Tasmanian Football League - Name A Player

Remove this Banner Ad

Kingpin said:
Heh :D I know what you're talking about in regard to "fingers".
Wasn't he made captain up at New Norfolk, because he was seeing the President's (Leon Kemp) daughter?

He and just about everyone else I think!

Was very popular with the Glenorchy boys too, was Ms Kemp!

Very buxom piece!

----------------------------------

Robert Postma!
Glenorchy

Kingpin said:
Nick Clark - Clarence
Let rip with the biggest tirade of abuse on a boundary umpire I've ever heard in my life one day in the mid 80's at KGV. He played on, thought he was clear on the boundary, boundary umpire blows the whistle in front of the scoreboard, and off he goes with this tirade of obscenities and hurls the footy in disgust over the fence into the rows of plastic seats that used to be there.

Vintage stuff. Might've incurred a 15m penalty.

How about this one, Dale Wish-Wilson (Burnie) sent off for from what I remember tossing the ball at the time, Burnie was playing Glenorchy, we were on top, and we were thrashing Burnie, anyway come the final quarter Wilson gets sent off, about 4 or so minutes later he jumps the fence and decks a Glenorchy player, umpires declare the game a forfeit and Glenorchy lose top spot on the ladder not long after.

Though we did lose a few games and that after.

The Majestic said:
How about this one, Dale Wish-Wilson (Burnie) sent off for from what I remember tossing the ball at the time, Burnie was playing Glenorchy, we were on top, and we were thrashing Burnie, anyway come the final quarter Wilson gets sent off, about 4 or so minutes later he jumps the fence and decks a Glenorchy player, umpires declare the game a forfeit and Glenorchy lose top spot on the ladder not long after.

Though we did lose a few games and that after.

Ahh yes the Whish-Wilson explosion!!
It was in 1993 or '94 when Burnie were still the Hawks, and it was in the last quarter with Glenorchy leading by about 4 goals.
Whish-Wilson goes to scoop up the ball on the boundary line right in front the Glenorchy wet area, boundary umpire whistles, Whish is not pleased, and hurls the ball at the boundary ump's head!!
Umpire Dawson sends him off the field, Whish-Wilson says "No Way!!" to the umpire after being ordered off.
After refusing to go, the umpires then walk off the field resulting in the match being abandoned with the final scores being those at the time of abandonment (90-64 Glenorchy's way from memory)
I remember something else going on afterwards as there was a very, very big blue in the crowd in front of the Glenorchy Social Club after the siren which spilled over into Anfield Street.
Love to see that match again, ABC televised it.
Sunday Tasmanian's front-page headline the following day read"When Whish Went Woosh" :D
That incident was big news at the time and was even on the 7:30 Report on ABC.

Kingpin said:
Ahh yes the Whish-Wilson explosion!!
It was in 1993 or '94 when Burnie were still the Hawks, and it was in the last quarter with Glenorchy leading by about 4 goals.
Whish-Wilson goes to scoop up the ball on the boundary line right in front the Glenorchy wet area, boundary umpire whistles, Whish is not pleased, and hurls the ball at the boundary ump's head!!
Umpire Dawson sends him off the field, Whish-Wilson says "No Way!!" to the umpire after being ordered off.
After refusing to go, the umpires then walk off the field resulting in the match being abandoned with the final scores being those at the time of abandonment (90-64 Glenorchy's way from memory)
I remember something else going on afterwards as there was a very, very big blue in the crowd in front of the Glenorchy Social Club after the siren which spilled over into Anfield Street.
Love to see that match again, ABC televised it.
Sunday Tasmanian's front-page headline the following day read"When Whish Went Woosh" :D
That incident was big news at the time and was even on the 7:30 Report on ABC.

I was at home watching that game, I remember it was very wet day, well the ground was very wet the middle was a bog. I think Kim Excell was starting out as coach that season, I believe Wilson got 7 weeks didn't he?

I think it was the same season Dale Weightman went through Sean Satori.

Brenton Tapp
Hobart

I remember Glenorchy supporters gave this guy everything memorable chant "Tappys a W@nker!"

Someone has to say Mark Calgrave...I need a laugh, leaving Clarence this idiot thought he could start a cricket careeer:D

The Majestic said:
Someone has to say Mark Calgrave...I need a laugh, leaving Clarence this idiot thought he could start a cricket careeer:D
Mark Colgrave #49 for the Tigers.
There were quite a few Hobart supporters that didn't like him, but I thought he was a great bloke, still stops for a chat and a laugh whenever I see him about the place.
It was a shame he left to go to Clarence after what happened in the mid 90's at Hobart, but the way the club was being run at the time, it was understandable.
Actually he was supposed to be going into a 1/3 partnership in buying and running Trout in North Hobart with another former Hobart premiership player Scott Patterson and one other player some months back.
Didn't end up doing it in the finish, it was withdrawn from sale, and it was thought that it would not be a viable operation, with the Queen's Head just along the road having a pretty large monopoly on patrons up that end of North Hobart.

demon21 said:
1 of my favourite players for hobart he was.
Great player wasn't he? :thumbsu:
Came from Ganmain-Grong-Grong-Matong FC in NSW, and was on the Swans list for quite some time there, and played some magnificant games of football for Hobart.
Six-goals to half-time in the '89 Grand Final - tore North Hobart a new-one in the first quarter and a half when Hobart got 40-points up (8.2.50 to 0.10.10), only to see Steve McQueen produce a blinder at CHF for North in the second half of the second quarter where they kicked 8 in 11 minutes to hit the front on half time - one of the most disappointing days I've ever spent at the football.
Darrel Baldock medallist in 1990 for his BOG in the Grand Final, kicking 7 big ones, his unforgettable goals in the last quarter of the Prelim Final the week before against Clarence to win it for the Tigers was unbelievable.
Saw him a couple of months back and hasn't changed a bit, still looks like he could pull on the boots again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kingpin said:
Mark Colgrave #49 for the Tigers.
There were quite a few Hobart supporters that didn't like him, but I thought he was a great bloke, still stops for a chat and a laugh whenever I see him about the place.
It was a shame he left to go to Clarence after what happened in the mid 90's at Hobart, but the way the club was being run at the time, it was understandable.
Actually he was supposed to be going into a 1/3 partnership in buying and running Trout in North Hobart with another former Hobart premiership player Scott Patterson and one other player some months back.
Didn't end up doing it in the finish, it was withdrawn from sale, and it was thought that it would not be a viable operation, with the Queen's Head just along the road having a pretty large monopoly on patrons up that end of North Hobart.

