Technology Review

Remove this Banner Ad

All the slow the game down comments.

We’re talking about 1 review per team in the last 5 mins.

Would take 1 minute max per review. Any longer and it’s inconclusive.

The review in some capacity is inevitable. This won’t be the last game where a team loses due to an error.

When it happens to a big Vic side, you watch how the review gathers momentum.

Adelaide literally missed out on finals last year due to a howler.

There should be something for when two umpires make two different calls on the same play. One umpire definitely called touched which means there is something for us to be annoyed about.

It should have been them conferring with one another - especially when touched is the fist call. Different if a holding the ball turns in to a push in the back and is overturned. You can’t overturn a touched call to a mark because it was touched and therefore not a mark
I really want don’t want to keep digging into this but I need to know if one of the umpires definitely called touched .

I’ve watched it a couple of times but the commentators drown out the umpires

Is there clear audio ?
If so please share

And if so then this is a travesty because this should have been a ball up not a mark to Coterell

Ok.
I’m about to go full sook levels, but should teams be equipped with a player or captain led review? Like a VAR.

It happens too often at AFL level where a call or no call literally decide the outcome of a match.

If teams had ONE review and if successful they maintain it for the final 2-5 mins of a game, would the people be happy??

All this technology. It’s a massive industry. Umpires will make mistakes but it wasn’t even a slight touch. The ball literally smashed him in the upper back and the subsequent mouthing g off was directly because of the horrendous no call.

Ignoring it is just hoping it doesn’t happen in an actual big game.

Thoughts?

Personally, I’d hate the idea but it’s just a part of sport now and the AFL only use it for goals. The direct lead up to a goal is also equally important.

I’d be for teams being allowed ONE ‘challenge’ or ‘review’. Plus one in the last 5 mins should you be successful.
I’m all for the Captains call review
Last quarter
1 only per team

Can’t see the harm in it
Won’t hold up the games more than a goal review

I really want don’t want to keep digging into this but I need to know if one of the umpires definitely called touched .

I’ve watched it a couple of times but the commentators drown out the umpires

Is there clear audio ?
If so please share

And if so then this is a travesty because this should have been a ball up not a mark to Coterell

If there is audio the AFL will bury it.

It is not just our game either but since the four umpire system came it there seems to more blatant errors made.

Maybe there is a communication problem or umpires further away don't want override the closest umpire for fear of offending them?

I only recall a few instances where an override has occurred.

Four umpires was supposed to minimise incorrect decisions but seems to have had the opposite effect.

They really need a sensor in the ball that registers a touch. Would fix those ridiculous hit the post decisions taking so long and would have given quick info to the umpires re the touched ball from the Freo game.
Surely that is possible nowadays without affecting the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They really need a sensor in the ball that registers a touch. Would fix those ridiculous hit the post decisions taking so long and would have given quick info to the umpires re the touched ball from the Freo game.
Surely that is possible nowadays without affecting the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe they are bring in ball tracking technology similar to tennis. Not sure how it will work but that would likely pick those things up

All the slow the game down comments.

We’re talking about 1 review per team in the last 5 mins.

Would take 1 minute max per review. Any longer and it’s inconclusive.

The review in some capacity is inevitable. This won’t be the last game where a team loses due to an error.

When it happens to a big Vic side, you watch how the review gathers momentum.

Adelaide literally missed out on finals last year due to a howler.
So we gotta have results go the other way against Melbourne clubs. Is this even possible in the current umpiring climate?? ;P

It is not just our game either but since the four umpire system came it there seems to more blatant errors made.

Maybe there is a communication problem or umpires further away don't want override the closest umpire for fear of offending them?

I only recall a few instances where an override has occurred.

Four umpires was supposed to minimise incorrect decisions but seems to have had the opposite effect.

Imagine having 10 umpires out there

The game doesn't need 4. It barely needs three

Remove this Banner Ad

Back