Tasmanian Football Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Scores
SFL Premier League - Glenorchy 14.22-106 def Clarence 4.14-38
Chris Glenn 4 goals, Brad Curran (Horrie Gorringe Medalist)
*First time Clarence have scored under 50 points in SFL history
Crowd was 7,091 (not far off there Kingpin)
Just got home from the game. Wasn't a great standard game to watch, but the Pies slowly ground them down and then let loose in the last quarter.
A comprehensive thrashing in the end.
Would be one of the lowest scores Clarence has kicked since that quagmire final at West Park in the late 90's, and the Roos never looked like scoring much all day.
Crowd of 7091, looked like there were more than that actually, but it was still a good turnout for footy these days.
I'm convinced if the game was promoted better here they would get solid crowds each week.
Glenorchy won the reserves and North won the Under 19's apparently.
Sportstalk07 said:
NTFL - Ulverstone 16.20-116 def Devonport 8.16-64
Next week - Launceston v Ulverstone at Latrobe

NTFA - George Town 26.14-170 def Bridgenorth 9.9-63
Next week - Longford v George Town at Aurora Stadium
(Is this a twilight game next week? They played a twilight game last year these two...)
What a turnup that NTFL result was!
Devvo out in straight sets, looks like that flu bug really threw a spanner in the works and Ulvie knew they had them where they wanted them and rammed it home in no uncertain terms!
Big fight in the crowd at the Youngtown Ground apparently in the G Town v Parrots match.
The results was a blowout, but most expected George Town to reverse last weeks result.

Andrew Lamprill has stood down as coach of the Hobart Lions.
I heard John Edge has applied for the position.

Few snaps I took quickly on my phone today.
Sorry about the quality, the phone's just about had it.
gf3zx6.jpg

gf2mw7.jpg

gf4wn0.jpg

gf5wu6.jpg

gf1ev0.jpg

Few snaps I took quickly on my phone today.
Sorry about the quality, the phone's just about had it.

gf5wu6.jpg

At least you managed to get the BARGESTER in the picture! Thats him on the left.:D Surprised he isn't wearing a Collingwood sweater after their impressive win last night.
Amazing how many of these darn Hawthorn and Collingwood supporters have been coming out of the closet in the last couple of weeks. The barman at the local pub is threatning to shoot anyone who sings "GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD FOREVER" once more in the bar. (He is a very :mad: West Coast supporter)

Kingpin - Was that madcap Glenorchy supporter who used to lurk behind the goalposts at KGV swearing blue murder at the umpires and opposition (usually with a tribe of foul mouthed kids around him) there today? (Russel Gibson).

At least you managed to get the BARGESTER in the picture! Thats him on the left.:D Surprised he isn't wearing a Collingwood sweater after their impressive win last night.
Ya mean I was standing near the esteemed Bargemeister for the entire second half, and was having a kick of the footy at halftime with some friends right in front of him and didn't realise it was him? :cool:
My bad! :eek:
Cadoras said:
Kingpin - Was that madcap Glenorchy supporter who used to lurk behind the goalposts at KGV swearing blue murder at the umpires and opposition (usually with a tribe of foul mouthed kids around him) there today? (Russel Gibson).
No mate Russel Gibson wasn't there, I didn't notice it until you just mentioned it actually, and I can't recall seeing him all day and I did walk the entire ground during the day.
I know he had issues with Glenorchy after he had that blue with Zane Nossiter and Dessie Peters in the Prelim Final a few years back when they stuffed up and lost the Reserves game, I heard he'd turned quite religious (from someone who works in the same building as him) and more than likely has turned his back on them.
He was the second most rabid Glenorchy supporter I can remember, behind this old fella that used to follow them up until the late 80's who used to always cause huge fights with opposition supporters at most games, I know he did when he sat in the Gorringe Stand at our home matches.
He was a 70+ year-old hardcore hoolie this bloke!
I remember a doozie of a blue between him and his wife and a group of middle-aged Hobart Tiger supporters in a game at North Hobart back in '89 up the back of the Gorringe Stand (now filled in with the AFL Tasmania offices).
There were fists, thermos', binoculars, cups of tea - the works - being lobbed around at each other - She was an all in! :p
I think I nearly scored a cup of tea in the head at one stage in my usual possie up the back in the dark-green wooden bench seats directly behind the red barrier wall that used to seperate us from the esteemed white plastic seat dwellers.
Whilst I didn't see Russel today, I did see and say gday to the old fella that wanders around the ground yelling out 'Go Piiiiiiiiiie' :D
Used to yell out 'Goo Dooooooorm' when they were the Storm a few years back.
Oh and while I remember, I saw and said a quick gday to your old pal, Diamond Des as well.

