Team for next week?

Remove this Banner Ad

Shaw will stay just for his pace, Cook out for Burns and Wakes for Presti.
I am hoping that they don't bring in Rocca as it will unbalance our forward line

would be harsh to drop cook(21 touches 81% eff), but it is the cut throat world of finals football. i thought he did well, he butchered the ball a bit but for his first final but that is about that was 3 or 4 kicks. you have to admire how he got into position to be in the right spots.

cox(11 touches 73% eff), had a super few weeks but stalled a little under finals pressure, could go to gram or goddard but i think his name will come up when they talk about burnsy's replacement.

i think rhyce will be kept in the side to either negate dal santo or just be used for his pure speed.

lockyer has struggled after a stellar 07, but his reputation alone will keep him in the side.

bryan appears to be the dumbest person in the AFL, including that of the rules commitee and admin(i may be wrong) but the difference between his better games and his stinkers is terrible! he had -23 ranking points after 15mins! keep bryan though and tell him to contest everything and we need his stronger frame against the body of stephen king.

i really felt for wakes when presti was picked, nothing against presti but wakes has had a good year but it is a horeses for courses type thing. wakes will towel up kosi(most people can).

IN: Burns, Wakes
OUT: cox(very tough call, but cooks game probably puts cox out), presti

o'brien - milne
brown - riewoldt
wakes - kosi
Lockyer - schnieder

that leaves us with goldy, clarke, cook and maxwell for guys like gwilt, clarke and gardiner.

which ever way it goes i don't envy the selection panel this week!

Tough week at selection this week IMO

INS: Burns, Wood
OUTS : Cook (only to make way for the captain), Bryan

**If Presti is injured replace him with Wakes
**Does anyone know what is going on with Benny J?

My team:

O'Brien Presti/Wakes Maxwell
Lockyer Brown Shaw
Clarke Swan Pendlebury
Thomas Cloke McCarthy
Medhurst Dawes Anthony
Fraser Davis Burns
O'Bree Wood Cox Goldsack

Tough week at selection this week IMO

**Does anyone know what is going on with Benny J?

As far as I know he's not injured, but was rested for the final VFL game. Whilst his form has been terrible over the past 2 months, if Burns doesn't get up I think they'd look at bringing him in. May even consider bringing him in for Lockyer if Burnsy does play.

Whats all the hate for Cook
In: Wakelin, Burns
Out: Presti, Cox

OK, what's with all the hate for Cox?

Has played better than Cook in all of our last 3 games, and shows more long-term potential.

I agree Cook would be stiff, but I can't imagine dropping Cox. If they want to keep Cook in, my guess would be Goldsack out.

I think Wakes will come in for Presti & McCarthy will make way for Burns.

I disagree with the Presti for Wakes omission, although if his shoulder is worse for wear, then thats the logical swap.

But I've been thinking today that the heartbreaking swap for Burns WILL BE McCarthy who, although hasn't been disappointing, is the unlucky person who is playing less of a role in the Magpies set-up than anyone else. Rhyce Shaw is playing an important role, same as Ryan Cook and so is Shannon Cox. So I'm starting to lean towards McCarthy being an unlucky omission for the skipper.

But I've been thinking today that the heartbreaking swap for Burns WILL BE McCarthy who, although hasn't been disappointing, is the unlucky person who is playing less of a role in the Magpies set-up than anyone else. Rhyce Shaw is playing an important role, same as Ryan Cook and so is Shannon Cox. So I'm starting to lean towards McCarthy being an unlucky omission for the skipper.

McCarthy would be like-for-like I suppose, but he's been playing very well, and applies good pressure defensively. Prefer he stayed in.

I'd prefer we dropped either Shaw or Cook for Burns... assuming McCarthy has recovered from the knock he took from Rutten, which clearly affected him in the 2nd half. McCarthy is getting less of the ball at present, but is twice-to-three-times as damaging as either of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd prefer we dropped either Shaw or Cook for Burns... assuming McCarthy has recovered from the knock he took from Rutten, which clearly affected him in the 2nd half. McCarthy is getting less of the ball at present, but is twice-to-three-times as damaging as either of them.

Compare all their roles in the side, and you'll see why its best that McCarthy goes out for Burns. Cookie and Racer play different roles to Burns and are needed. Cook had the most contested possessions of any Magpie on the weekend, and Racer's run is absolutely needed.

Not sure about that... Burns, Cook and McCarthy seemed to go well enough together in the three games we won against Sydney, Port and St. Kilda. I don't think the role that Cook or Shaw plays is that irreplaceable.

Compare all their roles in the side, and you'll see why its best that McCarthy goes out for Burns. Cookie and Racer play different roles to Burns and are needed. Cook had the most contested possessions of any Magpie on the weekend, and Racer's run is absolutely needed.

I'd say contested ball is Burn's specialty and the role which Cook plays is more similar to that of Burn's then the one J-Mac has been playing. McCarthy has been playing more of a flank role then center at most times. Although I think there is an argument to be made for dropping J-mac over Cook or Shaw, I would still rather Shaw or Cook miss out

I think there is a couple of tough calls in this.

Brown vs Wakes vs Presti

Lets assume Presti is fit, if he aint its a no brainer. If he is the question is do we go ahead with Brown. There is no question he is tiring. He had a few kicked on him vs Crows and he got lost horribly a few times. He did do some nice things but you dont get rewarded for that as a back - minimise the mistakes and you are a hero. What will work for Brown is that we probably need his pace to take on Riewoldt. He has done that job before so you would look to back him in. Wakes has experience on his side but unless they feel Presti can handle the big blonde then he misses again.

Burns

Only question is who to bring in for him.

The contenders are Cook, Shaw, Goldsack and Cox for mine. Reality is team balance will probably decide. Cook did some good things but he also did some shocking things (eg last McLeod goal). Certainly got a few touches and got a few more late when it counted. Shaw, v ord first qtr but v v good 2nd half. Kicked one and set up a few as well. Pies 2nd last goal was set up by his tackle. Goldy good early but never got into for the rest of the game. Cox was good but didnt get enough of it for mine. I think they will want Shaws run, Goldy is loved by the coaching staff and will be required for a match up. Its between Cox and Cook. I would drop Cox I think but its a real tough call.

Maxwell.

Do you play him on Hayes? Similar matchup to Thompson isnt he? I would definately do it.

IN
Wood, Burns

OUT
Bryan, McCarthy

Cook was just too good last week to drop. he worked foward and back, tackled hard, won contested footy, and opitimised finals footy from a young man! J-mac is stiff, as was stanely the week before, but someone has to go when the skip comes in. as for bryan, piss off back to carlton. might be teriffic guy around the club, but shit sake, give us something on the field!

Remove this Banner Ad

Team for next week?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back