Footy Dept. Talent & Operations Manager Matt Rosa

Remove this Banner Ad

Draper would not be the core structure of the forward line. Caddy would be.

Not next year or probably the year after. How many 20 year olds are taking the best defender every week? Cadman is having some nice success, but how do you reckon he’d be going if Hogan wasn’t there?

Even if you think Wright is less than dirt he is at very least the best version of a bridging player to let Caddy develop because you have to respect him.

Really good defenders will absolutely brain Caddy next year, purely off the basis of reading it better. Caddy may take the odd hanger on them but they’ll back themselves to intercept everything else because Caddy is not smart.

What you are talking about is deliberate self sabotage.

Not next year or probably the year after. How many 20 year olds are taking the best defender every week? Cadman is having some nice success, but how do you reckon he’d be going if Hogan wasn’t there?

Even if you think Wright is less than dirt he is at very least the best version of a bridging player to let Caddy develop because you have to respect him.

Really good defenders will absolutely brain Caddy next year, purely off the basis of reading it better. Caddy may take the odd hanger on them but they’ll back themselves to intercept everything else because Caddy is not smart.

I don't think Wright is less than dirt. I just think he is a poor main forward and is worse than Draper in that secondary forward/ruck role based on this season's showing.

I am a big fan of not playing guys in positions we don't see them long term, thus why I have hated playing Hobbs forward, Martin back and Tsatas as a winger. If Wright is to make it, it will be as a forward/ruck. If we were to move Draper on this offseason (let's say crows come with a great offer) then I would expect Wright to be in the best 22.

This might cause us to be slightly worse short term but I dont see that as sabotaging as that would infer I am doing it to purposely lose. No I am doing it because I think it is the best way for our team unit to grow beyond mediocre.

Just got the feeling Rosa will be more competent than others that have been making list decisions for us. Might need Vozzo to get Brad out of his way and Dodo out of the club finally.

2MP is softer than play dough and is an absolute culture killer at the club. We need competitors that can lead by example, he wilts like spinach and sets a horrible bar for the rest of the forward line to follow…

I don't think Wright is less than dirt. I just think he is a poor main forward and is worse than Draper in that secondary forward/ruck role based on this season's showing.

I am a big fan of not playing guys in positions we don't see them long term, thus why I have hated playing Hobbs forward, Martin back and Tsatas as a winger. If Wright is to make it, it will be as a forward/ruck. If we were to move Draper on this offseason (let's say crows come with a great offer) then I would expect Wright to be in the best 22.

This might cause us to be slightly worse short term but I dont see that as sabotaging as that would infer I am doing it to purposely lose. No I am doing it because I think it is the best way for our team unit to grow beyond mediocre.

It’s self sabotage because you get a worse immediate outcome because we’re a better team with Wright in the side now AND it’s not good for Caddy’s development because he will get smacked on the regular, and physically beat up as well. You are making a significant investment in Caddy and then setting him up to fail.

2MP is softer than play dough and is an absolute culture killer at the club. We need competitors that can lead by example, he wilts like spinach and sets a horrible bar for the rest of the forward line to follow…

I don’t think you can reasonably say Wright is a culture killer when they’ve exiled him and then completely wilted without him two years in a row. The last time he played a full year he lead us to finals. If you want to talk about really poor cultural reflections how about Wright getting stuff all support from anyone at the club when he got suspended? The Swans named Heeney in the seniors after he got rubbed out, backed him to the hilt and defended him to the end of the earth. I bet he feels loved and wanted up there.

It’s self sabotage because you get a worse immediate outcome because we’re a better team with Wright in the side now AND it’s not good for Caddy’s development because he will get smacked on the regular, and physically beat up as well. You are making a significant investment in Caddy and then setting him up to fail.

Or.

Hear Me Out Hold On GIF by Saturday Night Live

We could believe in Caddy and see how he goes because we already know Wright is not taking us forward in any real sense.

Mate, I’m a positive Polly about the future of this club.
So if you do not have blinkers on and do not front up every year saying we are a chance then you are a no hoper ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trade week is Hawks and Tigers to loose

Tigers looking to get a bounty of FRPs from guys that want to leave and could have up to 9 top 30 picks when alls said and done. Maybe more.

Hawks seemingly have battle and Barass locked up while not needing much.

Honestly not sure what Essendon could do to be considered to have won trade week Short of getting a Star out of nowhere.

The irony of posting that on this board.

The entire posting base on here are a bunch of no-hopers.

The irony of criticising posts on a board that solely exists for people to give their views…positive or negative (and yes, including your right to give your view about my post)…but yeah let’s all pretend no one is pissed about the last 20 years…

Having said that, I really just want us in a position where the coach can have a crack with (mostly) his own players and coaching staff, and with not 1 hand tied behind his back due to background noise…we all know what I’m speaking about. I don’t think he’s had that so far…clean air.

I’m fully backing Vozzo, Scott and Rosa to fix this.

Trade week is Hawks and Tigers to loose

Tigers looking to get a bounty of FRPs from guys that want to leave and could have up to 9 top 30 picks when alls said and done. Maybe more.

Hawks seemingly have battle and Barass locked up while not needing much.

Honestly not sure what Essendon could do to be considered to have won trade week Short of getting a Star out of nowhere.
What can we do ?
Hope that we have some rabbits and a few hats 😁

What can we do ?
Hope that we have some rabbits and a few hats 😁

I just think it makes sense for us to have a more sensible(boring) trade period this year.

We also can’t acquire lots of 2nd picks due to Kako matching.

Trade a few older not best 18 players for future picks. Go after some free agents or out of favor fringe players that might help
Add depth.

Then I think we have a fundamental difference of opinion on both fronts.