Just got home from the game. Wasn't a great standard game to watch, but the Pies slowly ground them down and then let loose in the last quarter.
A comprehensive thrashing in the end.
Would be one of the lowest scores Clarence has kicked since that quagmire final at West Park in the late 90's, and the Roos never looked like scoring much all day.
Crowd of 7091, looked like there were more than that actually, but it was still a good turnout for footy these days.
I'm convinced if the game was promoted better here they would get solid crowds each week.
Glenorchy won the reserves and North won the Under 19's apparently.

A la 2006, except Clarence did it to Glenorchy in the final quarter.
Listened to it on radio, and I must admit the coverage was reasonable from Newlands, Lonergan, Brownless and Cresswell. If only there was a team that did it week in week out.
I know that Coast FM do it for the NTFL matches weekly, but there needs to be more done, and your right, market the game to the broadcasters and who knows, the pot of gold might arrive a lot quicker (What happened to Triple S Sport who did some Launceston games in the NTFL a few years back?? Anyone?? :confused:)

What a turnup that NTFL result was!
Devvo out in straight sets, looks like that flu bug really threw a spanner in the works and Ulvie knew they had them where they wanted them and rammed it home in no uncertain terms!
Big fight in the crowd at the Youngtown Ground apparently in the G Town v Parrots match.
The results was a blowout, but most expected George Town to reverse last weeks result.
Andrew Lamprill has stood down as coach of the Hobart Lions.
I heard John Edge has applied for the position.

I always had a feeling that the Robins would win, simply cause Devonport don't know how to win a final. It's gotta be a mental thing now, they've had three years to really have a trophy and have missed the boat each time.
Simply, IMO, if Devonport don't win the flag in 2008 then expect them to be around mid table for the next few seasons. And it wouldn't surprise me if there were a few players that leave the Pies nest for 2008.
Ulverstone will be up against it next week against Launceston, but they would fancy themselves to win, and why wouldn't you?
George Town...well...if they didn't beat the Parrots then NTFA grand final day just wouldn't be the same ;)

Not surprised that Lamps has stood down, always saw it coming...

Russel was there. Talked to him just after the U/19's. The tribe of foul mouthed kids have since moved on!!!

Anyone else see the collection blanket for Marcus Turner? The kid who broke his leg?

Russel was there. Talked to him just after the U/19's. The tribe of foul mouthed kids have since moved on!!!
Was he there was he? :confused:
That'd be the quietest and least visible in presence Russel's ever been :D

Jasar said:
Anyone else see the collection blanket for Marcus Turner? The kid who broke his leg?
Yeah saw that at half time, if that was the big collection blanket a few of the Clarence boys were taking around the ground.
We all donated a bit of schrapnel to the cause, my Glenorchy supporter mate turned to me and goes me "I wiped me arse with those coins before I chucked 'em in there" :p
They got a stray football in there courtesy of a wayward kick another mate bobbed in my direction.
I enjoyed going to the footy yesterday, even though I don't barrack for either team.

A la 2006, except Clarence did it to Glenorchy in the final quarter.
Listened to it on radio, and I must admit the coverage was reasonable from Newlands, Lonergan, Brownless and Cresswell. If only there was a team that did it week in week out.
I had no idea they were even broadcasting the match to be quite honest, good on them if they did though, and they should do more of it. :thumbsu:
I've had an idea that even if they can't get a regular spot on ABC radio any longer, then they should be looking to get a spot on a community station of some description.
The SANFL matches are broadcast on community radio stations rather than the ABC, funding cuts and streamlining has meant it's more feasible for them to just take a live feed of AFL each week, much to the detriment of local football.
Football here was broadcast on 7ZL (now Radio National) from 1931 and later on 7ZR (ABC Radio) up until 2000.
Did they commentate the match live or just little bits and pieces in live crosses?
Sportstalk07 said:
I know that Coast FM do it for the NTFL matches weekly, but there needs to be more done, and your right, market the game to the broadcasters and who knows, the pot of gold might arrive a lot quicker (What happened to Triple S Sport who did some Launceston games in the NTFL a few years back?? Anyone?? :confused:)
Thing is, people do want to watch, and will get interested in community football if they play it smart and give the community a reason to get interested in it.
Sure, the glory days of 1500-minimum to local games are a thing of the past, with the proliferation of AFL on television, changing lifestyle factors etc - but make it mean something and people will come along.
Roger Viney was taking potshots at the Glenorchy players for imposing a media ban in the days leading up to the final stating that it could affect the attendance figures, but when you look at the crowd for the game yesterday (7,091), this game was heavily publicised all week.
The same two sides played in the Second-Semi at KGV a couple of weeks ago with virtually no publicity to a crowd of about 900.
It shouldn't be left up to the players to promote the league three days before a Grand Final - the league should be pumping itself up - ALL SEASON

