired though, they were probably working on another 2-3 contract that they can scrap now

Club still working on securing Goldy, Lav, Package and Kelly for the next 5 years, so we’ll have to wait a bit. Think Hepp took our list management team by surprise when he retired though, they were probably working on another 2-3 contract that they can scrap now

Rosa still learning the art of the Dodoro coffee shop approach to contracts

Italian Kid GIF by Gogglebox Australia

Caddy good.
El Hawli likely good.
DAmbrosio bad.

Kako good, but probably doesn't count.
Bit harsh to hang D'Ambrosio on Rosa . He started in September 2023 (19th). I doubt he had much input into a player we only offered a 1 year deal and was gone in October.

Remove this Banner Ad

Footy Dept. Talent & Operations Manager Matt Rosa