He was good for a laugh, kicked the ball back at the fence one day at North Hobart, he was having a bad game, and copped some flack for it, later on I remember him trying his hand at cricket, but he was mainly a water boy for the Tigers.

I cannot remember if he went there to play, or just accepted a job as help for them. This was about when he left Clarence, I believe.

Danny Ling
Glenorchy

Very good player for the Magpies, great clubman, and a very good bloke, when he was assistant coach he would take time out to talk, even when he is in rush he'd talk. Credited with the 1999 premiership, his bench coaching was invaluable.

Jason Gibson
Northern Bombers

I remember a few times he played all over Glenorchy, was a fantastic player, never had a chance to meet him off the ground for a chat. Had a case of white line feaver, but I have heard he was a good bloke off the ground.

The Majestic said:
Jason Gibson
Northern Bombers

I remember a few times he played all over Glenorchy, was a fantastic player, never had a chance to meet him off the ground for a chat. Had a case of white line feaver, but I have heard he was a good bloke off the ground.
1992 William Leitch Medal presentation on ABC-Television:
Commentator, Peter Walsh: "Congratulations on an oustanding year Jason, so what does Jason Gibson do for a living away from football?"

Gibson: <In a dead-pan voice>"Cows. I work wiv' 'em"

Riveting television. :cool: Was a good player for North Lonnie though.

The Big H said:
Brian? Stanaslous- North Launceston
That was the aboriginal fella, he could really play that guy.
I remember the priceless footage of him kicking a goal at North Hobart one day, to the Gorringe Stand end and flipping the bird with both hands to the Demon supporters behind the goals - there was a big crowd there - I think it was a top of the table clash and the Robins thrashed North Hobart in that match. The look on the North Hobart supporters faces is priceless!!

Kingpin said:
Great player wasn't he? :thumbsu:
Came from Ganmain-Grong-Grong-Matong FC in NSW, and was on the Swans list for quite some time there, and played some magnificant games of football for Hobart.
Six-goals to half-time in the '89 Grand Final - tore North Hobart a new-one in the first quarter and a half when Hobart got 40-points up (8.2.50 to 0.10.10), only to see Steve McQueen produce a blinder at CHF for North in the second half of the second quarter where they kicked 8 in 11 minutes to hit the front on half time - one of the most disappointing days I've ever spent at the football.
Darrel Baldock medallist in 1990 for his BOG in the Grand Final, kicking 7 big ones, his unforgettable goals in the last quarter of the Prelim Final the week before against Clarence to win it for the Tigers was unbelievable.
Saw him a couple of months back and hasn't changed a bit, still looks like he could pull on the boots again.

Yeah the 1989 Grand Final was very disappointing lost by about 5 goals in the end. But the 1990 final series was the best knocking out clarence is always good then winning the big one. I remember 1 goal that winter kicked in 1 of those finals not sure which one it was he just turned and kicked it it was bouncing looked like it was going threw the points then it just took a few sharp turns the other way and went through.

demon21 said:
Yeah the 1989 Grand Final was very disappointing lost by about 5 goals in the end. But the 1990 final series was the best knocking out clarence is always good then winning the big one. I remember 1 goal that winter kicked in 1 of those finals not sure which one it was he just turned and kicked it it was bouncing looked like it was going threw the points then it just took a few sharp turns the other way and went through.
'89 was a real rollercoaster. From being crap for so many years (and 4-consecutive spoons a few years before that) and with a pretty much no-frills list we played some great footy that year to get into the finals.
North Hobart had a gun side that year and were really tough to beat, we had them on the ropes in the Qualifying Final in '89 (nearly 5-goals up at half-time and lost by 31-points), knocked over Glenorchy and North Launceston after that to make the Grand Final.
Whilst not being totally confident of winning the premiership, I think a lot of us felt about 15 minutes into the second quarter like we were a fair chance.
North just produced something out of the top drawer to hit the front by half-time. It was very dis-heartening to watch. That 15 minutes completely sunk Hobart.
Winter's goal in 1990 was in the Prelim Final, 24 minutes into the last quarter, ball goes into the forward line, Gorringe Stand end, Andrew Scott grabs Michael Winter on the 40m arc and slings him to the ground.
Winter gets boot to ball as he's slung and the ball bounces 5 different ways, looks to be headed through for a point and takes a "Warnie" on the last bounce - Goal :D
The crowd behind the goal was just about all Clarence, and collectively you could see just about every head drop, in amongst all that, was the odd Hobart supporter jumping up and down like mad men - it was a classic sight.
Clarence were extremely arrogant that year, and during the match as well, and it was lovely to see such a lucky bounce sink them.

Some Burnie Players...

Anthony Whitehead
Full Back

Cale O'Keefe (Also South Launceston and Carlton)
Utility

Alistair Bourn
Utility Defender

Errol Bourn
Midfielder

Paul Atkins
Midfielder

Justin Plapp
Full Forward

Dale Whish-Wilson
Utility Forward

Brad Davis