Triple-S Sport - that used to have Graeme 'Dreams' Wilkinson broadcasting matches from memory?
May have run out of funds to continue, as did the SFL Footy Show which was broadcast through Huon-FM and Tasman-FM which covered matches back in 2000-2001, Dan Garlick, Merv Yeoland, Brett Jones etc were the commentators.
They could no longer afford to broadcast matches and stopped mid-season.

Sportstalk07 said:
Not surprised that Lamps has stood down, always saw it coming...
Word is, that Lamprill's wife and family were not particularly happy with the criticism he received on the Hobart website by the various players and supporters that posted on there.
Fair enough too, a lot of the criticism was over the top, and to be quite honest from what I was hearing from around the place from people both connected with and not connected with the club, he was sick of the whole attitude up there and the way the place was being run.
He has a young family, a lot of work commitments coming up - who'd want to be involved with that rabble? Be realistic.
It'll be interesting to see how they'll go sponsorship-wise now he's stepped down, he was a key factor in getting them that Tas-Keno sponsorship and some other revenue streams while he was there.
Was chatting to someone at the game yesterday who was telling me that the Hobart Old Players & Officials Association are holding a past coaches function in the next month or so, many of the past coaches are attending.
Names such as Munari, Hudson, Browning, Petterd, Wade, McGregor to name a few will be there.
Apparently 'Jock' was one of the first to put his hand up and say that he would attend which, to me, was a surprise given how he finished up at the club, but he reckoned that he had no beef with the supporters of the club or the Old Players Association, just the board at the time - reckoned they were impossible to deal with.
Some things never change.

I had no idea they were even broadcasting the match to be quite honest, good on them if they did though, and they should do more of it. :thumbsu:
I've had an idea that even if they can't get a regular spot on ABC radio any longer, then they should be looking to get a spot on a community station of some description.
The SANFL matches are broadcast on community radio stations rather than the ABC, funding cuts and streamlining has meant it's more feasible for them to just take a live feed of AFL each week, much to the detriment of local football.
Football here was broadcast on 7ZL (now Radio National) from 1931 and later on 7ZR (ABC Radio) up until 2000.
Did they commentate the match live or just little bits and pieces in live crosses?

Was live all day from 1pm, the only criticism is that they left pretty much soon after the game, didn't really do a full synopsis of the game...left at 5pm then crossed to the Melbourne studios.
Also the VFL does some live radio too, I think three radio stations do coverage too...SEN are one, 3XL are another and there's one more that I can't think of the name of...
The fall of the statewide league in 2000 probably made things easier for the ABC, they decided to cover the Hockey (cringe) and the VFL.

Thing is, people do want to watch, and will get interested in community football if they play it smart and give the community a reason to get interested in it.
Sure, the glory days of 1500-minimum to local games are a thing of the past, with the proliferation of AFL on television, changing lifestyle factors etc - but make it mean something and people will come along.
Roger Viney was taking potshots at the Glenorchy players for imposing a media ban in the days leading up to the final stating that it could affect the attendance figures, but when you look at the crowd for the game yesterday (7,091), this game was heavily publicised all week.
The same two sides played in the Second-Semi at KGV a couple of weeks ago with virtually no publicity to a crowd of about 900.
It shouldn't be left up to the players to promote the league three days before a Grand Final - the league should be pumping itself up - ALL SEASON

I read the paper mid week and saw the headline that there was a media ban in place. The thing that I read that was the key was that the coaches were available, but the players weren't, so there was the publicity there...(anyway)
The only thing that would detract from a crowd heading to a grand final is awful weather.
Even in 2004 up at Devonport when I saw the Devils play Werribee in the most horrendous of conditions, there was still a crowd of 1000 there.
And of course you'll get your big crowd in the Grand Final, you always will!
I'm sure there'll be an assessment done, but there may need to be an extra marketing officer and perhaps a communications officer in place (at the local level)...just my opinion.

