Tasmania Tasmania Devils, welcome to the AFL. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Labor declares support for Stadium 6/5

Remove this Banner Ad

The visitors are coming from the Hawthorn side too. Fremantle fans are rarely flying to Tassie when they're playing North or Hawks there currently.

Let’s say just Victorian teams fans travel.
Let’s say they have 6 home games v vic based opponents.

So 6 visiting teams from 10 supporter bases
Currently it’s hawthorn (4) and maybe one other vic team visiting …but from only 2 supporter bases

It has to be more. As a hawks fan I never travelled to Tassie, but I’d imagine less travel these days than 20 years ago when it was a novelty.

They do say regardless of attendance, most of the stadium (sub 20k) is sold each game

Closer to the action than what? A bigger stadium?
I Assume they mean that the stand will have a high gradient and be very steep. Plus, there are several tiers.

Highest point is 51M. Be interesting to see how many cricket shots go higher than that. They mentioned Cricket Tas were happy overall.

It looks nice, but pricey. You have to assume it will go over budget.

My other concern is the heat in the summer. I am sure they will have great AC and heaters.

you are going to get it.

Could be an issue for cricket.

See Dunedin. the clip above is the women's world cup match played down there last year at the fully inclosed stadium.

Looks shit, especially for marking. It's like driving in the country through the trees on a sunny summers day.

Expect this to be like when they stuffed up marvel by putting it in the wrong direction and not being able to grow the grass properly.

'The AFL didn't envisage problems with the shadowing', will be the headlines.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a bit different having big slabs of shadows than- light, shadow, light, shadow every 2 metres. But I don't need to tell you that, it's common sense.
The MCG has both. Use your eyes.

Closer to the action than what? A bigger stadium?
The lower tier is not many rows deep, so the second level is much closer than say MCG or Marvel. Or Metricon or Giants which are a similar capacity but with the soo d levels further back.

It looks awesome. My only query is whether it is still expandable to 30k/40k. Doesn't look it.

The MCG has both. Use your eyes.

I opened my eyes, but still can't find a picture of the mcg having a full roof with slats creating flickering light and shadows every few metres, across the entire field.

On another note, the actual stadium design looks good, similar to Optus stadium with the wood on the outside.

Hence... "the MCG has both". Diffused grid shadows for part of the field on a sunny day (the only part of the ground that never screws up the TV cameras). And then something far worse for the rest of the field (a la open-roofed Docklands).

My other concern is the heat in the summer. I am sure they will have great AC and heheaters.

I'd be astounded if it's air conditioned. The cost of doing that would be exorbitant. But on the positive side it would make the Greens catatonic with rage.

As cricket has been involved in the design process I will assume the shadowing won't be too much of an issue.

My question is how hot will it be under the glass in summer?

As cricket has been involved in the design process I will assume the shadowing won't be too much of an issue.

My question is how hot will it be under the glass in summer?
Its not glass, it is ETFE. ETFE usually is "tinted" to reflect some of the heat off the roof than let it thru like glass does.

Las Vegas Raiders roof uses ETFE panels on its membrane roof and its a lot hotter there than Hobart. Although they do have a a large sliding door / window that they only occasionally open up. They have four rolling doors framing a 90-foot-tall, by 200-foot-wide view of the Las Vegas Strip.

SoFi Stadium in LA also has an ETFE roof, isn't tinted as much as Las Vegas stadium, and has natural air flow as there are gaps between top deck and the roof.

1720359764679.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Tasmania Tasmania Devils, welcome to the AFL. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Labor declares support for Stadium 6/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back