Tasmanian Football Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree to hardluck and its sure the bigman will get plenty of $$$$ rolling in for devonport as he did for Burnie. He will have to so they can pay your wage
My wage????????
Forward scout may i ask who you think i am???
You may have it terrinbly mixed up!!

Barge

I never said I was a Glenorchy supporter did i??? I only went to these games cos a few of my mates were playing for them at that time. I still dont recall a jaime wiggins - although i looked his name up and it came up as a manager or something for werribee fc.

Zane Nossiter - is that the same nossiter that went to college with us? I remember a nossiter who played cricket with me for the college team against rosny (of course he was out for a golden duck - bowled by ben meredith).

Barge

I never said I was a Glenorchy supporter did i??? I only went to these games cos a few of my mates were playing for them at that time. I still dont recall a jaime wiggins - although i looked his name up and it came up as a manager or something for werribee fc.

Zane Nossiter - is that the same nossiter that went to college with us? I remember a nossiter who played cricket with me for the college team against rosny (of course he was out for a golden duck - bowled by ben meredith).

Nossiter played at Sorell the last 2 seasons, was their 2's coach in 2005, had a run-in with Darren 'Dakka' Martin at Sorell during the season. Not much of a bloke on the footy field, don't know what he is like off it though.
By the way, judburyjets was at training last night, has been to pretty much every Wed training. Hasn't had the chance to train with Cadoras yet, who appears to only train on Monday nights...

Channel have 2 practice matches planned at this stage. We are travelling to Penguin to take them on and also i believe Bridgenorth are heading south for a match. Should be interesting to play against these sides. Will be interesting to see if 'Scooby' lines up for the saints this season...

You must be someone i know!

I didnt make it last night due to working back til late.

my sources tell me that "scooby" has been training here and there to see how the old knee comes along, will prob play a few magoo games.

I know that Chris Ryan is playing in Queensland and coaching the reserves at the club he is at, What about Craig Horne, Brad Gardner, Nick Green - do you know where these guys are at??

Noticed in the Exaggerater today that theres the possibility of a State Grand Final on AFL GF Eve at Aurora Stadium

This got me to thinking a little further on the issue of a State wide league, which I posted in the Tassie thread on the AFL board, so you may stop reading now if you read it there

This is based on an American-style set-up, with the NTFL being a Northern conference, and SFL Southern...

If both leagues had 10 teams, then not much would change, with each team playing the other Home and Away (18 games). But scattered during the season, each club would play 3 inter-league matches, just to get that Statewide feel going. Diehard fans would love the 'bus-trip' but it also wouldnt be as costly as it was travelling every 2nd-4th week as was the case with TFL.

That would create a 21 round season, with normal 4 week finals in each league and a Statewide Grand Final between the 2 champions

The cons would be that the schedule would become lop-sided, as some clubs would play weaker clubs than others in the inter-league matches sometimes, but all leagues cope with that in any sport, and for the benefit of bringing a bit of statewide feel to the state again...

What do you think?

Nossiter played at Sorell the last 2 seasons, was their 2's coach in 2005, had a run-in with Darren 'Dakka' Martin at Sorell during the season. Not much of a bloke on the footy field, don't know what he is like off it though.
By the way, judburyjets was at training last night, has been to pretty much every Wed training. Hasn't had the chance to train with Cadoras yet, who appears to only train on Monday nights...

Well I can vouch for him off the field, I think he is a great fella......but he has a bit of a temper on the field. I still cannot believe he actually coached any team though.

Have fond memories of him, a chair, and a big glass window though. :D

Well I can vouch for him off the field, I think he is a great fella......but he has a bit of a temper on the field. I still cannot believe he actually coached any team though.

Have fond memories of him, a chair, and a big glass window though. :D

have to agree wilbur, he is a top bloke imo,
very intense on the park, but thats just due to the bloke wanting to win at all costs!
I played under him at Sorell, was a decent coach, my only critisism as with a lot of coaches he tended to over do things with players who just werent capable, our best results came when he kept things simple. But all said and done we had a decent year considering our lack of talent, i would be still playing at sorell now if he was 2'S coach.
As for "dakka" i played against him and thought he was an utter f.. wit, but i met him off the ground and he seemed ok. probly very similar to Nos.

Its called WHITE LINE FEVER!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate, not a bad idea at all, but unfortunately AFL Tas CGAF about the local comps, it is all about the Devils and AFL games.

Yeah, I know what ya saying

I wonder if the leagues themselves could get behind it...

have to agree wilbur, he is a top bloke imo,
very intense on the park, but thats just due to the bloke wanting to win at all costs!
I played under him at Sorell, was a decent coach, my only critisism as with a lot of coaches he tended to over do things with players who just werent capable, our best results came when he kept things simple. But all said and done we had a decent year considering our lack of talent, i would be still playing at sorell now if he was 2'S coach.
As for "dakka" i played against him and thought he was an utter f.. wit, but i met him off the ground and he seemed ok. probly very similar to Nos.