Triple-S Sport - that used to have Graeme 'Dreams' Wilkinson broadcasting matches from memory?
May have run out of funds to continue, as did the SFL Footy Show which was broadcast through Huon-FM and Tasman-FM which covered matches back in 2000-2001, Dan Garlick, Merv Yeoland, Brett Jones etc were the commentators.
They could no longer afford to broadcast matches and stopped mid-season.

Yep, Dreams Wilkinson was there in the booth with Derek Bird and one other I think, now Dreams is an Independent on the NTFL board I think.
Might have been the case about Triple S' demise, just nothing was said about it.
They weren't too bad in broadcasting the NTFL games at York Park (Aurora), Youngtown (my adopted home :p) and Windsor Park
Money talks! Sadly...:(

Word is, that Lamprill's wife and family were not particularly happy with the criticism he received on the Hobart website by the various players and supporters that posted on there.
Fair enough too, a lot of the criticism was over the top, and to be quite honest from what I was hearing from around the place from people both connected with and not connected with the club, he was sick of the whole attitude up there and the way the place was being run.
He has a young family, a lot of work commitments coming up - who'd want to be involved with that rabble? Be realistic.
It'll be interesting to see how they'll go sponsorship-wise now he's stepped down, he was a key factor in getting them that Tas-Keno sponsorship and some other revenue streams while he was there.
Was chatting to someone at the game yesterday who was telling me that the Hobart Old Players & Officials Association are holding a past coaches function in the next month or so, many of the past coaches are attending.
Names such as Munari, Hudson, Browning, Petterd, Wade, McGregor to name a few will be there.
Apparently 'Jock' was one of the first to put his hand up and say that he would attend which, to me, was a surprise given how he finished up at the club, but he reckoned that he had no beef with the supporters of the club or the Old Players Association, just the board at the time - reckoned they were impossible to deal with.
Some things never change.

Very gutless of the players to post shit on the coach when they can't front up to the fact that they might of f***** up. (take the final 6-7 games of the season as an example)
Personally, I think Hobart need a cleanout of the dead wood (either at the board level or in the playing stocks), I just can't work out how they were so dangerous in 2006 and turned to totally inconsistent in 2007.
If it was me in the same boat as Lamprill and I read that, I'd probably jump too. He'll probably be wanting to be nowhere near the place after the season he's experienced this year.
If the cleanout doesn't occur, it wouldn't surprise me if Hobart misses the finals for a few seasons to come...

I spoke with a few people at the G/Final and there are at least four Premier League clubs looking for coaches next season, New Norfolk, Clarence, Brighton, and Hobart, this is going to be an interesting few weeks to see who goes where. and who has the most to offer.

Was live all day from 1pm, the only criticism is that they left pretty much soon after the game, didn't really do a full synopsis of the game...left at 5pm then crossed to the Melbourne studios.
Also the VFL does some live radio too, I think three radio stations do coverage too...SEN are one, 3XL are another and there's one more that I can't think of the name of...
The fall of the statewide league in 2000 probably made things easier for the ABC, they decided to cover the Hockey (cringe) and the VFL.
It'd be the first local game covered on ABC radio in seven years, it'd be interesting to see how it rated.
I would hope it got a lot people listening in, I found it rather sad that the ABC stopped broadcasting Tasmanian football at the end of 2000 because from all reports, it was still receiving a pretty wide listenership at its demise.
Full marks to them for broadcasting it though, hopefully they do more in the future.
One of the reasons why football was kicked off the TV here was because ABC's Head Of Sport here at the time (Varcha Sidwell) wanted more womens sport shown on television.
As a consequence, womens hockey and netball was shown on TV, but it rated abysmally allegedly, so VFL football was put on after the hockey.
It sad that hockey from Bell Street with 4 people, 2 dogs and a couple of birds in a treetop watching can be given so much exposure, yet football here continues to miss out.

