Oppo Camp Taylor Adams (Traded to Swans 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Every single one of you talking about loyalty would have done the exact same as him. Why doesn’t the club show loyalty to a guy who gave his all for the club by offering a 3-year contract instead of 1? Why does he have to be the one to prove his loyalty?

Side with workers over corporats.

Every single one of you talking about loyalty would have done the exact same as him. Why doesn’t the club show loyalty to a guy who gave his all for the club by offering a 3-year contract instead of 1? Why does he have to be the one to prove his loyalty?

It's entirely in his hands. Play well enough to make yourself indispensable. Few players over 30 get 3 year contracts.

Whether or not he has any family is irrelevant b/s(he has a partner and two golden retrievers). The idea that a professional sportsman owes any "loyalty" to a sporting club is anachronistic bullshit. Clubs cut players in a heartbeat. The other side of the coin is we would hate it if our club kept players on out of some sense of loyalty.

At the end of 23, Adams' options looked like being on a last contract year playing in a non-preferred position (which could easily lead to retirement) versus a certain three year deal elsewhere. On any rational review of those two options, there was only ever one option.

The idea that someone reaches an amount of earnings that is "enough" and they should then show more "loyalty"? That is even crazier. And completely ignores the reality of human nature where increased earnings leads to increased expenditure.
For Adams to sulk about playing a new role was also unbecoming of a leader. Plenty of better players have adapted to different roles as they have grown older. That's another aspect of his decision which irked me. From the outside looking in, he seemed to play almost the same role at Sydney this year!

Some players still knock back bigger money offers to stay with their club. It goes beyond the idea that clubs are ruthless and will cut you in a heartbeat. That's true. It doesn't mean you have to play that game. Why was Treloar so heartbroken when we moved him on? He wanted to be a Pie for life. He loved his mates and he loved the army and still spoke about them after he moved to the Dogs. There's still room for loyalty and emotion in the game even at the highest level.

Any player who has been in the system for over a decade and hasn't set himself up financially is doing something very wrong. At that stage you have scope for making decisions based on more than just monetary reward.

Anyway-that's just my opinion. Many others say take the money and run.

For Adams to sulk about playing a new role was also unbecoming of a leader. Plenty of better players have adapted to different roles as they have grown older. That's another aspect of his decision which irked me. From the outside looking in, he seemed to play almost the same role at Sydney this year!

Some players still knock back bigger money offers to stay with their club. It goes beyond the idea that clubs are ruthless and will cut you in a heartbeat. That's true. It doesn't mean you have to play that game. Why was Treloar so heartbroken when we moved him on? He wanted to be a Pie for life. He loved his mates and he loved the army and still spoke about them after he moved to the Dogs. There's still room for loyalty and emotion in the game even at the highest level.

Any player who has been in the system for over a decade and hasn't set himself up financially is doing something very wrong. At that stage you have scope for making decisions based on more than just monetary reward.

Anyway-that's just my opinion. Many others say take the money and run.
If only all the players just got paid the same like when Mr. McHale was coach. And Mr. Wren might hand out a sling or two.

The concept of setting oneself up financially is extremely subjective.

I’ve got no issue what he did, didn’t like the way he did it.

That's totally fine, we don't have to feel sorry for him either.

How is looking after your family selfish domus? Syd offered him 3 years. It would be well known he’d be getting 1 year deals from us like all the oldies. This is his career. More to life than football
But those 'oldies' are still going around. Adams went into this season as a 30 yr old. Probably would have had another 4 years if he stayed at the Pies, just like his teammates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are 3 reasons to why Adams decided to leave. 1 was not a long enough contract. 2 he was pushed out of his favoured role and 3 I think he was emotional about not getting the chance to prove himself fit for the GF. I said it at the time it was a brave move for him to leave like he did and full credit for that. Unfortunately In hindsight he would have played 95% of this year in his favoured role if no injuries occured and it probably would have gotten us into finals considering lacking those inside mids this year really hurt us. Now he's ironically in the same boat at Sydney having to play that half forward role. Adams is arguably worse off despite the length of his contract as he would never have been dropped with us and definitely would be playing next year so that's 2 of the 3 yrs anyway. Will prove to be a poor move on his behalf and will look even worse if we go on to do well in finals again next year and he's still in the same boat. He should have known he was valued at Collingwood and I feel he moved more because of emotions. The idea of a longer contract and possibly playing his main role justified it in his mind. He couldn't have predicted the future but funnily enough my mum said this would happen to him months ago. Funny how having an outside perspective can sometimes shred some truthful insight.

