Oppo Camp Taylor Adams (Traded to Swans 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

It seems money was the true motivation. I still find it staggering for a man nearing the end of a well-paid career choosing a few extra grand over the chance to win a flag with the club he has loved so passionately, not to mention playing at the G in front of 70k-80k every second week.
I obviously dont know the answer, but, let's assume a few things.
  • 2024 last year at collingwood
  • two more years at Swans, say at $500k per year (thats minimum Im guessing)
  • that's $1 million gross for two years work
    • not just a few extra dollars
  • that sort of dollar sets ya kids or pet Labrador up for life
  • I dont think he has capacity to set himself up as a share trader post football - for most, I think its a quite reasonable decision
  • sux as a Pies supporter, but Im not paying his bills

A portion of a quote from a Swans supporter:

I simply can't believe that he would have thrown his toys out the pram over not being selected in the side. It would be completely unreasonable on Adams' part.

I will preface this by saying that I do like Adams and think he has been and can be valuable for us going forward.

But he has:

- Moved to a club with four gun midfielders in it, meaning he'd have to play predominantly forward, where he wasn't overly content at Collingwood.

So, I ask again, why has he moved to a club with a stronger midfield where he has spent just as much time forward as he did playing with us? Being played out of position was his reason for leaving yet as the poster says, he must have known how strong their midfield is and understood the odds of him playing there for long periods were not good. So, he has walked out knowing he was most likely playing the same role at another club.

It seems money was the true motivation. I still find it staggering for a man nearing the end of a well-paid career choosing a few extra grand over the chance to win a flag with the club he has loved so passionately, not to mention playing at the G in front of 70k-80k every second week.

He made his bed.

His manager did a great job securing that kind of contract, hats off to him also!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It was Adams choice to leave though. Not the club's.
Not sure anyone is claiming he did not make the decision.
He had a choice and thought he would have a better chance of playing midfield at the Swans (?)
Not sure why. I tend to think his manager gave him some assurances which were never there, and of course there was 3 years rather than 1.

We were as accepting that he would go as he accepted he would leave.
Not sure either side was overjoyed with the outcome.
Pies would have kept him under our terms and he would have stayed under his managers.
Was not to be.

My point is I hold no ill will toward him, he definitely did not get the midfield time he left for and he would have been incredibly handy if he stayed.

The club would almost definitely be in the finals if he stayed.

I think Collingwood, Taylor and us supporters would have been happier IF he stayed.

Water under the bridge though

Not sure anyone is claiming he did not make the decision.
He had a choice and thought he would have a better chance of playing midfield at the Swans (?)
Not sure why. I tend to think his manager gave him some assurances which were never there, and of course there was 3 years rather than 1.

We were as accepting that he would go as he accepted he would leave.
Not sure either side was overjoyed with the outcome.
Pies would have kept him under our terms and he would have stayed under his managers.
Was not to be.

My point is I hold no ill will toward him, he definitely did not get the midfield time he left for and he would have been incredibly handy if he stayed.

The club would almost definitely be in the finals if he stayed.

I think Collingwood, Taylor and us supporters would have been happier IF he stayed.

Water under the bridge though
I was responding to a poster who said the club assumed Mitchell would be fit for 24 & Fin would do better, so that was the context of my reply. His leaving left us with little choice but to rely solely on Mitchell & hope for Fin.

I couldn't give a rat's about Tay. He could have stayed. He had a contract with us. He chose not to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been saying this goes back some 6 months. I just don't think it was a last minute decision . I could be wrong though. I like Tay
They tried to recruit him at the end of 2022, didn't they? Talks with his manager were probably ongoing from then - particularly as we added Titch - a direct competitor.

I obviously dont know the answer, but, let's assume a few things.
  • 2024 last year at collingwood
  • two more years at Swans, say at $500k per year (thats minimum Im guessing)
  • that's $1 million gross for two years work
    • not just a few extra dollars
  • that sort of dollar sets ya kids or pet Labrador up for life
  • I dont think he has capacity to set himself up as a share trader post football - for most, I think its a quite reasonable decision
  • sux as a Pies supporter, but Im not paying his bills
Would 2024 really have been his last season at the Pies? I don’t think so. Just have a look at the players playing well past 30 here. It wasn’t as if Adams was not best 22. He would have played at the Pies for another 2-3 yrs IMO.

Adams gave great service to us and played well in big games
His disposal let him down at times but he was brave hard and relentless on the big stage
His loss probably cost us 2022 prelim
That’s all true. But he abandoned the club. Unfortunately, for me, that will always be remembered when I think of him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Taylor Adams (Traded to Swans 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back