Tasmania Tasmania Devils, welcome to the AFL. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Labor declares support for Stadium 6/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Quotes from lead designer Alastair Richardson today, which address some questions asked itt...

On shadows: “The height of the roof results in a diffused shadow, so you don’t get hard shadows like what you see when the roof is open at Marvel Stadium, or the edge of the MCG on those days. You don’t get a shadow like that at all. So the issue in terms of impact on play is minimised.”

On natural ventilation: “We’re bringing in cold air down the bottom and extracting hot air at the top, essentially.”

On the roof height for cricket: “What we’ve done here is we’ve worked through looking at Hawkeye and ball tracking technology to assess the maximum height that anyone’s hit a ball… then push the roof to 50 metres, which cricket was really happy with, because there’s no instance of anybody hitting a ball 50 metres high.”

On 23k capacity and future expansion (previously stated as 31k and 40k stages): “The gap at the moment between the last row of seats and the roof allows us to bring another annulus of seating around the back of the upper tier and that’s how we achieve the extra capacity.”

I would have thought the issue with roofs - including parts of the mcg - and indeed floodlights is catching balls in flight ie looking up into the ‘sky’ whether a fielder or a marking player.

We saw soccer footage, but that would be minor irritation.

I genuinely don’t get the stadium limit of 23k. 27k-30k just seemed like the perfect balance. Once they’re up and running can definitely see Tassie averaging 20k easily and selling out against most Vic teams during the regular season let alone finals. Just seems like they’re handicapping themselves early on, especially if reserved seating becomes an issue. Could result of a floor of potentially 15k crowds instead of 20+ish for lower drawing games.

I genuinely don’t get the stadium limit of 23k. 27k-30k just seemed like the perfect balance. Once they’re up and running can definitely see Tassie averaging 20k easily and selling out against most Vic teams during the regular season let alone finals. Just seems like they’re handicapping themselves early on, especially if reserved seating becomes an issue. Could result of a floor of potentially 15k crowds instead of 20+ish for lower drawing games.

If it’s artificially a little on the low side to boost profitability through supply and demand, they are going to get a political issue if it’s seen as elite and unaffordable for average Tasmanian families

Cricket getting in on the party despite not putting a cent towards an oval stadium build again.
It needs to be. You can't justify only hosting 7 events in 6 months of the year. There will be at least 4 BBL matches and 1 Australian limited overs game every season so almost as much content as AFL matches.

It needs to be. You can't justify only hosting 7 events in 6 months of the year. There will be at least 4 BBL matches and 1 Australian limited overs game every season so almost as much content as AFL matches.
They could chuck in $5 though

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

The afl did though and albo wanted a bigger contribution from them. That's the weird thing, every other sport gets their stadiums for free, the afl have to kick in something, it's a double standard.
Yes, I agree. I would hope the AFL gets something in return though, such as guaranteed access in September.

Surprised they didn't go for a lower level box for the stadium, most people who get invited to a corporate box don't two give shits about football and just want the experience – everyone I know in Perth who has gone has loved the underground section at Optus because 'you can see them run out in front of you!' also just elevates some of the crappest seats to the most desirable.

I like them using the singular concourse around the whole ground though and reckon the timber fancy they have is a great idea, for plenty of reasons. the little area dedicated to easing concerts works well, but also feels a bit redundant as more and more stadium-level artists go toward just playing Melbourne/Sydney.

Just wish they'd make the ends a bit more interesting while in the lower capacity mode – make it a point of difference on tv, it'd look unreal having one end look to the sea while the other looks out at the mountains. you could almost tilt it so the tv angles take in those sights, too.

Cost. Funds are limited. It can be expanded down the track to 30k. Also, 23k is the seated capacity. There is possibility of some initial standing room as well. They have deliberately left gaps that can be utilised down the track.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems the RSL has issues with the stadium

Not to mention the sewerage treatment plant nearby.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tasmania Tasmania Devils, welcome to the AFL. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Labor declares support for Stadium 6/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back