TDF11: Stage 18 - Pinerolo --> Galibier Serre-Chevalier 200.5 km

Remove this Banner Ad

1.12 to Cadel is a good time for the TT. All comes down to tomorrow. will Andy make another attack or will it be Frank

57 seconds, Evans can still win this thing, it will be damn close, I reckon they'll cross the line just about together tomorrow (unless Andy is stuffed), so it will come down to the TT.

Time to sleep.

Cadel 2.2
Schleck 2.5

Its a race in two.

No love for Frank?

I can see him attacking first tomorrow to wear Cadel out.

If Cadel doesn't respond - Frank wins

If Cadel does respond Frank sits up and eases Andy back up to them, having worn Cadel out a bit

Evans is a gun. Probably taken too much out of himself, but seriously what a guy. Noone can criticise him after seeing that effort. Nobody wanted to help him, but he did all he could. Pulled those lazy bludgers up the mountain. So bloody annoying though, why couldn't Europcar have helped a little bit earlier and wtf was with that pathetic chase coming off the Isozard?

Anyway, if the time trial was tomorrow I reckon Evans would have a chance, Andy could struggle tomorrow as well but Frank is looking really strong as well, could Contador help Evans tomorrow?

That's an awesome last 15ks by Evans, but he shouldn't have put himself in that position.

At the start of the day there were only 5 guys who could win it - Evans, Schlecks, Contador, and if they dicked around, Voeckler.
All of them, except Voeckler had to make serious time on evans.
So If one of them goes - you go after him. the fact that he would have pulled the others along doesn't matter - they all had to pass him at some stage to make time on him. But to not go until Andy had 4 mins just showed - I don't know - no strategy, no confidence, whatever.
He should have gone as soon as the lead reached 1 minute.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cadel and andy fighting for favouritism now at around the 2.3 mark. Frank at 11.

Cant cadel just follow whichever schleck goes to the front and stay there?

That's an awesome last 15ks by Evans, but he shouldn't have put himself in that position.
Evans couldn't have known that Contador and Sanchez where going hit the wall so easily. Had he chased earlier he gets within a minute of Andy but then Contador/Sanchez/Frank/Basso ride straight past him in the final 3 km.

At the start of the day there were only 5 guys who could win it - Evans, Schlecks, Contador, and if they dicked around, Voeckler.
So If one of them goes - you go after him. the fact that he would have pulled the others along doesn't matter - they all had to pass him at some stage to make time on him. But to not go until Andy had 4 mins just showed - I don't know - no strategy, no confidence, whatever.

They didn't realise that EVERYONE ELSE bar Cadel was stuffed. Normally Contador, Sanchez, Basso, etc would all have gone hard and together have bridged the gap, but Cadel led them all up the mountain and dropped them all.

...starts slow clap
Well done Evans, did Australia proud. Voeckler and the commentators can get ****ed. Evans had to do as much work as someone who broke away 60km to go. WTF.
I wish Cadel had some friends...or a freakin brother. Frank will probably win Andy the tour tomorrow:eek: Cadel needed Contador to help...pity he had to stop taking the roids for this tour.

Does normal TT ability go out the window after two big mountain stages? Everyone says Cadel is so much better in the TT, but I wouldn't be surprised after two huge stages that everyone is ****ed and the mountains act as a bit of an equalizer for the TT.

Fantastic effort from Cadel up the Galibier, but they should never have let Schleck get so far in front. Losing almost 2 minutes on a descent and valley while in a peloton ... it's not like they should have had to use up much more energy to keep Schleck at 2-3 minutes in front.

Clearly banking on the fact that Schleck went too early and would crack. He was only one k out.

That stage goes one k longer and Schleck would've burnt all that energy for nought.

Plus Cadel would've thought Sanchez, Basso and Contador would have had plenty more in the tank than they showed.

Oh well, tomorrow is set.

Frank goes away early, Evans chases him and drags Andy (and probably Voeckler) along - Andy jumps Evans at the end and makes another 10-15 secs.

If the Schlecks get it right tomorrow they can finish Evans - but Evans can get 3+ mins back on frank in the Time trial, and probably up to 1:30 on Andy. At best.

Evans needs his team to help him tomorrow. They haven't really been much chop in the mountains (they were good in the TTT).

FFS

Great ride by Cadel at the end there.

But.... he will get r*ped tomorrow a la Sastre a few years back.

Cadel could pull back around a minute on the time trial but reckon he'll be behind more than this by this time tomorrow.

Agree with poster who said as soon as the gap andy made was significant they should of gone.

Voeckler must be on the gear btw

Plus Cadel would've thought Sanchez, Basso and Contador would have had plenty more in the tank than they showed.

But that's the problem - he's relying on the others to do work for him. But he's the one who needs to chase the most. He was in the best position. So Basso & co were waiting for him to chase.

Result - 'You go' - 'No, you go' - 'Whoops, where did Andy go?'

Remove this Banner Ad

TDF11: Stage 18 - Pinerolo --> Galibier Serre-Chevalier 200.5 km

Remove this Banner Ad

Back