Tasmanian Football Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was there in '91 too and I thought he was a pretty good coach, not the best I had but pretty good. A better coach than Ray anyway. We should have won the flag that year, except for one J.Lyons playing unregistered.
I read about this game in Seagulls On The Wing (The Sandy Bay book) which I borrowed the other day.
Sandy Bay 4ths reach the 1st Semi Final, get defeated by Glenorchy.
Glenorchy defeats New Norfolk in the Prelim Final for the right to play Clarence in the Grand Final.
An illegal player is discovered to have played for the Pies in the 1st Semi against Sandy Bay, and Glenorchy is then disqualified from the 1st Semi Final by the TFL.
Therefore, Sandy Bay who were given 3 days notice and who had not trained for over 2 weeks had to front up under lights two nights before the Grand Final to play New Norfolk, and the Eagles won by 26-points.

Shades of last year's schmozzle.

we had a pretty good couple of teams back then, some of the players which have played for the devils Ben Careless and Ben Atkin and some that have coached eg D.McConnon and N.Longman

I also played in 91 Old Pie, agree with your comments about Nobby Hay, didn't really rate him as a coach, I played in the 92 thirds premiership under Ray Careless and thought he was a much better underage coach.

It was a similar situation with Kim Excell and Paul Hamilton, I found Hamo to be a much better coach due to the rapport he developed with players and was prepared to let us develop as players and a team.

Are you still playing Old Pie??

Young Lovell is actually only 15. Not a bad first game from a kid who only played under 15's last season. He made Channels midfield look silly.

He certainly did. He was very impressive. Don't know why he would want to play in the Regional League, looks like state underage material to me.

I also played in 91 Old Pie, agree with your comments about Nobby Hay, didn't really rate him as a coach, I played in the 92 thirds premiership under Ray Careless and thought he was a much better underage coach.

It was a similar situation with Kim Excell and Paul Hamilton, I found Hamo to be a much better coach due to the rapport he developed with players and was prepared to let us develop as players and a team.

Are you still playing Old Pie??

Only just gone back to it after a long time out down at Huonville just to get fit basically as i have a young family and wanted to be able to run around with them and muck about but i have enjoyed it quite a bit and look forward to playing each week and train my arse of trying to get my skills and running of 13 years ago.

Yeah Ray wasn't too bad although i left part of the way into 92 so i didn't play under him too much. I found Kim okay and was always easy to talk to for advice, but what i thought they all lakced in what was the ability to coach a full sqaud, they would concentrate on the best players and let the next level down fend for themselves, there was no real coaching of how to get into positions and from what i remember it was a lot of end to end kicking in groups, nut i guess a lot has changed since then.

What about you are you still playing and if so for who?

I've only been (informally) approached to have a crack at field umpiring, and frankly, I'm not sure I can really be bothered
By what I was told today, Gibo (Umpire Boss) was so short staffed over the weekend, he rang up an ex- Glenorchy/Claremont? player (One of Barge's Mates, Owns a Pizza Shop) to fill in for the Triabunna Ressie's game, just because he was up there camping for the weekend. Not to be nasty Tigerfan, but you must be a crap umpire if they havn't "Formally" asked you yet.

By what I was told today, Gibo (Umpire Boss) was so short staffed over the weekend, he rang up an ex- Glenorchy/Claremont? player (One of Barge's Mates, Owns a Pizza Shop) to fill in for the Triabunna Ressie's game, just because he was up there camping for the weekend. Not to be nasty Tigerfan, but you must be a crap umpire if they havn't "Formally" asked you yet.

why would I be asked to umpire at Triabunna if I was already pulling a double-header in Sorell?

and frankly, I wouldn't help Tony Gibson if he had beer-flavoured nipples

Correct me if I'm wrong mr incredibe (No L), but aren't you a Sorell person?!

What were you doing down at dirty ol Snug and not that lovely part of the world, Pembroke Park?!

Was playing at Sorell in the past, but im not playing for anyone atm.
Just having a look, my gf's cousin was playing for huonville 2s so we headed down for a look. Also got a mate that has a bit to do with Channel so caught up with him.

mr incredibe said:
Just having a look, my gf's cousin was playing for huonville 2s so we headed down for a look.
So mr incredibe, you will down at huonville training next week. Good move.

mr incredibe said:
Just having a look, my gf's cousin was playing for huonville 2s so we headed down for a look.
So mr incredibe, you will down at huonville training next week. Good move.

na, i dont rekon mate, i only know one person at the club!! although my uncle did play there later in his career, i think he either coached them or just played in a premiership with them. in the 70's i think?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read about this game in Seagulls On The Wing (The Sandy Bay book) which I borrowed the other day.
Sandy Bay 4ths reach the 1st Semi Final, get defeated by Glenorchy.
Glenorchy defeats New Norfolk in the Prelim Final for the right to play Clarence in the Grand Final.
An illegal player is discovered to have played for the Pies in the 1st Semi against Sandy Bay, and Glenorchy is then disqualified from the 1st Semi Final by the TFL.
Therefore, Sandy Bay who were given 3 days notice and who had not trained for over 2 weeks had to front up under lights two nights before the Grand Final to play New Norfolk, and the Eagles won by 26-points.

