Footy Dept. Talent & Operations Manager Matt Rosa

Remove this Banner Ad

Even in his worst year for us Wright still kicked nearly double the amount of goals that Draper did. Comparing them (especially if you think Caddy will be getting the #1 defender in the near future, which I agree with) is madness. Wright can kick 30+ as a forward/ruck. Hell, probably 40+. He had a bad year and still averaged 1.3 goals/game.

Peter Wright has kicked 30+ goals in a season once in his career playing mostly as a forward only.

And you think he is going to do it playing in the ruck more and the forward line less?

Peter Wright has kicked 30+ goals in a season once in his career playing mostly as a forward only.

And you think he is going to do it playing in the ruck more and the forward line less?
His 3 full seasons he's kicked 31, 29 and 53, only one of which he wasn't playing second ruck. I don't think saying 30+ goals playing second ruck is that controversial. His average goals/game this year would have gotten him there as well, in his worst performance for us.

His 3 full seasons he's kicked 31, 29 and 53, only one of which he wasn't playing second ruck. I don't think saying 30+ goals playing second ruck is that controversial. His average goals/game this year would have gotten him there as well, in his worst performance for us.
Problem is he was horrible in the ruck this year and pretty ordinary forward. Throw in the fact he is a total defensive livability because he is close to the slowest bloke in the AFL and you have a problem. I am no real fan of Draper but personally I would take what he offered at FF late in the year with Bryan playing first ruck. It is far from perfect but Wright ended the season having little impact in the VFL againt some average VFL defenders.

Problem is he was horrible in the ruck this year and pretty ordinary forward. Throw in the fact he is a total defensive livability because he is close to the slowest bloke in the AFL and you have a problem. I am no real fan of Draper but personally I would take what he offered at FF late in the year with Bryan playing first ruck. It is far from perfect but Wright ended the season having little impact in the VFL againt some average VFL defenders.

2MP breakout season, has given us greater hope for the player he might have been. Just think he is the next Ben Brown. Least Ben Brown did it for a few more years. Would like to be proven wrong but don't think he is up to it.

Wright has absolutely everything he needs to be the man, unfortunately it's going to take one hell of a coaching job to channel him the right way.
I don't think we have the ability to do that and we don't play a game style that will help him and we aren't going to change it.

If we are going to play this slow build up bomb it to his head crap then he's cooked and if we are unable to coach him the right way to channel the aggression he has (it's in there) then you are best getting rid of him and moving on, it would be better for Pete if that's how we are going to play it.

Put him in a good ball use team and he will dominate. The type of ball he would get at the Swans or Hawks would make us rethink how we rate him.

He's one of the best kicks in the league and his 1 wood is on the lead and we play him as a stand there and kick it on his head forward with no small forwards to crumb off his packs.
****ing malpractice.

I'll take mindset that requires coaching to bring out aggression over fundamental inability to play with any form of football IQ in Draper any day.
Mind you if it were me they would both be gone but Pete is my second place over Draper.

He's one of the best kicks in the league and his 1 wood is on the lead and we play him as a stand there and kick it on his head forward with no small forwards to crumb off his packs.
****ing malpractice.
While we kick it on his head a fair bit, he also stands there and waves his arms to get it kicked on his head almost as often as he gets out on the lead.

Last edited:
Wright has absolutely everything he needs to be the man, unfortunately it's going to take one hell of a coaching job to channel him the right way.
I don't think we have the ability to do that and we don't play a game style that will help him and we aren't going to change it.

If we are going to play this slow build up bomb it to his head crap then he's cooked and if we are unable to coach him the right way to channel the aggression he has (it's in there) then you are best getting rid of him and moving on, it would be better for Pete if that's how we are going to play it.

Put him in a good ball use team and he will dominate. The type of ball he would get at the Swans or Hawks would make us rethink how we rate him.

****ing malpractice.

I'll take mindset that requires coaching to bring out aggression over fundamental inability to play with any form of football IQ in Draper any day.
Mind you if it were me they would both be gone but Pete is my second place over Draper.
How many times does he lead and gets run off the line or easily pushed under the footy ?
I know we often dump the footy in high but he drops just as many marks that he should take compared to the ones we just kick to a contest and hope for the best.
His number one wood is being allowed to lead into space or to get a one on one match up that favours him. I say being allowed to lead into space as most defenders have it on him for pace.

