List Mgmt. Target more than a gun player

Remove this Banner Ad

If Vlastuin was ever going to be a star, we'd know it by now. We al have high hopes for him but he is not the superstar we all hoped he was going to be after his early highlights.

Can take 3-5 yrs . It varies a lot for individual players as to when it all clicks. I'm still hopeful for a number of our players. But fair call based on what we've seen .....

An interesting thing for me is the idea that Cotch may have been made Captain possibly a bit early ? I just wonder if he has the right players to lead or who are prepared to follow him ? If players are not buying in WHY ? Club has to be prepared to ask difficult questions (If they aren't already ?)...
I would have given the cap to Lids for a few years then Cotch.

Geelong captain is too old. Judd scenario all over , Cartlon rinse repeat!

Getting Selwood perpetuates the ground hog day scenario

Agreed. But the issue I am raising is really that we are a dumb team. See it over and over again. When they go into autopilot and play the right game style they are good. But if things are a bit off we are simply not clever enough to correct it. I include both coaching and playing groups. I reckon a on field real leader would help a huge amount. But then I also reckon that sort of player is only going to be available for a suitable cost in the draft or as an older player. We have picked Dimma's type, which hasn't included smart leaders. We only need one, or a couple of, Voss types to be very good. But as much as I love Cotch he isn't a patch on Voss for leadership. I reckon that was a big part of why we got Ellis last year - supposed to be the smartest football brain in the draft - or there about. If the coaching group had Wallace's match day brain then it could be OK. But they don't (And thank God they don;t have Wallace's approach to squad development). We need to get things right.

At the moment we are being badly exposed on how much better Lids makes the team. With Lids things work, without Lids a lot of things don't. I know correlation isn't causation, but Lids seems to be a magic ingredient in our team.

Can take 3-5 yrs . It varies a lot for individual players as to when it all clicks. I'm still hopeful for a number of our players. But fair call based on what we've seen .....
I don't think we need Vlastuin to be a star though, but we need him as a bull in the middle so Cotch and co can play more outside.
As bulls go, by comparison he will/would have some pretty elite skills.
Just gotta get his tank right for 4 quarters. Unfortunately I also do now like him down back so we need 2 of him.
Anyway yeah he won't be a superstar freak, but if he progresses in a similar way to Jordan Lewis (who is a genuine star the last 3 or 4 years) it'll be nice, but even more like a Brad Sewell would be good too. Or even just our replacement for Tucky!
Get him in the middle.

Agreed. But the issue I am raising is really that we are a dumb team. See it over and over again. When they go into autopilot and play the right game style they are good. But if things are a bit off we are simply not clever enough to correct it. I include both coaching and playing groups. I reckon a on field real leader would help a huge amount. But then I also reckon that sort of player is only going to be available for a suitable cost in the draft or as an older player. We have picked Dimma's type, which hasn't included smart leaders. We only need one, or a couple of, Voss types to be very good. But as much as I love Cotch he isn't a patch on Voss for leadership. I reckon that was a big part of why we got Ellis last year - supposed to be the smartest football brain in the draft - or there about. If the coaching group had Wallace's match day brain then it could be OK. But they don't (And thank God they don;t have Wallace's approach to squad development). We need to get things right.

At the moment we are being badly exposed on how much better Lids makes the team. With Lids things work, without Lids a lot of things don't. I know correlation isn't causation, but Lids seems to be a magic ingredient in our team.

I would have given the cap to Lids for a few years then Cotch.

Just looking back on old threads when Newy gave the captaincy up and majority were all for Cotch to take it.

And once he was named no one said it should have been Lids or anyone else for that matter ;)

Cotch should stay captain. He just needs to get nastier. I reckon he's learning that the hard way.

I think I've seen flashes of it, Cotch Get in touch with your inner Mungrel ???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think the individual captaincy is all that important. All players should know what to do (that's what training is for). We should have a strong core of senior players who on the field can direct, make decisions, and if necessary, tell players where and what they should be doing. The captain needs to be the media front and Cotchin is fine there.

I just don't see a hard-nut leader at Richmond who runs the show, orders people around, sets the example on the field. Mind you, Hawthorn, Sydney etc don't necessarily have fire-and-brimstone leaders either. The best leadership is done away from the game - at training, at pre-match.

Ric Charlesworth came out and said he didn't want captains in his hockey teams - he expected every player at the elite level to be able to perform without needing some faux 'special captaincy recognition' to be bestowed on them. He also wanted every player to be able to act as captain when standards were slipping. He was basically forced to appoint a captain to handle the media duties, as the sponsors and press wanted the symbolism of captaincy.

That's a great idea Wallaby . wonder if they could split the captains extra pay between all the 1st 22 or more giving Cotch a bit extra for media stuff?? Putting all those players through the leadership programs. Because I agree that all players should be encouraged to take that level of responsibility.(May or may not be realistic as some may be flat out just focusing on playing their role?) Maybe in that scenario the more natural leaders would rise to the top?? Is this realistic RFC_Official ?

I dont think the individual captaincy is all that important. All players should know what to do (that's what training is for). We should have a strong core of senior players who on the field can direct, make decisions, and if necessary, tell players where and what they should be doing. The captain needs to be the media front and Cotchin is fine there.

I just don't see a hard-nut leader at Richmond who runs the show, orders people around, sets the example on the field. Mind you, Hawthorn, Sydney etc don't necessarily have fire-and-brimstone leaders either. The best leadership is done away from the game - at training, at pre-match.

Ric Charlesworth came out and said he didn't want captains in his hockey teams - he expected every player at the elite level to be able to perform without needing some faux 'special captaincy recognition' to be bestowed on them. He also wanted every player to be able to act as captain when standards were slipping. He was basically forced to appoint a captain to handle the media duties, as the sponsors and press wanted the symbolism of captaincy.
agree with most of that..we need a real beast in the midfield a Nathan Jones Dangerfield type individual who inspires and takes the game by the neck...talk is cheap actions strong actions inspire on the field...i used to love Stuart Maxfield he inspired our team all the time we need a player like that..

It's interesting. I think we all thought Cotchin was going to be a great captain. I certainly remember footage of him talking in the huddle and getting the boys up before he was placed in the role. But yes, something seems to have happened since then and he's not quite the leader we all thought he might have been.

its called getting married and having kids.
Both are A-grade life wreckers

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Target more than a gun player

Remove this Banner Ad

Back