Unwritten_Law

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2002
Premiership
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
I heard this a lot last week with both Byrnes and Tenace included in the side.

The game v. Port we started to struggle when they pushed both C.Cornes and Lade forward in the second half. We are going to be exposed big time very soon with Milburn at CHB.

For "team balance" sake we need either Harry Taylor or Lonergan into the side at CHB so we can free up the likes of Milburn and Mackie to be the third men up at contests and to provide rebound off half back.

Poor old fool must be lost.............

This is the Geelong board....we dont have any ****tas playing here.....

You need the Melbourne Board...Here is a link.

Your welcome BDP.

Hey, who you callin' old? :mad:

Wait a minute... and gay!?!? :(

With Lucas out we might have enough tall options down back without needing Taylor. I think we'd need to go with more speedsters. This is one game we'll really miss Wocjinski and we really need Byrnes and Tenace (if they are selected) to play at their best.

I heard this a lot last week with both Byrnes and Tenace included in the side.

The game v. Port we started to struggle when they pushed both C.Cornes and Lade forward in the second half. We are going to be exposed big time very soon with Milburn at CHB.

For "team balance" sake we need either Harry Taylor or Lonergan into the side at CHB so we can free up the likes of Milburn and Mackie to be the third men up at contests and to provide rebound off half back.

I'm wondering why Tom Harley has not come up in the conversation. He is not seen as a CHB option, but Milburn/Lonergan/Taylor are?? Milburn and Taylor(by the looks) are both strong set-up from defense type defenders, not key role players.
Thats the thing... Harley is not a key defender either(strong, reliable one anyway). + he is not the man you want setting the play up from defense. Is his role in the team purely to captain the side and be a 3rd man to a marking contest... What other conclusion could one possibly come to?

Why sacrifice our best set-up defender (Milburn), purely because Harley can't reliably man a key forward??? :confused:

Harley - Captaincy = History ;)

Harry Taylor is not yet ready. We will be even more exposed with him in the side. And Lonergan, well... I am not a fan when it comes to him playing at AFL Level :p

With Lucas out we might have enough tall options down back without needing Taylor. I think we'd need to go with more speedsters. This is one game we'll really miss Wocjinski and we really need Byrnes and Tenace (if they are selected) to play at their best.

terrific use of an oxymoron there!

I'm wondering why Tom Harley has not come up in the conversation. He is not seen as a CHB option, but Milburn/Lonergan/Taylor are?? Milburn and Taylor(by the looks) are both strong set-up from defense type defenders, not key role players.
Thats the thing... Harley is not a key defender either(strong, reliable one anyway). + he is not the man you want setting the play up from defense. Is his role in the team purely to captain the side and be a 3rd man to a marking contest... What other conclusion could one possibly come to?

Why sacrifice our best set-up defender (Milburn), purely because Harley can't reliably man a key forward??? :confused:

So marty, you're chairman of selectors this week. Do you drop Harley?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So marty, you're chairman of selectors this week. Do you drop Harley?

No catempire I wouldn't drop Harley. It does seem that he is restricting the structure of the side though.... especially without Egan playing. I really think Harley is the one to replace Egan, but we all know that role is not his strength... he struggles against the bigger/stronger forwards. Harley also lacks the powerful run or quality disposal, which is almost a prerequisite in todays defender.

I am a big believer that if Harley wasn't captain, his position in the side would be far, FAR from cemented. If we can get leadership from another player.. Ablett / Chapman / Ling etc, Harley has expired... especially in the next few years when Taylor develops and can possibly a key defensive role. Just my 2 cents... happy to discuss.

I am a big believer that if Harley wasn't captain, his position in the side would be far, FAR from cemented.

Really?

Out of curiosity, when was the last game you felt Harley was beaten by his direct opponent?

No catempire I wouldn't drop Harley. It does seem that he is restricting the structure of the side though.... especially without Egan playing. I really think Harley is the one to replace Egan, but we all know that role is not his strength... he struggles against the bigger/stronger forwards. Harley also lacks the powerful run or quality disposal, which is almost a prerequisite in todays defender.

I am a big believer that if Harley wasn't captain, his position in the side would be far, FAR from cemented. If we can get leadership from another player.. Ablett / Chapman / Ling etc, Harley has expired... especially in the next few years when Taylor develops and can possibly a key defensive role. Just my 2 cents... happy to discuss.

Ah yes, but Harley was CHB before Egan came along so why wouldn't he be a good option to play there this week?, i.e I know it's going back a while but he was CHB in 2004 when Scarlett and him were the best defensive duo in the league.
(Don't forget he did play CHB at some stages last year, when we made switches or rotations during a couple of games)

Harley's presence in the backline allows Scarlett to go on his long runs. Playing on the lesser forwards allows him to leave his man and be the third man up in marking contests. No one does it better!
He takes more marks in and around the goal square than any other backman.
He has a role to play and he does it very well.
Running the ball is left to Enright, Woja, Mackie etc.

one thing that REALLY burns me about Bomber is Tenace. Why does he still have faith in him? Its so obvious he does not know how to kick ffs. He should have already been delisted. There are atleast 2 players that deserve a spot ahead of him, it seriously boggles the mind

What an absolute pile of shit.