How many times does he lead and gets run off the line or easily pushed under the footy ?
I know we often dump the footy in high but he drops just as many marks that he should take compared to the ones we just kick to a contest and hope for the best.
His number one wood is being allowed to lead into space or to get a one on one match up that favours him. I say being allowed to lead into space as most defenders have it on him for pace.

Oh it happens a lot, but his strength like ideally if you were going to say "how do we use this guy?, would be leading and hands out in front. He will never be a stand and hold ground forward, it's not his go, but he can and if used well do the kick to space and lead thing.
In a better ball movement side we get the b&f winning Pete instead of the recent form.

Like I said, I don't think either Draper or Wright are great tbh, but my point is we aren't really playing to Wrights strengths.
If I was going to keep one or the other though I'd probably keep the guy with forward nous and a bit more dependable with a massive weapon in his accurate kicking.
He's a limited player but his limits are known.

My issue with Draper is the chaos of his play, he doesn't know what he's doing half the time and his team mates don't.
It works a little better in the forward line as your that final step in the chain instead of being unpredictable up the field. But I still would like dependable with limits athletically over unknown chaos who can flash occasionally.
This is all predicated on where I think we are of course, ideally you get someone with a bit higher ceiling and actual forward craft.

Oh it happens a lot, but his strength like ideally if you were going to say "how do we use this guy?, would be leading and hands out in front. He will never be a stand and hold ground forward, it's not his go, but he can and if used well do the kick to space and lead thing.
In a better ball movement side we get the b&f winning Pete instead of the recent form.

Like I said, I don't think either Draper or Wright are great tbh, but my point is we aren't really playing to Wrights strengths.
If I was going to keep one or the other though I'd probably keep the guy with forward nous and a bit more dependable with a massive weapon in his accurate kicking.
He's a limited player but his limits are known.

My issue with Draper is the chaos of his play, he doesn't know what he's doing half the time and his team mates don't.
It works a little better in the forward line as your that final step in the chain instead of being unpredictable up the field. But I still would like dependable with limits athletically over unknown chaos who can flash occasionally.
This is all predicated on where I think we are of course, ideally you get someone with a bit higher ceiling and actual forward craft.
I think we agree neither is ideal.
With Draper and the chaos, yes we do not know but neither does the opposition. With Wright the opposition knows his one trick pony act.
It is far from ideal. We have a CHF in Caddy. We now need a FF. Then the rest is most likely a combination of Langford / Perkins and the best small forwards rotating with a midfielder in the rotation.

I think we agree neither is ideal.
With Draper and the chaos, yes we do not know but neither does the opposition. With Wright the opposition knows his one trick pony act.
It is far from ideal. We have a CHF in Caddy. We now need a FF. Then the rest is most likely a combination of Langford / Perkins and the best small forwards rotating with a midfielder in the rotation.

I think short term yes, that's the mix.
Long term, Langford won't be a part of the success

I think short term yes, that's the mix.
Long term, Langford won't be a part of the success
Langford will be okay if can play medium rather than getting the number one KPD which he has had this year. He should give us a decent 4 or 5 more years if someone can play a half decent role at FF.
Vigo has looked promising at FF but he is still maybe 2 seasons away from holding that role.
Maybe they have to get inventive and use Cox as a lead up forward option.
Do not think Jones has it as a forward.Does not take enough marks and has questionable leading patterns at times.
I could cop Wright if he was not such a defensive liability. Everyone runs off him and it happens when he plays ruck a well.
Can not cover his are of defence.

Langford will be okay if can play medium rather than getting the number one KPD which he has had this year. He should give us a decent 4 or 5 more years if someone can play a half decent role at FF.
Vigo has looked promising at FF but he is still maybe 2 seasons away from holding that role.
Do not think Jones has it as a forward.Does not take enough marks and has questionable leading patterns at times.
I could cop Wright if he was not such a defensive liability. Everyone runs off him and it happens when he plays ruck a well.
What do we do with Jones? I initially liked the wing experiment but thought it was a short term plan to get his confidence back, they stuck with it too long and disappointingly when he moved back forward the marking fell away agian.