Draper cannot be the core structural component to a good forward line as an unpredictable agent of chaos. I don’t think that’s a thing. The way you make it easier for everyone all over the ground is put your arms around Wright and get him firing on all fronts as a straight leading, straight kicking, predictable leading man who makes triple the contests that Draper does and doesn’t get outmarked. If Brad wants to dumb it down, that’s how you dumb it down.

With regards to Caddy, talent is distinct from craft and despite him having all the talent in the world his craft needs honing, and that’s ok, but he will get physically beaten up playing on the big boys and they will not respect him. You will get weekly outcomes similar to our second outing against the Eagles where yes Caddy did a couple of things but Barrass took like 10 intercept marks because he paid him no respect.

I’m happier to let Stringer go because he’s not a structural plank and never has been, for me Wright is 1b behind McKay in terms of structural importance for the side.

Trading Wright is a great way to tank if that’s the goal.
I think we should retain Wright for a season and try everything to get him back on track

But gee he is underwhelming on current form. Hard to see us winning any tough games with a FF who is weak in the contest, drops half a dozen marks a game he gets both hands to and lopes around in defense like a caravan pulled by a bicycle.

I just think it makes sense for us to have a more sensible(boring) trade period this year.

We also can’t acquire lots of 2nd picks due to Kako matching.

Trade a few older not best 18 players for future picks. Go after some free agents or out of favor fringe players that might help
Add depth.
Think I was the first on this wagon. Have been saying for a while that we will not so a lot in this trade period. Best case would be a couple of third rounds for Laverde and Stringer. A pick befor Kako. Kako bid abrorbs the points of the second round and most of one of the thirds. Use the other third and then the later pick which will be 5th round after points. That would be 3 picks inside 50 and one late.
There does not seem to be many delisted free agents of interest. Same with free agents. Personally I am not looking at trading future picks unless it is for a player aged 20-23.
Without doing the exact numbers maybe a couple of spots for SSP candidates.

I think we should retain Wright for a season and try everything to get him back on track

But gee he is underwhelming on current form. Hard to see us winning any tough games with a FF who is weak in the contest, drops half a dozen marks a game he gets both hands to and lopes around in defense like a caravan pulled by a bicycle.
I think that is the situation we are in. I doubt we have a lot of choice as I am not hearing there is any sort of interest from any of my AFL sources. Contract length too long.

Then I think we have a fundamental difference of opinion on both fronts.

Draper cannot be the core structural component to a good forward line as an unpredictable agent of chaos. I don’t think that’s a thing. The way you make it easier for everyone all over the ground is put your arms around Wright and get him firing on all fronts as a straight leading, straight kicking, predictable leading man who makes triple the contests that Draper does and doesn’t get outmarked. If Brad wants to dumb it down, that’s how you dumb it down.

With regards to Caddy, talent is distinct from craft and despite him having all the talent in the world his craft needs honing, and that’s ok, but he will get physically beaten up playing on the big boys and they will not respect him. You will get weekly outcomes similar to our second outing against the Eagles where yes Caddy did a couple of things but Barrass took like 10 intercept marks because he paid him no respect.

I’m happier to let Stringer go because he’s not a structural plank and never has been, for me Wright is 1b behind McKay in terms of structural importance for the side.

Trading Wright is a great way to tank if that’s the goal.
The argument is basically about if a D grade forward in Draper who is pretty much kaos all the time is better or worse than a soft C grade forward who is more conventional. Neither will be the FF of the side that is a real top 4 contender. Wright may add structure but he leaks like a colander defensively and he drops 50% of the marginally contested marks he should take.
And do not give me the wrap our arms around him because we did not challenge he suspension. What about last year and even when he was in good form. Yes he kicked 50 goals but he had some bog average games against some better sides and the better defenders.

Think I was the first on this wagon. Have been saying for a while that we will not so a lot in this trade period. Best case would be a couple of third rounds for Laverde and Stringer. A pick befor Kako. Kako bid abrorbs the points of the second round and most of one of the thirds. Use the other third and then the later pick which will be 5th round after points. That would be 3 picks inside 50 and one late.
There does not seem to be many delisted free agents of interest. Same with free agents. Personally I am not looking at trading future picks unless it is for a player aged 20-23.
Without doing the exact numbers maybe a couple of spots for SSP candidates.

I did a best 18 the other day and was pretty happy how it looked with mostly younger guys and Zerrett playing SF (who rolls into midfield)

Mostly needed a bunch of midsize flankers (or balanced mids who can play inside and outside) but the rest of the list for the most part just needed development.

Any senior players bought in would mostly just disrupt that and no one is moving clubs to be depth

Edit: if looking for rabbits I’d love to find a way to turn 2MP into Jack McRae

Think they have similar contracts and similar standing at their teams. Just need a 3rd to make it work.

Think if Jake goes you should be able to do Jake + F2 for F1 on a team with aspirations as that’s only moving about 10 spots in the draft order possibly less if Essendon is bad.

Think Lav stays. Because we’d want F2 for him at minimum and we won’t get that.

Last edited:
The argument is basically about if a D grade forward in Draper who is pretty much kaos all the time is better or worse than a soft C grade forward who is more conventional. Neither will be the FF of the side that is a real top 4 contender. Wright may add structure but he leaks like a colander defensively and he drops 50% of the marginally contested marks he should take.
And do not give me the wrap our arms around him because we did not challenge he suspension. What about last year and even when he was in good form. Yes he kicked 50 goals but he had some bog average games against some better sides and the better defenders.

I’m not really agreeing with any of that.

Break out season in 22, still at that same standard but injured for part of 23, unceremoniously punted in 24.

Wright again now finds himself in the same position he was in on the GC where he’s an under-utilised commodity by an idiot coach who’s giving him the cold shoulder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Footy Dept. Talent & Operations Manager Matt Rosa