Its called WHITE LINE FEVER!!

Yep, blokes can be very different when off the field. Dakka is a top fella, would do anything for anyone and gave a lot to the club during his time at Snug. Hopefully he still has some presence at the club this season, we need fellas like him to stick around if we want to move forward, or to even remain existent...

Yeah it's intersting, 'white line fever'. I'm sure a lot of people are familiar with one T. Brand. A champion footballer up north, who had a terrible reputation for smacking people on the field. You could see the rage in his eyes, like he just wanted to break bones and bust things open. He almost took me out once and I was on the same team as him. I think a lot of people viewed him as a thug. But off the field he was one of the nicest, most placid men you could meet.

Yeah it's intersting, 'white line fever'. I'm sure a lot of people are familiar with one T. Brand. A champion footballer up north, who had a terrible reputation for smacking people on the field. You could see the rage in his eyes, like he just wanted to break bones and bust things open. He almost took me out once and I was on the same team as him. I think a lot of people viewed him as a thug. But off the field he was one of the nicest, most placid men you could meet.

I certainly remember him, had lots of tattoos on his arms, played against him when he was playing for rocherlea, caught me unawares with a shirtfront followed with a haymaker, kept a close eye on him after that. Anthony Luck and the blackabys from the ODFA was another one to keep one eye on the field.

Tony 'Tats' Brand!
Looked like a walking mural, and I tell ya what I saw him get into plenty of decent stoushes on the field.
Pretty fearful looking bloke.
I remember a match at York Park in 1990 when he and Tony 'Boots' Marchant from Hobart had a mass blue that spilled over the fence and into the crowd in front of the old Cameron-Tyson Stand.
Then the whole two sides joined in :D
Got Marchant back in the grand final that year with a stray elbow to the head in the second quarter from memory and got booked by Gary Dawson for abusive language just after that.
Marchant later went down ground chasing his wandering opponent, kicked three in the last quarter and helped win the Tigers a premiership.
He could certainly play that Brand, had a bad reputation, but there were quite a few like him who played it hard like that in the 80's.

Kingpin,

re: 1990 GF, was that the game where steve goulding went down like a sack of spuds clutching his knee?, i remember seeing him hobble off in the first five minutes or so. All the north players seemed to fall apart from that point.

Kingpin,

re: 1990 GF, was that the game where steve goulding went down like a sack of spuds clutching his knee?, i remember seeing him hobble off in the first five minutes or so. All the north players seemed to fall apart from that point.
Yep that's the one. 1990 Grand Final.
Golding went down 90 seconds into the first quarter, after being slung in a tackle by none other than Tony 'Boots' Marchant in front of the Doug Plaister Stand.
It was showery in the opening minutes, and as he was tackled he slid oddly and did the 'good' knee - he missed about 6 or 7 rounds towards the end of the season after doing his other knee - and never played again.
To their credit, North stayed in the match pretty well for the next three quarters under assistant coach Robbie Sanders, but the last quarter was all the Tiges, North couldn't get near the ball in the last quarter.
Interestingly, Golding won the ABC Footballer Of The Year that year despite missing about 6 or 7 roster games leading up to around finals time. Good player.

second in the bendigo foot ball league gaol kickin machine at the age of 21 lobb on the move for new club i here and also with telanted on baller foward flank eddy from eaglehawk. if anyone knows if going into your league please contact me, or if wanna know about them contact me by e-mail

I hear Hobart Lions have got themselves a $40,000 sponsorship over 3 years with TasKeno through Andrew Lamprill.
Lamprill's also close to getting another one signed.
Maybe they should sack the entire board and install him as Coach and President - he's done more work in recent months than the rest of the clueless, lazy sloth's up there put together have done in years.

I hear some more ex-players from his era are helping out up there, with 1990 premiership player Mark Colegrave apparently set to pull on the boots for the Reserves, Brer Fox' son who had something to do with Glenorchy once apparently might be getting a game also.

Get rid of those stupid colours and jumper I might consider coming back myself.

PS: I hadn't looked at the Hobart website since the end of the footy season, but I notice it's now gone.
Good thing too, created more problems than it was worth, and looked like someone from Work For The Dole did it with that horrible pink and yellow colour scheme, and gimmicky graphics everywhere. :eek:

Kingpin,

can you do us a favour, you seem to be a walking encyclopedia of football knowledge.

having trouble trying to remember the name of that fella who played for north laun, they used to call him the "gnome", i think he passed away prior to them winning their flag? Would you know his name?

thanks tomkat, thats him.

Barge, where art thou? - dont tell me you have gone into hiding,

there was a photo of joffa in the herald wearing his gold jacket and yes..... a carlton footy jumper, offering to sell raffle tickets to help them out.

Kingpin,

bumped into boots today down the shop on his way back from golf. what a coincidence after you mentioning yesterday about him, brand and goulding. hadnt seen him for a while prior to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back