What do we do with Jones? I initially liked the wing experiment but thought it was a short term plan to get his confidence back, they stuck with it too long and disappointingly when he moved back forward the marking fell away agian.
Try him in defence. Can not be worse than Cox back there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even in his worst year for us Wright still kicked nearly double the amount of goals that Draper did. Comparing them (especially if you think Caddy will be getting the #1 defender in the near future, which I agree with) is madness. Wright can kick 30+ as a forward/ruck. Hell, probably 40+. He had a bad year and still averaged 1.3 goals/game.

The problems with Wright in our forwardline might be more to do with the players around him. He does have some issues with confidence and marking, but those are exacerbated by us playing 2 rucks and probably too many slower medium types. I can't see us dropping Draper or Bryan. Bryan was actually pretty good in the last few games this year, and I doubt they'll want to lose him at the end of next year.

To say Wright is slow is an understatement, he has the turning circle of the Queen Mary. He'd probably fit really well in another forwardline which is better balanced with speed and forward pressure. But that's not us. And we're not likely to drop some of the other players to build a better balance around Wright.

And even when players like Wright and Stringer are kicking goals we're still inconsistent in the forwardline, and we still end up outside the eight at the end of the year. I think we should bite the bullet and let a few more players go that are upsetting our balance in the team, and maybe the club feels the same way with the way they're handling Stringer and Laverde. Maybe if we can get our forward balance better then Wright could be part of a consistently functioning forwardline for us, but I don't know if I can see that happening in the next year or 2.

I would have loved to have seen cox play more forward this year.

I would have loved to have seen cox play more forward this year.

I agree. I thought he might be ok in defence, but he really looked out of place there. He did seem to fit in well the couple times I saw him at FF.

Draper is nowhere near as good a forward as Wright.

You're taking a guy who can bang through goals pretty reliably out to 55 - 60m, and replacing him with one who's less reliable from even 30m.

Draper's physicality is nice to have, and he was impacting a bit more reliably in the air towards the end of the season, but I can't see him being a guy that'll get up around 2 goals a game like Wright can when played as a forward.
Wright can but doesn't.
Draper could but hasn't.

The difference will be when we have better smalls about because Draper actually threatens to mark. On current form I prefer Draper. His end of season form showed a new ceiling IMO.

Wright can but doesn't.
Draper could but hasn't.

The difference will be when we have better smalls about because Draper actually threatens to mark. On current form I prefer Draper. His end of season form showed a new ceiling IMO.

I think both are flawed, Drapers' 'best' probably brings the ground level players (that we don't have) in to the game more. But it also means we're relying on getting entries deep i50 since Draper is a 0-25m from goal kind of player.

Wright expands our scoring range, he can lead up to (and beyond) 50m and is a reliable set shot. He drastically increases the scoring 'zone' we have available. We saw this season how we got bulk i50s and failed to convert, which is what we'd likely continue to see with a Draper at FF setup plus our poor ground level players. We have a relatively easy forward line to defend against.

There was a really good article a few years back on how Taylor Walker's ability to kick set shots from that 50m - 60m zone creates a massive amount of extra 'zone' that opposition defenders have to cover. I had a quick look and can't find it, but from memory it was one of those footy maths websites that analysed it.

I think both are flawed, Drapers' 'best' probably brings the ground level players (that we don't have) in to the game more. But it also means we're relying on getting entries deep i50 since Draper is a 0-25m from goal kind of player.

Wright expands our scoring range, he can lead up to (and beyond) 50m and is a reliable set shot. He drastically increases the scoring 'zone' we have available. We saw this season how we got bulk i50s and failed to convert, which is what we'd likely continue to see with a Draper at FF setup plus our poor ground level players. We have a relatively easy forward line to defend against.

There was a really good article a few years back on how Taylor Walker's ability to kick set shots from that 50m - 60m zone creates a massive amount of extra 'zone' that opposition defenders have to cover. I had a quick look and can't find it, but from memory it was one of those footy maths websites that analysed it.
Good comparison.

I don’t see Draper as a long term solution in the F50. May have been the best tall we had in the back end of 2024 but can’t see him developing to be the main man long term.

Think it is great development for him & hoping the long term aim is number one ruck who can go forward to mix things up. A bit of a chaos card.

Remove this Banner Ad

Footy Dept. Talent & Operations Manager Matt Rosa