There are 3 reasons to why Adams decided to leave. 1 was not a long enough contract. 2 he was pushed out of his favoured role and 3 I think he was emotional about not getting the chance to prove himself fit for the GF. I said it at the time it was a brave move for him to leave like he did and full credit for that. Unfortunately In hindsight he would have played 95% of this year in his favoured role if no injuries occured and it probably would have gotten us into finals considering lacking those inside mids this year really hurt us. Now he's ironically in the same boat at Sydney having to play that half forward role. Adams is arguably worse off despite the length of his contract as he would never have been dropped with us and definitely would be playing next year so that's 2 of the 3 yrs anyway. Will prove to be a poor move on his behalf and will look even worse if we go on to do well in finals again next year and he's still in the same boat. He should have known he was valued at Collingwood and I feel he moved more because of emotions. The idea of a longer contract and possibly playing his main role justified it in his mind. He couldn't have predicted the future but funnily enough my mum said this would happen to him months ago. Funny how having an outside perspective can sometimes shred some truthful insight.
I think had Adams been still at Collingwood we would both be playing finals but I also think he would be first one out of our 1993 players (Crisp, Mitchell, Mihocek, Hoskin-Elliott).

Tay gave his all for the Pies.
You have nothing.

Everyone knows that.

It's the manner in which he up and left (as a leader) that people have issue with.

The Swans would have sold him the dream, Mills injured, Parker cooked etc, yet here Tay is watching September like all his Collingwood teammates. This one would burn him even more if they go on to win the whole thing.

Do you call Bobby Hill selfish for coming to us? Howe? Crisp? Do you think others are selfish when they move company for a position that offers more money, job security, or they think will give them a role that they'd prefer to do or whatever combination of reasons Taylor had. Will you counsel your grandkids to not move jobs for opportunities that they think will be better - as doing so is bloody selfish and sooking it up.

Or are you simply thinking of it selfishly, as Taylor's decision impacts Collingwood and thus as a supporter, you.

How's that going for Tay Tay?

That's totally fine, we don't have to feel sorry for him either.
Exactly. He made his bed and he can lie in it. He had more chance of midfield minutes with us than the Swans but he wanted the security of a longer contract. He can’t be totally surprised the queue in front of him was pretty long up there.

Do you call Bobby Hill selfish for coming to us? Howe? Crisp? Do you think others are selfish when they move company for a position that offers more money, job security, or they think will give them a role that they'd prefer to do or whatever combination of reasons Taylor had. Will you counsel your grandkids to not move jobs for opportunities that they think will be better - as doing so is bloody selfish and sooking it up.

Or are you simply thinking of it selfishly, as Taylor's decision impacts Collingwood and thus as a supporter, you.
The context of every individual decision is different. Crisp was told he was going to Collingwood as part of a deal.

Bobby was in and out of the Giants line up before his illness struck and had wanted to get out for at least two years. He was not in the leadership group and playing every week.

How definitely turned his back on Melbourne hoping to get more time as a forward. I'd not blame Melbourne fans for being unhappy when he left.

It has been so overblown how he left.

This is literally what player agents do, having conversations in the background at all stages of the year.
Yep. No hard feelings and quite frankly if he had stayed at Collingwood and we suffered no injuries he might be facing the same fate. No doubt early season long term injuries at the swans gave him more game time than he might have otherwise got. Now they are back, it’s not so easy to get selected.

That said, Every chance he comes back in after the giants belt them today.

It has been so overblown how he left.

This is literally what player agents do, having conversations in the background at all stages of the year.

Honestly I feel like if he never got injured and played in the GF last year, more people would be okay with him looking after his best interests.

The narrative would probably be “he’s a champion of the club and a premiership hero, good on him for getting the $$$ from Sydney” instead of what it is now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Taylor Adams (Traded to Swans 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back