Shades of last year's schmozzle.

That summary of events is pretty spot on. The Glenorchy u/17's were booted out of the grand final through an administrative bungle discovered by New Norfolk who at the time had a pretty strained relationship with the Pies when it came to clearances and were keen to find anything to get at them. Around this time there were clearance wrangles with McIntosh, Corey Bester, Gulliver, Leigh Turner, Damien Mansfield...just to name a few, there were others.

Huge breaking news.....Craig Grace will be pulling on the boots this weekend for OHA in the huge grudge match against his former school with 3 bung knees....will probably still kick 6....in the seniors....from full back.

That summary of events is pretty spot on. The Glenorchy u/17's were booted out of the grand final through an administrative bungle discovered by New Norfolk who at the time had a pretty strained relationship with the Pies when it came to clearances and were keen to find anything to get at them. Around this time there were clearance wrangles with McIntosh, Corey Bester, Gulliver, Leigh Turner, Damien Mansfield...just to name a few, there were others.
I went to school with Damian Mansfield - he was always a Magpies supporter, but was forced to play for New Norfolk.
I'm pretty sure he debuted when I was in Year 12, or the year after I left - he was younger than me in any case.
Had a couple of beers with him out on my graduation night all those years ago, haven't seen him in years.
I remember the dislike between the two clubs back then, I often wonder if it all came to a head that day at Boyer in 1987 or '88 when there was a massive all in brawl in the L.W Hepper Stand during the senior match, which required a large number of fuzz to sort the mess out.
Got very, very ugly apparently, and a lot of it was the older fans kicking off in the main stand at one another, both Norfick' and Glenorchy. :p

Huge breaking news.....Craig Grace will be pulling on the boots this weekend for OHA in the huge grudge match against his former school with 3 bung knees....will probably still kick 6....in the seniors....from full back.

And in even later breaking news, Grace only made himself available when he was told the 3 junior grounds Cadbury's Oval once were have now been transformed into one large oval - he was concerned if it were merely one of the old Cadbury 1 or Cadbury 2 grounds he may not have fitted onto the ground at all!

If he's in the 2pm game then all spectators are advised to take a packed lunch as the canteen will no doubt sell out very early in the Reserves fixture, because a big body like that needs fuel!

With the former Gagebrook Bombers superstar confirmed to be in action surely you will now be in attendance, Wilbur35?

You know how to make friends don't you?

Jasar i totally agree.
I've had a fair bit to do with the umpiring association over the last year or so but have only umpired minimal matches! The way TigerFan goes on about the association i am amazed at how this has not been reported and how TigerFan is still umpiring!!
I may have to touch base with the TFLUA again and discuss this matter

Now he has to follow blindly like a sheep?

Most umpires I know are allowed to have independent thought.

And I don't even wanna say what your last line makes you sound like.

Now he has to follow blindly like a sheep?

Most umpires I know are allowed to have independent thought.

And I don't even wanna say what your last line makes you sound like.

Yes all umpires are allowed to have independent thought! Its just a matter of if you slag off your association or not!! You dont see footballers on here paying out there own team mates and team so why would umpires who are the 3rd team on the ground! And even if they did want to pay out the umpires isn't it a bit dumb to make ureself known??

I hope you're not comparing white maggots to footballers, that would be the ultimate insult. It's bad enough that most of them are control freaks who like the sound of their own whistle.

I hope you're not comparing white maggots to footballers, that would be the ultimate insult. It's bad enough that most of them are control freaks who like the sound of their own whistle.

I would love to see the game being run without them!

And i'm simply saying that they are a 3rd team wilbur so dont get all uptight little man

They certainly are a different breed of animals, but can we still call them white maggots when they are now orange? Maybe we can call them Orang utans, some of them certainly walk and wave like one.

I went to school with Damian Mansfield - he was always a Magpies supporter, but was forced to play for New Norfolk.
I'm pretty sure he debuted when I was in Year 12, or the year after I left - he was younger than me in any case.
Had a couple of beers with him out on my graduation night all those years ago, haven't seen him in years.
I remember the dislike between the two clubs back then, I often wonder if it all came to a head that day at Boyer in 1987 or '88 when there was a massive all in brawl in the L.W Hepper Stand during the senior match, which required a large number of fuzz to sort the mess out.
Got very, very ugly apparently, and a lot of it was the older fans kicking off in the main stand at one another, both Norfick' and Glenorchy. :p

Yes kingpin I remember him as well from the old days up at barrack st. He is (or was) a quiet guy and of course brother of Matthew Mansfield (I think it was Matthew) who played in the AFL I think for the Dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back