Oppo Camp Taylor Adams (Traded to Swans 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

He is currently a fringe player at Sydney, primarily utilised to fill gaps in the midfield as needed. It’s likely that he will fulfill his contract there and then retire.

Had he remained with the Pies, he might have seen more opportunities this year due to injuries within the team. However, the reality is that his role would still have been that of a fringe player, stepping in to cover short-term needs until retirement.

Selecting to go to Sydney has given him more financial stability through a longer term deal than the pies were willing to offer.

Adams didn't get selected?

Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

He is currently a fringe player at Sydney, primarily utilised to fill gaps in the midfield as needed. It’s likely that he will fulfill his contract there and then retire.

Had he remained with the Pies, he might have seen more opportunities this year due to injuries within the team. However, the reality is that his role would still have been that of a fringe player, stepping in to cover short-term needs until retirement.

Selecting to go to Sydney has given him more financial stability through a longer term deal than the pies were willing to offer.

Thats the thing though, he was still performing pretty well in that forward role last year. Someone was listing his score involvements or assists and they were pretty high on average.

Fly was never blowing smoke up his arse.

Reality also , Pies dont turf Veterans because they hit 31 or 32 if you are still performing. He couldve earned more 1 year contracts , he didnt believe in himself

Edit: End of the day i guess he made the right call if he thought sydney were a better chance to make a GF than pies

I get him not being selected in their best 23. Makes total sense with that list.
However, I don’t understand him not being an emergency last week and this. That to me, hints at some issues between him and the club as was rumoured when he was dropped.
Sydney would probably be ok to keep him as depth but I also think they’d be happy to move him on now if someone else will take his contract.

Depending on what is important to you (money, or playing top level footy as would be a childhood dream), and with hindsight being 20/20, I would say his trade request would be viewed as a mistake now. Mitchell’s issues this year would have seen him playing that role, I have no doubt. He would have remained entrenched in our best 22 as he was last year. Who knows how the season would have panned out. He would have been better than Sullivan and would have freed up Nick to be more outside and make better use of the ball.

I also think we’ve been very benevolent to our veterans and he too, would have been extended another year. His nett gain essentially may turn out to be one additional year of paydays, where he plays in the twos.

Was an objectively sound decision.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Not if you factor in the midfield depth at Sydney and the fact that his major reason for leaving was to have more time in the midfield.

Joining a team in the hope players ahead of you will be injured or in poor form, is not a great strategy .

If it was solely a decision based on financial benefits then he has done well, but I doubt that was the issue driving him to leave the club he loves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get him not being selected in their best 23. Makes total sense with that list.
However, I don’t understand him not being an emergency last week and this. That to me, hints at some issues between him and the club as was rumoured when he was dropped.
Sydney would probably be ok to keep him as depth but I also think they’d be happy to move him on now if someone else will take his contract.

Depending on what is important to you (money, or playing top level footy as would be a childhood dream), and with hindsight being 20/20, I would say his trade request would be viewed as a mistake now. Mitchell’s issues this year would have seen him playing that role, I have no doubt. He would have remained entrenched in our best 22 as he was last year. Who knows how the season would have panned out. He would have been better than Sullivan and would have freed up Nick to be more outside and make better use of the ball.

I also think we’ve been very benevolent to our veterans and he too, would have been extended another year. His nett gain essentially may turn out to be one additional year of paydays, where he plays in the twos.
Leon Cameron said the reason Adams wasn't chosen last week as an emergency was mainly because they chose specific positional players such as Ladhams, as a ruck replacement. They thought they had enough similar type players already named in their best 23 to cover the mid/forwards if there was a late out.

I'm not giving an opinion either way, but that's how Cameron explained it last week.

Ladhams (ruck) & Francis (defender) makes sense this week. Cleary, instead of Adams not so much 🥴

Last edited:
There’s a little bit of a sick irony in that he was just what we required when our soldiers went down and we needed someone tough in the middle to stop the runs of, especially
  • Essendon
  • Freo
  • Sydney
We may even be playing in a gf if he had stayed

Last edited:
There’s a little bit of a sick irony in that he was just what we required when our soldiers went down and we needed someone tough in the middle to stop the runs of, especially
  • Essendon
  • Freo
-Sydney
It’s been a lose / lose situation really. He was already a required and contracted player when he requested the trade. But he became more required without Mitchell

• Essendon
  • Freo
  • Sydney
Tay will be thinking the same thing.

Not if you factor in the midfield depth at Sydney and the fact that his major reason for leaving was to have more time in the midfield.

Joining a team in the hope players ahead of you will be injured or in poor form, is not a great strategy .

If it was solely a decision based on financial benefits then he has done well, but I doubt that was the issue driving him to leave the club he loves.

We’ve been through this before. You don’t understand professional sport. Or finance. Go away.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Taylor Adams (Traded to Swans 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back