Sportstalk07 said:
I read the paper mid week and saw the headline that there was a media ban in place. The thing that I read that was the key was that the coaches were available, but the players weren't, so there was the publicity there...(anyway)
The only thing that would detract from a crowd heading to a grand final is awful weather.
Even in 2004 up at Devonport when I saw the Devils play Werribee in the most horrendous of conditions, there was still a crowd of 1000 there.
And of course you'll get your big crowd in the Grand Final, you always will!
I'm sure there'll be an assessment done, but there may need to be an extra marketing officer and perhaps a communications officer in place (at the local level)...just my opinion.
The thing is, the level of promotion is greater with Premier League football grand finals than it was when they played in the 2001 SFL Grand Final where only 4,800 attended between the same two clubs on a warm, sunny afternoon.
I just feel that with a greater effort to actively get out there and promote the league and its clubs and players all season rather than this continuation of falling in line behind the Devils/AFL Tasmania and every single little request they trot out, which benefits the Devils and noone else - actually standing out on their own two feet so-to-speak - they'll be much better off for it.

Sportstalk07 said:
Yep, Dreams Wilkinson was there in the booth with Derek Bird and one other I think, now Dreams is an Independent on the NTFL board I think.
Might have been the case about Triple S' demise, just nothing was said about it.
They weren't too bad in broadcasting the NTFL games at York Park (Aurora), Youngtown (my adopted home :p) and Windsor Park
Money talks! Sadly...:(
I remember them being featured on Duff's TV show years ago.
And yes that's exactly right, the old adage 'money talks....' does come into play.
The SFL broadcasts were very hamstrung by the fact that they were on stations with limited output and small listener base.
Huon-FM was only able to be heard in the Huon, and Tasman-FM was pretty much only able to be picked up in the far South East.
It was faintly audible up here in town, but used to drift in and out.
I remember listening to the NTFL v SFL game from Aurora where the North won by a point with Jock McGregor being disallowed a mark on the goal-line right near the final siren on Tasman-FM, kept going in and out in waves but was good to listen it.

Sportstalk07 said:
Very gutless of the players to post shit on the coach when they can't front up to the fact that they might of f***** up. (take the final 6-7 games of the season as an example)
Personally, I think Hobart need a cleanout of the dead wood (either at the board level or in the playing stocks), I just can't work out how they were so dangerous in 2006 and turned to totally inconsistent in 2007.
If it was me in the same boat as Lamprill and I read that, I'd probably jump too. He'll probably be wanting to be nowhere near the place after the season he's experienced this year.
If the cleanout doesn't occur, it wouldn't surprise me if Hobart misses the finals for a few seasons to come...
That website used to rile him up something shocking, coming from someone who knew him quite well.
There'd been calls from people within the club to remove the message board on that website for several years before it was finally removed - several years too late and too much damage caused by the time it was removed, I might add.
I read various posts there during the season that:
● He should take a paycut to help keep certain players (when I don't think he was being paid very much at all to begin with)
● That he was a 'party coach' - allegedly out 'till 6am on a weeknight with some of the senior players drinking after a training session late in the season. I've heard conflicting stories on that one.
● That the performance of the senior side was entirely his fault through poor coaching tactics, that he favoured certain players etc.

To be honest, from what I've seen on that website and from what a few opposition players have told me around the place, the problem is with the cockiness and arrogance of many of their young players.
One Premier League player told me a month or so back, "When I started out Hobart used to have pretty down to earth, hardworking blokes in their side who just got on with it. These days it's full of mouthy little c*nts who trap off all day, ya just wanna belt 'em every time ya step out on the ground with this lot."
Hobart needs more of a culture cleansing than anything, from the top down.
The tail tries to wag the dog in most instances and we've been seeing this for much of the last 10-12 years.
I have it on seriously good authority (and I do mean serious ;) ) from a particular person within the SFL that 'Philip Baker is a massive problem for Hobart - the league find him simply impossible to do business with because of his attitude and with him in charge the club will continue to go absolutely nowhere and no favours will be done for the club'.
The boardroom problems at Hobart go way back further than this current crew it has to be said.
Been a problem for many years. Too much ego getting in the way of everyday business, pissing and moaning about the club struggling but won't accept help from anybody - the cycle continues.
I doubt Hobart will miss the finals in the coming years, they'll continue to be better performed than Lauderdale and Brighton but may be below Kingborough on the occasional year here and there.

I spoke with a few people at the G/Final and there are at least four Premier League clubs looking for coaches next season, New Norfolk, Clarence, Brighton, and Hobart, this is going to be an interesting few weeks to see who goes where. and who has the most to offer.
Was told John Edge (Hobart Lions' Under 19's coach for the past few years) was thinking of tossing the hat in the ring for both the Hobart Lion and Brighton coaching jobs.
Who's our bets on for the Norfik, Clarence, Brighton & Lionz jobs?
Speaking of rumours, there was one floating around yesterday - I've heard about this one a couple of times now - that Channel are talking of vacating the Regional League.
Anyone else heard that one? Cadoras?

