Team Tradition

Remove this Banner Ad

dr nick

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2002
Dee Why, NSW
AFL Club
Sydney
read in the daily telegraph the other day (so i stand to be corrected) that 9 of the NRL clubs have applied to have their jersey redesigned for next season. little comfort for those who have spent $100+ on what will now be an outdated jersey.:mad:

I refuse to buy any new jumpers because of this. You don't know what your team is going to look like from year to year.

IT SUCKS.

My 1972 Manly jumper will do me fine, the marketing people can get farked.

Agree - it was good to see Cronulla wearing their 'proper' jerseys last weekend (reminds me of the grand finals we whooped them in :D )

Originally posted by nicko18
read in the daily telegraph the other day (so i stand to be corrected) that 9 of the NRL clubs have applied to have their jersey redesigned for next season. little comfort for those who have spent $100+ on what will now be an outdated jersey.:mad:

Think positive, perhaps they all want to change back to their NSWRL jerseys.

Originally posted by TigerCraig
Agree - it was good to see Cronulla wearing their 'proper' jerseys last weekend (reminds me of the grand finals we whooped them in :D )

Definately!

When I saw them in those jumpers I instantly thought - "Cronulla vs. Souths" instead of "Is that the Cowboys .... nah it's the storm .... nah hang on it's the Sharks"

They looked terrific in their old strip.

Manly have rocks in their head for sticking with their current Northern Eagles jumper next year and going back to their traditional jumpers. I guess their main priority has to be to save $$$ but I'm not sure that it costs that much to change the jumper back to the old design.

Fans will come flooding back if they do.....

I'd like to know whose idea the blue shorts for Manly were

Well Manly have had a bit of Blue in their strip on occasions if the Sponsors colours warrant it. Pepsi comes to mind... It's a bit of a sell-out, but you have to do it to some degree to survive these days.

The blue shorts this year were supposed to be for a sponsorship deal with Johnson & Johnson, but the deal fell through at the last minute.

Well, Briedis I've got to say that I hate them.

The shorts should be maroon or white. (Preferably white with a predominantly maroon jersey)

Well, Briedis I've got to say that I hate them.

The shorts should be maroon or white. (Preferably white with a predominantly maroon jersey)

I agree, they suck. But I am getting used to them. The way Manly have played the last two weeks, they might as well run out in pink tutus instead of shorts.

We look like the Broncos who changed their strip to very similar colours this year too.

Originally posted by Briedis

Definately!

When I saw them in those jumpers I instantly thought - "Cronulla vs. Souths" instead of "Is that the Cowboys .... nah it's the storm .... nah hang on it's the Sharks"

They looked terrific in their old strip.

Fans will come flooding back if they do.....

They even had the original 'Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks' logo!
I remember living in Kogarah, I had to decide wether or not to go to the game at Shark Park or Kogorah Oval! That rivalry is dead.

I would never watch Souths vs. The Sharks, but I sure as hell watched Cronulla vs. Souths!

Honestly, some of the inter-urban battle style has gone from league, the clubs now are like American NFL teams, no history, just places for the players to go. (I am not bashing League, I still like it, just making a point)

Guys..

:D Storm's home strip won't ever change:D

But I am a great believer in changing the away strip every few years......marketing, money for the clubs, people who collect them, etc.

Storm will have a new away strip for next year.....(after that horrible purple one;) I can't wait.) I didn't mind the gold one, though many disliked it. Just boils down to preference in the end I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i am convinced that if cronulla chose to go back to their traditional jumpers, as well as st george, souths, manly etc.. sales would hit the roof.

it was definitely good watching the cronulla sutherland sharks running around that game.

i also think that league is not really a game where you need to be absolutely stringent on the colours looking the same, because the sides are clearly separated on the field, unlike soccer where perhaps clashing strips are warranted. thus i think there is no need for away strips.

i also believe that the changing of the strips from year to year is a reason why so many fans do not wear their clubs colours to the games. at an afl game, your hard pressed finding anyone without their colours.

the NRL needs to stick to a jumper and run with it. im sure that if there was a guarantee that the jumper wouldnt change for 20 years, a lot more people would buy one, and thus wear it to the game.

Home jumpers should be the ones that stay the same year in, year out. Helps build tradition. The clubs can play around with the away jumpers for marketing if they like, as long as the home jumpers remains.

Originally posted by The Hippie
Home jumpers should be the ones that stay the same year in, year out. Helps build tradition. The clubs can play around with the away jumpers for marketing if they like, as long as the home jumpers remains.

Spot on Hippie.

yep, agree with ya as well, Hippie. (Same argument should be used over on the AFL board. Lots of precious supporters of certain clubs being stubborn.)

Anyways. I don't mind minor "tweaks" to the jersey every few years, but the feel of the design should remain the same. Go nuts on the away strip, but leave the home jerseys more or less alone.

There's a lot of borelox talked about team tradition. Do you want team jerseys to stay the same but ticket prices to rise at a phenominal rate or what? Because somewhere, something's got to give.

Do you want ticket prices like the:
NFL
NHL
NBA
EPL????

Originally posted by Ell-d5
There's a lot of borelox talked about team tradition. Do you want team jerseys to stay the same but ticket prices to rise at a phenominal rate or what? Because somewhere, something's got to give.

Do you want ticket prices like the:
NFL
NHL
NBA
EPL????

I would blame the high ticket prices in the American Sports leagues more on player payments than bad merchandising....

Originally posted by nicko18
i also believe that the changing of the strips from year to year is a reason why so many fans do not wear their clubs colours to the games. at an afl game, your hard pressed finding anyone without their colours.

Geez Nicho,
I disagree with you on this one.....but I am only talking about the Storm in this case.......just about everyone at Storm games have their colours only.......and I can compare to the Demons.......I can honestly say, its just been recently that the fans have got their colours on......it was very poorly supported in that area in the past.

NOrth Melb. and maybe Essendon and Collingwood fans do wear their colours, but from what I have seen on tv, no more than what the rugby league fans do......however, not being to too many games in NSW I am not really an expert.

Remove this Banner Ad

Team Tradition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back