Noticed the amount of contested marks Harley takes? How often is he soundly beaten by his direct opponent?

Harley is an integral part of our backline.

Really?

Out of curiosity, when was the last game you felt Harley was beaten by his direct opponent?

Last Friday night. A bloke by the name of Chad Cornes. Watch the replay if you think I'm kidding.

Look.... most teams don't require 2 KEY tall defenders. Some do. These are teams we may have issues with while Egan is out. Harley gets beaten by good forwards... if you can't reason with this your simply one eyed.

o why wouldn't he be a good option to play there this week?

Ah ha.. So your willing to ask this question now the blokes name gets brought up, why not ask it when the topic included Milburn / Taylor playing CHB and not Harley?

Read all the posts before you write garbage. I actually started by asking that same question. Pfft...

Its not even an issue with Essendon now anyway... Harley Vs Lucas would have been a MAJOR issue for us.

Last Friday night. A bloke by the name of Chad Cornes. Watch the replay if you think I'm kidding.

Look.... most teams don't require 2 KEY tall defenders. Some do. These are teams we may have issues with while Egan is out. Harley gets beaten by good forwards... if you can't reason with this your simply one eyed.

Pretty sure Harley was on Cornes for a small proportion of the match. But in any event...

Notice anything about the type of player Harley has tended to play on (and demolish) for the past 12 months or so?

They're small.

The Harley haters find this pretty hard to deal with (coincidence that they are also Hunt lovers? Hmm...).

Harley's role as a stopper of opposition smalls is CRUCIAL to Geelong. Someone put up the list of players he has beaten in the past season and it would be unparalleled in the AFL I dare say.

Saying that beacuse he can't step up and play CHB now is a reason to question his value to the team is akin to saying Hunt can't step up and play CHB so he is of no use either.

Just because Harley once upon a time played CHB, doesn't mean he is wed to the position. In fact, it is a testiment to him that he has been able to convert his game so that he is still of value to the team.

Ah ha.. So your willing to ask this question now the blokes name gets brought up, why not ask it when the topic included Milburn / Taylor playing CHB and not Harley?

Read all the posts before you write garbage. I actually started by asking that same question. Pfft...

Its not even an issue with Essendon now anyway... Harley Vs Lucas would have been a MAJOR issue for us.

OK you got me there;):thumbsu:

Just a note for anyone who attends the game this week, it might pay to look at how many different opponents our defenders play on. It's difficult to spot on the telecast sometimes, unless there is a one-on-one contest which the camera is focused on. I think you'll find that Scarlett wont play every minute of the game on Lloyd, and Harley won't play every minute of the game on Johns or whichever opponent he gets. Our defenders rotate quite a bit throughout the game. When Scarlett goes on his forward dashes, it's usually Harley who is manned against the opposition key forward at the time.

Notice anything about the type of player Harley has tended to play on (and demolish) for the past 12 months or so?

They're small.

He may take smaller forwards, Hunt usually gets the dangerous ones though. Ebert, Brown, Davey, etc... etc. Harley is not quick!! Fast forwards are just that, too fast for him. Who are all these small forwards he's beaten? All I recall is B.Johnson tearing his arseh*le out on the last 2 occasions he played on him.

Harley's role as a stopper of opposition smalls is CRUCIAL to Geelong. Someone put up the list of players he has beaten in the past season and it would be unparalleled in the AFL I dare say.

A 'stopper'?? What? The guy struggles with key defensive roles and for that reason rarely gets them. Look closer when your at the game.

Saying that beacuse he can't step up and play CHB now is a reason to question his value to the team is akin to saying Hunt can't step up and play CHB so he is of no use either.

Pfft.. Your as thick as you have ever been. Hunt has speed and a great kick to his advantage... Harley has neither.

Just because Harley once upon a time played CHB, doesn't mean he is wed to the position. In fact, it is a testiment to him that he has been able to convert his game so that he is still of value to the team.

Convert his game?? He is exceptional at playing the 3rd man to a contest and is a great Captain.. thats his thing. One on one he is not that great... at all. He lacks strength of the big boys and speed of the small guys.

If your comparing... Hunt gets a key role nearly every week depending on match-ups, and gets a lot more of the ball than Harley anyway... I dare say he does far more damage with it also.

The fact is this bloke will make way for a player who will be more dimensional for our side. If we get leadership from other sources, it only works in our favour. Defenders today are not like they were 5+ years ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

"Team Balance"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back