One Premier League player told me a month or so back, "When I started out Hobart used to have pretty down to earth, hardworking blokes in their side who just got on with it. These days it's full of mouthy little c*nts who trap off all day, ya just wanna belt 'em every time ya step out on the ground with this lot."

One person immediately springs to mind - Master D. Gray.:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speaking of rumours, there was one floating around yesterday - I've heard about this one a couple of times now - that Channel are talking of vacating the Regional League.
Anyone else heard that one? Cadoras?

There is always rumours flying around this time of the year. I've heard a few now, Guess in the next few weeks we will find out won't we. ;)

Sunday finals a joke

Surely Clarence playing a Sunday final only 6 days out from the big one contributed to their poor showing on Saturday.

Ok, Newett is the best coach in the state & is destined to coach at a higher level but based on their Prelim form, Clarence man for man are clearly more talented than the pies.

Good on Newett I say. He's a super bloke and will make a great coach of the Devils one day.

Duff.

There is always rumours flying around this time of the year. I've heard a few now, Guess in the next few weeks we will find out won't we. ;)

Saw a 3 page letter from solicitors acting on behalf of Channel football club that was sent to each Old Scholars club with a proposal to join our league.

We at OHA had a good chat about the issue at our last committee meeting.

Saw a 3 page letter from solicitors acting on behalf of Channel football club that was sent to each Old Scholars club with a proposal to join our league.

We at OHA had a good chat about the issue at our last committee meeting.

Like I said - we will find out for sure whats happening in regards to Channel in the next few weeks won't we.

Like I said - we will find out for sure whats happening in regards to Channel in the next few weeks won't we.

I suppose we will.

From what i hear talking to other old scholar clubs it would be unlikely that they would be accepted to the league.

Proud club with a lot of history would be a shame to see them leave the regional league.

Russel never attends anymore, at least in 2005 he said he wouldn't be anymore, he went to one game because he said he was pretty confident of us winning it I believe it was at the TCA Ground..when Hobart were the Tigers again... Kingpin will remember that day fondly....;)

You should say screaming bloody murder as Russel wasn't one to swear, a lot of the kids would cop a cob full from Russ when they swore, he's heavily into religion (apparently, I heard he was religious at one point..)

kingpin, is there a chance of a return for old Jungles and his drum? Talk to him at the end of 2005 and he needed to get his drum fixed, apparently a New Norfolk supporter smashed it, and a couple of his drum sticks.

Not a bad bloke, talked to him down Kingston as well.

Devonport, give me reason to laugh every year with their poaching tactics and support from the council just to keep afloat. Thanks for memories Perry! Chokers. :D

What's Ned's favorite TV Show????..............Home & Away:D
show me the noose!!!

One person immediately springs to mind - Master D. Gray.:D
That name was mentioned, yes ;) A few names were bandied forward, C.Beck, F.Reeves and M.Butters were three other names ventured.
Duff TV said:
Surely Clarence playing a Sunday final only 6 days out from the big one contributed to their poor showing on Saturday.

Ok, Newett is the best coach in the state & is destined to coach at a higher level but based on their Prelim form, Clarence man for man are clearly more talented than the pies.

Good on Newett I say. He's a super bloke and will make a great coach of the Devils one day.
From what I saw on the weekend, Clarence were rubbish at their delivery of the ball into their forward line.
They did look knackered yes, but I still think the Pies would've won the match regardless, maybe not by 68-points though. ;)
Kind of reminds me of Hobart's effort in 2003 where they got smashed by 110-points by North in the Grand Final.
There was absolutely no way known North were 110-points better than Hobart that year, Hobart flogged them at the same ground in about round 10, and lost with a kick on the siren late in the season at the TCA.
Fact was, Hobart had played three very tough finals leading up to the day, including a Sunday Prelim Final in the rain against Clarence which went down to the last 2 seconds to decide it.
North had a very easy finals campaign by comparison, with a couple of easy wins at home against not so strong opposition, had a week's break then had the added bonus of adding Devils listed playrs to their grand final side on the day.
It was a recipe for a one-sided disaster - and proved as much.
And the crowd of 4,289 all knew it, even the Hobart supporters turned up knowing they weren't going to win it.
North were a good side that year, but it would've been a cracking game had both sides at their full peek. Would've been one of those 50/50 deciders.
Heard from someone on Saturday that Newett was retiring from the Pies on Saturday, never posted it because I thought it wasn't true - turns out from what I read in the paper today it could be a possibility.
Great coach, destined to go much higher.

Russel never attends anymore, at least in 2005 he said he wouldn't be anymore, he went to one game because he said he was pretty confident of us winning it I believe it was at the TCA Ground..when Hobart were the Tigers again... Kingpin will remember that day fondly....;)
Ha ha ha! I certainly do. :p

The Majestic said:
You should say screaming bloody murder as Russel wasn't one to swear, a lot of the kids would cop a cob full from Russ when they swore, he's heavily into religion (apparently, I heard he was religious at one point..)
Yes, I'd have to say as rabid as he was, I never heard him drop an F-bomb or C-bomb or any other language at any match I was ever at.
Bloody oath those kids made up for it though!
They would've fitted in nicely on a wild night at the old Blood Valley years ago!

The Majestic said:
kingpin, is there a chance of a return for old Jungles and his drum? Talk to him at the end of 2005 and he needed to get his drum fixed, apparently a New Norfolk supporter smashed it, and a couple of his drum sticks.
Not a bad bloke, talked to him down Kingston as well.
Not as far as I'm aware, no.
Haven't spoken to him for about a year, I saw him in the city one day and he looked completely unrecogniseable from what he used to look like.
Wearing conservative, neat attire, had had a haircut (almost bald now) and was doing a lot of work for the Salvation Army he was saying.
Goes to the odd Kingborough game, but is nowhere near as heavily involved as he used to be.
He may come back to Hobart one day, should they ever get off their arse and get their colours and emblem back (they've been given green light to do it mind you) but like many, he won't have a bar of the place when it's like it currently is.
I know he was pretty ticked off that the Hobart committee banned him from bringing his drum to the anniversary game a few years back, and was a reason for his non-attendance.
Plus, I don't think football's his main focus in life like it used to be - and fair enough too - we all take different chapters in life.
He was a pretty way out there sort of bloke, but it was a lot of fun standing at the footy near him all those years ago.

Yes, I'd have to say as rabid as he was, I never heard him drop an F-bomb or C-bomb or any other language at any match I was ever at. Bloody oath those kids made up for it though!
They would've fitted in nicely on a wild night at the old Blood Valley years ago!

:D I remember at the '99 Grand Final the kids were swearing and this lady told them to stop, and then a moment later Sanderson runs past and she screams "You take it up the ass, Sanderson" and other words, damn she let loose on the guy.

But you are right the kids behind the goals (I remember my days there, wasn't as rowdy as them:p) they'd swear and carry on, I remember old Brenton Tapp copped a lot of crap there one day, he was kicking out and they'd all chant "Tappy's a w***er!" poor guy copped it all day, he turned around a couple of times...there was a couple of kids there throwing mud and whatever else they found at the back of the umpire there as well.

And you are right about Russ, he'd cop a lot of abuse, people would swear at him, and South Launceston supporters one day were throwing rubbish from the Beakley-Creswell Stand, of course he'd mouth off and taunt them, once the siren sounded and we won he stood on the bench and gave them a big mouthful. I think the worst he has ever said was "Bloody"

Not as far as I'm aware, no.
Haven't spoken to him for about a year, I saw him in the city one day and he looked completely unrecogniseable from what he used to look like.
Wearing conservative, neat attire, had had a haircut (almost bald now) and was doing a lot of work for the Salvation Army he was saying.
Goes to the odd Kingborough game, but is nowhere near as heavily involved as he used to be.
He may come back to Hobart one day, should they ever get off their arse and get their colours and emblem back (they've been given green light to do it mind you) but like many, he won't have a bar of the place when it's like it currently is.
I know he was pretty ticked off that the Hobart committee banned him from bringing his drum to the anniversary game a few years back, and was a reason for his non-attendance.
Plus, I don't think football's his main focus in life like it used to be - and fair enough too - we all take different chapters in life.
He was a pretty way out there sort of bloke, but it was a lot of fun standing at the footy near him all those years ago.

I heard a lot of the stories from him about what happened at Hobart, he also said that because of complaints down that way (apparently the drum echoes around where Kingston Beach Oval is..) that he could only bang it a certain number of times...at least that is what he said at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back